Good Bye Tim Ream, Hello Omar Gonzalez

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by USAsoccer1, Oct 11, 2011.

1. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    This shouldn't be about my list, but JK's list.

Here,'s my chart anyway:
    1 - Tim Ream
    2 - Carlos Bocanegra
    3 - Matt Besler
    4 - Brek Shea

2. ekamadio

ekamadio New Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I support calling up Omar, but I also would still like to see Ream. I've never been much of a Ream-hater, but I think Omar is a strong CB with a lot of potential. Why not both?

3. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Here's something for you to think about.

Just last year, 99% of BSers thought that Brek Shea would never have a chance in hell of being an international quality player.

4. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    [​IMG]

5. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Yeah and he wasn't being called up because there were better options, in this case Ream and Fiscal keep getting called up even though there are much better options.

6. ekamadio

ekamadio New Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But why should that be considered out of the question? Bocanegra is slowly down and we all know it, so shouldn't we call up all good CB's with potential?

7. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats why he is starting for the Champs League Rangers. And Gooch looks good.

8. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Rangers were eliminated in Champs League qualification round, then were beat in the Europa League qualification round.

9. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then at least he is starting against the one opponent that matters, Celtic.

10. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not seen enough of Besler to form a worth while opinion. Shea had his opportunity at CB with FCD and he had just as many defensive blunders as Ream. Plus he's settling in nicely at winger.

And after the Colombia match he was not called up until recently. The difference here is that Shea went back to FCD and had an absolutely stellar year. Why should we keep calling up Ream when he's been average at best for the Pink Cows?

11. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    I agree a player needs to be in form for important games.

But if Ream's problem is one of form, and not of class, then he should be called up and get as much time as possible in the USMNT before the serious games start.

12. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that most people are still hung up on his rookie year performance last season. Stellar season, deserved his call-ups. However, he has had less then stellar intl' career and a rather poor club season (this season). The form at which we talk about will be obtained at the club level, similar to what happened with Shea.

Ream has the ability to become a solid intl' player, but quite frankly i think he needs to find some stability at the club level b/c it's being mirrored at the intl' level. And i'm NOT saying every touch is a failure, just the mental lapses continue to follow him. And until he settles that on a consistent level with the Red Bulls, people will continue to question him.

My question is by the time Quals come around, and if Ream hasnt improved, how confident should we be not having tested any other option at least for 20 min?

13. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Many of his defensive shortcomings were also glossed over during his rookie season also, even though they were there.

He's just a rookie, it will get better. He passes so well, don't worry about th eD it will come. He is so composed on the ball, don't worry he will learn, yada, yada, yada...

...when?

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey hey hey...let's leave that crap out of here.

;)

15. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    more reason why i say he should sort these issues out NJRB and let's bring in a CB option in form.

OFF TOPIC: I hope you guys fail miserably against Philly and lose 5-0... Make our weekend that much easier wont ya?

16. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Its funny that the same argument can be made for Agudelo.

17. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I questioned the same with Agudelo in the strikers page. He's been average at best this season as well. The only reason he's getting calls up is the potential he holds. The same reason JK keeps calling up Ream (whether you agree with him or not).

What i find odd is that you look at a player like Ream and Agudelo and they get their callups b/c of potential, but JK has stated that players like Gatt and Mix will be brought in slowly through the Olympic squad despite earning consistent playing time with their clubs. And i know people have been asking for both players (prior to Gatt's injury) to be called up.

18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO it can't because he has been EXCELLENT for Red Bull coming off the bench and that has been his exact role for the USMNT...and he's had success doing it.

When he has started he has been mediocre for both club and country.

19. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and i guess that shows my ignorance of Agudelo's club performance (as i dont watch every NYRB match). I was under the impression his performance has dipped with the Red Bulls. So what you are saying is he's a valued super-sub?

20. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has been EXCELLENT for Red Bull coming off the bench for 45 minutes or less. Any more than that and his effectiveness greatly diminishes. His decision making isn't very good and over the course of 90 minutes it shows.

It should also be noted that he is a terrible partner for Henry since their playing styles are similar. Red Bull relies on Lindpere, Rodgers, and Richards to make quick runs into space. Henry and Agudelo usually provide the final pass.

21. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Read the post I responded to.

Here's what Skevinrules said:
    Here's my response:
    Where did I said he should be called back? My post was just a warning to BSers who love to pronounce USMNT players failure prematurely.

22. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pointing out that at the time they were right. He showed absolutely nothing in his callup against Colombia. Premature? yes it was. But what opened people's eyes was that he returned to FCD and had a stellar season.

Most BSers have been posting he's not ready. Only a few say he'll never make it. Much like Shea, i honestly think that Ream should have been left off the past camp to focus on club (and the November camp as well). However, now with the November camp, January camp and probably February camp Ream wont be playing club ball. So the point is moot.

JK seems rather high on the kid, and he's got potential. But i just didnt think he was ready

23. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    If I didn't think Philly's offense was borderline inept I'd say there was a shot.
    Since LeToux has made his late run I'm sure they can bag a few, but 5?
    This season? Who the hell knows?

Yeah, Juan A has had a hard time lately.

A US forward. Show any glimpse, at any age and you get to keep coming!

Let's see what he learned from this year. He went from fantasy, to the grind of every day work and struggle. Now he knows. What will he do? Up to him now.

George John now being linked with Wigan and Everton in Jan.

24. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know anyone who has come out and said that Ream or Shea are complete failures at the USMNT level.

I think we're all in the same boat. Playing well? Call him up. Not playing well? Go away and maybe get the call later.

Youth talent is tricky. How much time do you invest in guys that are underperforming becuase you think it will pay off later? It's a gamble that makes of breaks coaching careers.

25. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Really? You didn't read Skevin's (and a few other BSers) posts about Ream, or a ton of posts by other BSers about Brek in the past?

Those are the posters I am responding to, not the reasonable posters like you guys. If the content of my posts do not apply to you, you don't need to respond.