Good Bye Tim Ream, Hello Omar Gonzalez

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by USAsoccer1, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking Adu over Agudelo is not much of a risk. One provides a need with natural playmaking abilities, the other provides high talent and potential with no polish or production at competitive international level as a lone striker.

Both need to play and get in tune with their club. Especially Adu.

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Ream is looking like the Mike Burns of this generation.

3. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    prior to the accident. He's still not nearly his former self yet. Doesnt mean we couldnt give him a call up but his past performances should have little to no effect on the decision

4. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It's not like agudelo has proven he can play the international game either. Davies is just terrible and is not deserving of a call-up. We need someone who can come off the bench an score. Buddle I think is fine but we never supply him the balls he needs to score.

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Good grief - Mike Burns? I'm all for over-reacting to a stretch of poor games, but Ream is in a big time sophomore slump and has played ridiculous minutes over the last few years. He's a good player and I'm guessing he will be back for the National team some day, but he doesn't seem ready to me either.

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Mike Burns was actually a pretty good player over many years.

7. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean EA agrees with you, right? :rolleyes:

8. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not since the accident he hasn't.

9. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will disagree with you on that. I have watched him play and score since then. Everyone focuses on his speed or loss of it. But Chichirito is not a fast guy but he has a nose for goal and everyone thinks he's the greatest. Davies still has a nose for a goal and I would love to see him suite up again and see what happens. Brian Ching was not a speedster but he did great things for the US and Davies has that same type of creativity. At least bring him on at the end of the game and see if he can fill that role.

10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicharito is fast. Ching an entirely different player,

11. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can agree to disagree. Our opinions are and will be what they are.

More importantly, he hasn't impressed upon his national team managers that he fills a need at this point in his recovery.

I hope that he shows more improvement next season.

Perhaps he'll get a call in January.

12. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chichirito is not fast or athletic but he is a goal scorer. Yes Ching is a different player but I was speaking about their creativity...

13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicharito actually is fast.

Quite a few poachers actually have a good speed. Good speed and finishing ability can get man far in life.

14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't use the stats below as the final word on who is fastest, but I think it is safe to say that a slow, unathletic player is unlikely to show up at the top. Anyway, Chicharito certainly plays fast which leads to a bunch of goals.
    Davies does not look like he is playing fast this year.

Fastest Top Speed at WC 2010

19.98mph - 32.15km/h - Javier Hernandez (Mexico)
    19.62mph - 31.57km/h - Avraam Papadopoulos (Greece)
    19.57mph - 31.50km/h - Lukas Podolski (Germany)
    19.57mph - 31.50km/h - Konstantinos Katsouranis (Greece)
    19.32mph - 31.10km/h - Victor Obinna (Nigeria)
    19.22mph - 30.93km/h - Gonzalo Higuain (Argentina)
    19.11mph - 30.75km/h - Felipe Melo (Brazil)
    18.83mph - 30.31km/h - Landon Donovan (USA)
    18.80mph - 30.26km/h - Dimitrios Salpingidis (Greece)
    18.72mph - 30.13km/h - Asamoah Gyan (Ghana)
    18.72mph - 30.13km/h - Eric Choupo Moting (Cameroon)
    18.72mph - 30.13km/h - Robbie Findley (USA)
    18.72mph - 30.13km/h - Yuto Nagatomo (Japan)

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    True, he was a decent MLS player, but Tim Ream is better.

16. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I "get" Agudelo at all. Are our forward prospects really that thin that we can't call up anyone else? He hasn't impressed in a long time, and when he does it's his exuberance and sheer perseverance more than anything else.

17. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    start the list...

most of our prospects are just that... prospects. Young and inexperienced. Juan has been hot-n-cold IMO. He shows flashes of quality but then drops in quality. He's got to find consistent PT and form at the Red Bulls.

18. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fully disagree with you...That chart proves nothing. He does not play fast. Most of his goals are touch in goals at the top of the box. He never burns people, he rarely makes beautiful goals with shots, he shoots off his face, I will state it again...he is goal scorer and that is it. Most of all he is with a team that knows how to feed him, put him on Wolverton and his career is over. Lets focus on the problem at hand...Tim Ream being gone.

19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Sure. FIFA's stat department named him as the fastest player in the 1st round of the last World Cup. But he's still just not very fast. We got it.

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Not sure what Chicharito has in common with Davies anyway - Davies strength was in his ability to explode on the dribble. Most DC fans I've seen comment think he's not the same player as he once was. I don't think Davies has the finishing or poaching ability that Chicharito does.

21. US2014

US2014 Red Card

Jun 25, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondolowski is not good enough and is old I rather have a young developing Jozy any day, also we don't even know if Charlie Davies will ever be the player he once used to be he hasn't showed it this year. And I remember people begging for him right before the world cup if he isn't ready now he was definitely not ready back then.

22. US2014

US2014 Red Card

Jun 25, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I hate Mexico and Chicharito you are wrong there was a article I read on yahoo sports that Chicharito was the fastest player in the World Cup. And it looks like his French club Sochaux doesn't even want him back.

23. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that I truly don't understand regarding the Ream situation:

Why do a lot of people think that defenders can develop better overall defending over the years (applying to Ream), but can't develop better passing and field awareness (applying to Gonzalez)?

I'd argue that Gonzalez has a much better chance to develop those two aspects than Ream has at developing his defending.

24. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone considered that Tim Ream may in fact be a Mexican fifth column? The steady stream of horrible goals he gives up could in fact be intentional precision strikes designed to bring down the USMNT from within.

As for Wondolowski: Not sure why you would say last year's golden boot winner who is currently tied for the golden boot lead is not good enough. He hasn't even been given a half a chance with the USMNT. I'm not saying Wondo is definitely the answer but he deserves more of a shot than Agudelo or Davies.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmA3v8v9Udg"]Chris Wondolowski scores a world class goal - YouTube[/ame]

25. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States