Gooch Transfer Speculation

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by andygus, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna chalk it all up to being a WC Year, but it seems that transfer values for mid level internationals is way too high right now. Reading couldn't bring in either African player for something like 3.5 mil each. It seems Gooch's asking price is pretty high, too. Something's gotta give here.

2. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    On a Spurs only message board, a Belgian poster on there said that he's been linked to Spurs (along with Vermaelen) in the papers over there.

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Majeski's "po' boy" talk has not done wonders for Reading's ability to sign players.

By contrast, they are flocking to Portmouth.

4. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Florida
    whats the name of that website?

5. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    COYS.

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Niether has the recently promoted status of the club, but, FTR, they were failing to sign people before his statements.
    And Pompey is tossing around crazy money to get people. JMad simply can't _ and shouldn't _ match that kind of spending.

7. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Funny isn't it?

An owner is fiscally responsible. Does the right thing. Builds his team the best way he can, is successfull, and then takes shots from people.

Not every team can have a huge sugar daddy sweep in to change their fortunes almost overnight (whether a Chelsea, Hearts or Portsmouth).

At least it seems that Reading fans really understand. Mad has been brutally honest with them in that respect and they get it, and respect hi for that.

I guess Mad might be better off putting the clubs future at risk by spending what he doesn't have. Might make some of the judgemental types more happy.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Actually, I disagree.

JMad should talk about wanting to spend trillions on his team, regardless of whether he actually does. That will leave an impression that he is serious about staying in top flight.

Besides, rookies have to overspent a little, given that their cadre isn't really tested at this level and plopping down some cash will take them beyond their margin of error/injuries/etc.

Mind you, if a club manages to stay up, then it can level off its spending. The first year up however requires some nerve and cash and Majeski has plenty of latter.

9. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard the Gooch to Spurs rumor also. I think this would explain the cup-tie becuae Spurs are in the UEFA Cup, although I'm not sure if playing in the Champs LEague bars you from playing in the Uefa Cup with a different team. This would be a great move for him I feel. He would be the 3rd center back on a team that is on the rise and will be challenging for a CL spot next season. They are playing in the UEFA Cup, and though it is a step below CL, Spurs are much more likely to advance to a late stage of the competition than Standard is to even qualify for the group stages.

10. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    The same Belgian poster has said there was no bid, just that we've been linked. All very vague but maybe something to keep an eye. If I get any more info, I'll post it here.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Gooch, but he's not as good as King for sure, and I seriously question if he's as good as Dawson, who has the advantage of a) incumbency b) being English and c) being younger.

Unless Spurs are anticipating Arsenal or ManU or someone coming in with a monster bid for Dawson or King, I don't see this as a good move for Gooch.

12. Lillywhite

Lillywhite New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    London
    Most definately wouldn't be a good move for him in terms of automatic playing time. He would, at first, be considered 3rd choice CB. Dawson had a very good first full season and would be difficult to depose but it wouldn't be impossible. King also has had some crappy luck with injuries of late. Having said that, Davenport and (God help us all) Gardner are still at the club. Davenport seems to have cemented that 3rd choice CB position.

Most likely a baseless meeja rumour but I'll keep an eye out.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Dawson was called up my McLaren.

14. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't find it now - but somewhere earlier today, I read that Fulham may be interested in Gooch. Wish I could find it now.

Also, Man City just agreed to sell Distin to Middlesboro - so if Distin agrees to terms, that leaves a huge hole in the City defense. Maybe they'll consider something like Gooch too.

The Fulham thing is rumored, but I just can't find where I read it earlier today. The Man City thing is pure speculation on my part based upon City now needing another center back.

15. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    did gooch play this past weekend? or are they still holding him out?

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Football Rumours have it as well.

17. A shock transfer yesterday of the Dutch national team player from Hamburg SV to Chelsea makes HSV want a Central defender fast. So will Gooch be on the short list for the HSV CD post?

18. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    I'd be a great move for him, Gooch and Kompany would be dominant in the air on defense and attack together. Doubt it happens but I hope it does.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could talk in Belgian* code and have keep it secret from the opposition.

*Yes, I know there's no such thing as Belgian. But I'm not sure if they speak Walloon, Flemish, or one speaks Walloon and the other Flemish.

20. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    I was actually thinking about this yesterday. HSV not only need a defender, they need a physical presence to replace Boulahrouz. This could work out. They're after Boumsong right now (yech.....), but if that doesn't happen, you never know.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boro-Reading info

[result]You can't tell me that Gooch can't help Boro's defense. They were loose as a 15 year veteran streetwalker. Esp. on set pieces. Reading scored 3, but it should have been 4 or 5. It's gotta be especially galling for Southgate, a defender, to preside over such a piss-poor performance, with the piss-poorest being his own signing, Arca.[/result]

22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But if southgates' guy was worse, and he judged him to be better than gooch, he'd assume gooch would have been a disaster, wouldn't he?

23. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC
    Looks like Gooch played 90 today with no cards.

24. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Arca was a disaster zone, but he's not a centre back so no real comparison can be made. As for Onyewu, I dont recall Southgate claiming that his ultimate lack of interest was because he didn't think Onyewu was better than his existing centrebacks minus the injured Ehiogu. Things are rarely that straightforward, and given their attempts to sign Distin this week it's pretty clear that Soutgate realizes that the current incumbents aren't up to snuff.

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah know after watching some of the Boro highlights, I think Gooch was right to turn them down. No doubt they have quality players but the big question mark for the season is Southgate. If I were Gooch the thought of lining up for a sqaud that has a manager with no previous experience, would be a huge turn off. Boro are going to struggle because of Southgate's growing pains. Gooch is at the stage of development where a reputable, known quality manager is maybe more important the club name.