Gooch Transfer News: Jan 07 transfer period

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Wahoo, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Yes folks, it's yet another thread to continue the news (and apparentlyt eh speculation also) of Oguchi Onyewu during this transfer period.

Lots of stuff from the previous thread.
    Feel free to restart/continue the good stuff
    Feel free to forget about the rest :D

2. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I think it deserves mentioning again that CHELSEA/MOURINHO wanted Gooch, according to the Independent. Wow!

3. sammy87

sammy87 Member

Jan 4, 2006
    CT
  4. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    The English press will write anything to stir up some controversy. I have a hard time believing all of these top clubs are after Gooch.

5. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC
    I have a hard time believing Beckham is coming to the MLS for 250M.

6. Principal Firebush

Principal Firebush Smorgy Borgy Borgy

Jun 20, 2006
    Ohio
    That's for real man, stop being so skeptical!

Let me know when Mourinho or Capello have a conference call announcing Gooch's signing! :eek: :D

7. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like that scene in Anchorman--wow, that really got out of hand. I mean, that escalated quickly.

Next thing you know, we'll be hearing about how Dunga wanted to get Gooch Brazilian citizenship and rewrite the FIFA rules about switching national teams. :D

8. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

9. fusion101

fusion101 Member

Jan 11, 2002
    I have no doubt a couple of top clubs are having serious looks at Gooch, but the Chelsea one seems a little off beat. Why would the board deny Jose the money for Gooch when it is penny change compaired to what they spent this summer? Especially if they really want to push for the title. But then again, it coule very well be true considering news out of Fulham is that Standard and Fulham have reached an agreement, Gooch just asked for more time. I still feel Gooch will go to Fulham, but he may have a surprise for us and may sign for a big club.

10. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Certainly, the English press- when searching for one name to based their 'breaking' story about a top figure in English football....they quite often use the 'American player' as their crutch. :rolleyes:

Given the high level of respect US soccer has there and all :)

11. Chester

Chester Member

Dec 30, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps because he doesn't have the actual accomplishments / playing pedigree to warrant that sort of top level interest?

12. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Yeah, starting in the World Cup and having received a 6m pounds bid from Real Madrid...you ain't good enough!

Sorry, but it just seem...well...kindof silly to think the Guardian, who are known for much more sobering displays that the tabs....would intentionally, falsely choose of all people the one Yank who is up for grabs in this window.

If they wanted to manufacture a name, they could have picked another, more familiar one so much easier.

They actually risk the ridicule of many hard-core English fans by even mentioning Onyewu in the first place. They'd risk alienating their core audience over it (why would they risk that?)

BTW- about a week ago, I semi-called this move! :)

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457583&page=8

03 Jan 2007, 03:51 PM #107
    golazo68
    BigSoccer Member

C'mon Chelsea We know you are interested Young, promising WC CB earlier wanted by Real Madrid and now AC Milan, and won't break the bank.

Ain't that (what you were complaining about wasn't available) Mr. Mourinho?

13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    they NEED a center back... u realize they had Ferrara and Essien as their CBs yesterday? Ferrera is an average fullback... and Essien is really a central mid who they've been using as a fullback also... Chelsea NEEDS a centerback...

the reason Chelsea board would turn it down is because they want Jose gone at the end of the season... no other reason...

14. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More on this in this Independent Online piece, Mourinho ready to quit Chelsea at end of season

Specific to Gooch in the article:

15. fusion101

fusion101 Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Well if somehow its true that the board is denying Jose any transfer money this window just because they want him gone this summer, that is a horrible policy. If Chelsea needs a new defender, one that is pretty inexpensive, they should give the go ahead. They can still win the league and are still in the CL. But I guess not everything is done in the best interest of the club these days in soccer.

16. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmm...I would rather play Makalele at center back than Essien

17. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so true when the VIP guest are not entertained...

18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    u wont get a word of disagreement from me, lol... put it like this... he did not want Gallas or Huth gone, yet they are gone... and they bought no cover... their policy is foul... signing Schevchenko and Ballack and forcing Mourinho to change from his effective 4-3-2 which won 2 Premiership titles... and now playing a 4-4-2 with a Diamond midfield... they set Chelsea up to fail in August...

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Essien has been playing defense this year, and the thinking is... if Makalele can shut down their attack in the midfield, we wont even worry about our weak center halves... of course Wycombe had a lot of chances yesterday and drew the game with Chelsea...

20. ej014

ej014 Member

Jul 17, 2001
    Vacaville, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't bode well for the rest of the league when a 10 man chelsea wins the league.:D

21. ChcgoStingInMyBlood

Jun 15, 2005
    OK Gooch to Chelsea actually makes a lot of sense.

He's relatively cheap, so if he doesn't pan out you sit him on the bench or stick him with the reserves.

Chelsea's back line is lacking without Terry and back injuries have a strange way of not going away.

Gooch is big and mobile like Terry and what a fantastic guy to learn with.

The question is, if Terry heals quicker than anticipated, does Gooch go to the bench or can there be a spot on the pitch for both Terry and Gooch?

Personally, I don't believe any of this 'Chelsea won't spend in the transfer window to make Mourinho look bad' nonsense. The Russian may slow down the spending rate, but if Jose wants Gooch, he'll get him.

In fact, maybe this is what the delay is. I hope - an American on Chelsea would be incredible on-the-job training and bodes well for the USMNT, especially a defender.

Probably just a bunch of British tabloid BS though...

22. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=440529&CPID=21&clid=%20120&lid=8&title=Milan's+Oddo+talks+%20stall

If true (both Milan and Lazio interested), I understand now better why Gooch is willing to give up 'bird in hand' (Fulham) for 'two in the bush'.

Since the clubs are both involved with purchase/sale of Oddo, maybe Gooch has been told, "if we don't purchase Oddo, we purchase you" (Milan) and "if we SELL Oddo, we purchase you" (Lazio).

Essentially, he's working different sides of the same transaction, and would explain his high confidence level in getting a deal from ONE of them regardless of the transaction.

Hope it works out.

23. GdeLata

GdeLata New Member

Nov 1, 2002
    Hmmmmmm.....I wouldn't given the Makelele's a bit short for a centerback don't you think? Look it up. At least Essien is tall enough to play the position (Cannavaro excluded of course).

24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I checked La Gazzetta dello Sport today for any transfer news regarding Gooch.

No mention whatsoever.

25. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Here's Calciomercato (in English) saying AC Milan has some sort of interest in Gooch:

http://www.calciomercato.com/index.php?c=46&a=30098

One problem with the article is that it may just be a translation of yesterday's article which was written in Italian language (it was linked to in the older Gooch thread).

Calciomercato has a separate article which appears as though it might be more recent in which AC Milan honcho Galliani mentions several players they are interested in acquiring but does not mention Gooch.

http://www.calciomercato.com/index.php?c=46&a=30108