Gooch to Milan III [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by withoutthee88, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm sure he was not going to spend that much time on the bench as the season progresses, but he injured himself. There would have been a lot of opportunity for him to play the way AC's last season went as far as injuries in the back were concerned. I doubt AC Milan signed him just to sign him and keep him out of the line-up when they made the move for gooch last summer.

2. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly - and that's the point I was making above.

3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And I agree, but the fact that he was so inexpensive made the deal so much more lucrative for AC Milan, as well.

4. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

Gooch is a well known commodity. Keep in mind Gooch was starting for a Champion's League side Standard Liege. He also scored 2 goals against Sampdoria in Champion's League. That's probably the game AC Milan was watching.

Parkhurst is rotting on a bench somewhere in Denmark.

5. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But AC Milan only wanted Gooch cause he was cheap. That's the point that Balls of Fire made that I was arguing against. I'm just saying, if that's the case why not go pick up any ol' American defender who will work for peanuts.

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think that is correct. Do you think they would have opened up their wallet and paid 4-8 million euro's for him? I don't think so.

7. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we certainly will never know the answer to that question. But Balls of Fire's contention that Gooch is no where in Milan's real plans has no merit. And if it wasn't AC Milan, he had plenty of other suitors lined up to grab him - that's why he played out his contract - so he was an attractive free transfer...

...if they just wanted a cheap defender who never plays, there are lots of them available who will take up a spot in training for less wages than Onyewu.

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yup...can't really argue there...

9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Wow, it took experience to deduce that? You could pretty much say "the number of people who would be willing to spend big bucks on the club jersey of an American is so small that they likely all post in this forum."

10. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    aaaand this thread seems to be right back on track.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    So it does, yet I wonder if Gooch will return to action before the thread is closed.

Might be a photo finish!

12. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope you don't have any actual money riding on this, since I think it's high time for a refresh. Someone can fire up the new one.