Gooch: Cercle Brugge - Standard Liege (Sat Sep 17th 8PM)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by OmiKell, Sep 16, 2005.

1. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    After Dragutinovic and Léonard, the Yankee will collaborate with Beda at Cercle Bruges

[​IMG]
    Matthieu Beda

SCLESSIN. Since the curtain raise of this championship, Gushi Onyewu becomes, after five matches only, the only constant in the Standard Liege defensive axis.

Aligned with Dragutinovic (3 times) and Léonard (2 times), the Power Forward stature defender will discover tomorrow his third partner in six weeks.
    Last year, his association with the Serbo-Montenegrin had been one of the successful season old keys… except the stopping against Genk.

"Thanks to the time we have had to learn to know each other”, moderates the Yankee. “But if you remember well, at the beginning of competition, osmosis and automatisms not yet worked between us. Now his departure is confirmed, we only have to forget our partnership and to try to consolidate on other bases."

Philippe Léonard hardly inclined to settle in a durable way within this central defensive axis.
    "The former Monegasque owns an appreciable technique and a sharpened tactical sense. Moreover, his experience helps to avoid communicating much to understand each other. This stage naturally occurred."

In national team too

The Beda solution would satisfy everyone if it proves to be judicious this Saturday in the Venice of North (ndlr: Brugge).
    "With Mathieu Beda, we never had the occasion to express us together in official match. During training, we only evolved together for the first time today (ndlr: Thursday).
    Consequently, we will have to learn how to understand each other quickly.... But you know, I adapt to all the circumstances. You could join me Deflandre or Wamberto, that wouldn’t disturb me."

An embarrassment he had within its national team, “Gushi” had a comparable situation.
    "There too, in little time, I knew several partners in this sector", he declares with a broad smile.
    "Gregg Berhalter, Eddie Pope, Jim Conrad, Cory Gibbs and Tony Sanneh already took seat at my sides. Thus you see, whoever is aligned at my sides has little impact... as long as I play."

About his union with Léonard, his coach spoke about it in terms about a pair right-left-handed person.
    Essential for Onyewu? "You’ll see this Saturday, with Beda, if two right-handed is awkward. With the United States, Pope, Conrad and Sanneh are right-handed too. And I was also able to shift to the left." That sounds clear.

For the Washington native, it doesn't matter who evolves at his sides... as long as he receives the right to be on the field.

Sorry for the quick translation, had a bunch of french metaphores

Autographed Oguchi Onyewu (XL) Standard Liege Home red Jersey

2. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    Announced team

1 Runje

2 Deflandre - 22 Beda - 5 ONYEWU - 20 Garbini

6 Assou Ekkotto

7 Conceicao - 22 Geraerts - 10 Moreira

27 Roussel - 25 Tchitte

3. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Thanks for the info. Something tells me people will have fun with your translations!

Hopefully Standard can stabilize their backline. Cercle Bugge would seem the ideal opponent for that purpose (last place in the league and only 2 goals in 5 games).

4. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    That's what I could save from BabelFish translation in 5 minutes.

5. CJCourtney

CJCourtney Member

United States
    Aug 29, 2000
    Greece
    Omikell,
    Will you be at the game or watching on TV?
    This should be a good match.

6. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg

Nah :(

I'm in Paris, I won't be able to watch it on Belgian Pay TV, but my wife is at home and keep me fully informed

7. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    0-2 Already!!!!!

0 - 2 15' Sergio Conceiçao
    0 - 1 06' Mohammed Tchite

8. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    If they keep winning this game, they'll be back at 1st position as Anderlecht didn't win his derby against Brussels.

Onyewu Autographed Jersey

9. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    i believed gooch has something to do with the first goal.

10. socks

socks New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    oaxaca mexico
    did gooch contribute to either goal?

11. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    No contribution on the 3, but he contributed for the 0.

He only had one action starting from him, when he did one of his long throw-in to Conceicao, who volleyed wide the goal

13. Hutch1

Hutch1 New Member

Mar 16, 2004

I just watched the images on the tv and maybe you were watching the wrong match but the 1st goal and the 3rd both began with an exceptional long pass from Onyewu. the first to no. 22 and the second to no. 7.

14. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    I don't know, the Belgian newspapers do not assign any assist to Onyewu yet.

I have to see the summary, it's not yet posted. I will post it here as soon as I get it.

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    what is he called in Belgium?Do they also use Gooch?

16. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg

No, they call him Oguchi (which is easier in French than English) or Gucci [Goo-tchee] (like the French Brand)

17. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    yeah, 1st and 3rd goal came about from Gooch's long bomb to flanks. I wanna see that when he plays for national team where beasley and donovan could latch onto those pass.

18. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
  19. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Big, bad...and with a sweeeeeeeeeeeet touch on long balls. You gotta love this guy.

Here's a riddle:

Kompany is to Chelsea....as Gooch is to ?????

(??? gotta be a pretty good team I reckon :) )

20. blue32828

blue32828 New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    orlando
    wasn't anderlect interested in gooch at one point? maybe they will sell off kompany and hope to replace him with gooch. i would really hate for that to happen though. i'd really like to see gooch playing somewhere in england

21. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    And that's what I was kindof getting at...

I'd think if Kompany is of interest of the top club, Gooch would be interesting for clubs 2-7 (below that- they couldn't afford him ;) )

22. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only England club I've heard eyeing Gooch is ManUre, though a lot of us Toon fans are salivating over him and praying the board moves in January, to be honest. He'd start left or center regularly with the problems we have.