GOOCH: 11/21 Standard / Maasmechelen Belgium Cup

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by OmiKell, Nov 21, 2004.

1. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    thanks man.

kind of shock he played the whole 90. i mean, if i was the coach, i would at least rest him a little for the big uefa game.

2. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    He didn't have a hard time
    [​IMG]

3. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm

Actually Gooch, you got what was earned. I'd hoped you'd have learned from the experience. Guess not.

4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Good Lord, with gloves like that no wonder he gets called for handballs!

5. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems more like the location of his hand(s).;)

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably complaining about the first yellow which seemed pretty light. No way he can argue the handball.

7. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    I agree -- the first yellow was questionable. But there's no way he can argue the second yellow.

Gooch also could be complaining about not getting a foul called on him when he dove after the Jamaican beat him in the leadup to the Jamaican goal. It looked to me like a dive, though, so I'm not sure he has much to complain about there.

8. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That kick to the back of the legs was egregious enough to warrant the first yellow IMO. If the shirts were reversed, I'd have been expected the card to go in the US' favor just the same. Gooch definitely got what he deserved.

9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must have missed the kick, just seemed the ref opened up his back pocket 3 times in a few minutes. Even so, he shouldn't be worried about that after the game ended. Just move along to your next match.

10. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen. :)

11. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Can't believe no one anywhere has brought this up. He got a nice little elbow to the face from Fuller on that play that led to the goal. Caught him square.
    Very clear in the replay. You can see the ref 20 yards away looking right at it from one angle, but he let them play. Play the whistle as we all know.

I found it funny that the US got about 5 or 6 straight calls right after that.

Make ups?

I understand why he didn't like it, but it wasn't called, so it doesn't matter. Watch the replay coming from our goal. Pretty obvious. Nice one...right in the kisser.

12. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People are going to start thinking that I don't like Gooch for not towing party line

Watch the side view again in slow motion. It was not an elbow to the mouth, but rather a slap to the upper chest. Gooch was holding Fuller's shirt, thus (I assume) the ref let the slap go. Gooch's acting job wasn't convincing enough to sell a whistle. Just because he put his hands up to his face doesn't mean he was actually hit there. Go watch again.

13. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Re: People are going to start thinking that I don't like Gooch for not towing party line

Will do.

So if I completely missed this it means I can be a CONCACAF ref...right?

14. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    But what Gooch said is 100% true. The ref was awful.

"I [still] had the USA game in mind," he added. "I'm disappointed with the referee, he was consistently bad."

15. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So? Why is Gooch focusing on this part still AND sharing it with the Belgian media. I don't want to overemphasize it, but whining a week later in a different hemisphere does not seem to me to be constructive behavior. Let it go and compensate for bad officiating next time.

16. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: People are going to start thinking that I don't like Gooch for not towing party line

The thing is, the CONCACAF ref you're decrying actually got the calls correct... so, probably not.

17. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was tough to see on the initial angle. On the replay it should him coming in late and from behind. Got him right across the back of the calf. I'd have yellowed him.

Gooch showed a slight tendency to overcommit vs. Jamaica so that's worth working on if we wants to play in the center. As a right back it would be a bit of a different story.

18. DP_elyanqui

DP_elyanqui New Member

Mar 2, 2004
    vagabond
    As far as I can tell he was talking to a Yanks Abroad reporter and it makes sense that he would talk about his USMNT performance. But I stand corrected if this was a general post match interview for all those who care to listen (Belgium media etc)

19. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    Someone did try to interview him in USA after the game? I don't think so.

Looks like Belgium media is more interested by his nats performance comments than anyone in US.

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Look, the kid was probably too hyped up/tight for his first Men's Nat team appearance, and maybe it showed a little in his play. I don't know if we need to worry/be so critical of after-the-fact comments. He's probably disappointed in his play too (although I don't think he was all that bad...how many real chances did Jamaica have on goal? How many goals did they score?). He'll be better and more Gooch next time. At least he didn't blame the shoes :)

21. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but that goal came partly beacuse his man shed him/fouled him (depending on one's point of view.)

22. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Very true. I also think that if you put him on the field with Pope instead of Toni he would have looked much better.

I started to cringe at about the 30 minute mark evey time the ball came his way (Sanneh's).

23. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    He's not training with the team today.

Light program with physios and some power-training in the afternoon