Gonzalez Gone?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by AJStank, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    The defence is going to be a mess this season.

The management and planning of this team is a disgrace.

O'Rourke at centre back is a disaster waiting to happen.

2. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    Don't be suprised when Sigi signs Greg Vanney.

I'm just sayin'.

3. CrewFootball

CrewFootball Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The Crew's goals allowed the past two seasons is average to slightly better than average. The only team that is outstanding in this area is Houston. No surprise that they won the last two MLS cups. If Marcos were really that important to the Crew then we should not be giving up the league average in number of goals. He would have to have some measurable impact on goals allowed. And, we shouldn't be throwing away games in the last ten minutes. This season if we give up more goals than the league average, then we can look back and say that Gonzalez's was probably the reason. I just don't believe that we can't get average results with the players we have available or could pick up via waiver etc.

4. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    According to Goff, Christian Gomez is apparently willing to play for 325K per year, if he could get the 2009 season guaranteed.

I'd be willing to play for that money, too.

5. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    This could have legs - Vanney is being shopped. He'd be a downgrade though IMO. He's useless.

6. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And by fun, you mean getting shelled each and every game?

It is fun for a while, but it gets old really quick.

7. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Nah. We will trade for Mastroeni.

Sigis plan is obviously to play with 1 centre back and 5 defensive midfielders strung out across the back.

He is going to revolutionise the way the game is played.

8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole problem with the "let Marcos go" strategy is that GBS, our best player, will only be here one more year. Thus, if we are going to compete for anything, it must be now. Hardly the best time to rebuild your entire central defense.

Both starters are questionable (injury and new position) and their backups are a rookie and a long in the tooth vet.

We'd better go get a quality defender to replace him. Dallas and D.C. don't seem to be having any trouble.

9. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    Yeah, I agree. Vanney is past his expiration date. But the more you think about it, the more you realize that this is exactly the kind of player Sigi would blow his load over right now.

Veteran defender, played for Sigi at UCLA, played for Sigi at the LA Galaxy.......

10. CrewFootball

CrewFootball Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I would sign Gomez if possible, but as far as '09, I would stipulate that he must start 75% of the games and score at least 10 goals to earn an automatic renewal for '09. Of course, I don't know if you are allowed to write MLS contracts that way.

11. smithnwesson

smithnwesson New Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    OK, let's all calm down here. I was more pissed about the fact that we have to hear this crap from Ives Galarcep than from the Crew, Sigi, McCullers, et al...

Marcos was a solid player, but not great. He had a good first half of the season, until teams figured out that if you ran someone at him, he became pretty average. Still, i hate to see him go, but let's not pretend that he was untouchable. If the transfer fee was right, then this may not be a bad deal, especially with Danny and Iro back there.

But that's the problem. No one knows if the transfer even happened, and if so, how much we received for it. How can one evaluate if this was a good move or not without those details?

Maybe some 8 year old would like to trade places with me, so I can enjoy being a Crew fan again...

12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, wouldn't that just say it all about how the Crew is being run?

In the deal between Columbus and an in-division rival, the Fire gets a talented young starting defender and a (probably) starting forward, and the Crew gets a fourth round draft pick.

Talk about shrewd.

13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus, that seals it.

14. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Confirmed on Catolica website

Fun with BabelFish:

15. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    It will probably be on the Crew's website some time in March, or perhaps in the weekly notes... published every other month.

16. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    I disagree totally. The Crew will be fortunate to make the playoffs with or without Gonzalez. Gonzalez would only be here for one more year at most, ditto for Schelotto. Iro is 23. If Sigi didn't think Iro could step in right away, he should have drafted another central defender. Defense isn't rocket science. It is a lot more difficult to creatively beat an opponent, especially if your opponent is as quick or quicker than you are. You are also assuming Zayner and Peterson are worthless. Carroll can play center back if he has to. Even Moss is a possible back up. Pierce played center back several times and the Crew did not get slaughtered for it (in games at the beginning of September they gave up a goal in each game). In fact in the Colorado match played at home Columbus' center backs were Pierce and Hendrickson. They were able to hold off Colorado until the 84th minute.

If the Crew attack was better than their opponents they might not have to worry about their defense so much.

17. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    It has been reported that Chicago have not signed Herron yet because he has signed with Punterenas--I don't know for how long. Wasn't that supposed to be a loan deal? How could MLS loan him out if his contract has expired?

18. cbuscat

cbuscat New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Beijing
    If we sign Greg Vanney I will publicly burn my Crew jersey and never attend a match at Rascal Flatts Field again. Until Sigi is gone, that is. Hell I was almost there after the Kamara-Brian Carrol deal.

I am noticing a trend here--nobody seems to want to play for Sigi*. It's often brushed off as a player simply didn't like Columbus. Columbus is not the problem, it's Sigi.

In this off-season alone Herron, Kamara, Grabavoy, Gonzalez, Schellotto have all expressed that they wanted out. I am told that Herron, Kamara, and Grabavoy each expressed their discontent, leading to their respective departures. I don't know if I've ever seen a manager that players want to play for less.

*the exception is obviously Alejandro Moreno, who must love Sigi because he's the only manager in MLS that thinks that being slow, short, and a poor finisher doesn't stop one from consistently starting at striker.

19. CrewFootball

CrewFootball Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Interesting, but without an attributable source, "I am told" is just rumor or speculation. Not that it isn't believable, but just irrelevant without a source.

20. cbuscat

cbuscat New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Beijing
    I heard that HSG sold Marcos because a payment was due for the stage construction.

Wow I'm bitter.

21. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    My goodness. I always thought that, though being rather objective, I tended toward the pessimistic side of things. However, compared to the prevailing thoughts on this board, I'm a damned Pollyanna.

Someone's going to look at these posts as "signs of things to come" after the next major US office shooting.

22. thebreather

thebreather Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Marcos was a rock. That one pass across the middle that turned into a goal was a single flaw in his perfect season.

I blame that ignorant reporter who wouldn't get the hell out of the locker room. We have no idea how much that could have f'ed with Marcos. He was the MLS story one weekend. for all we know he made the decision that night.

Lay off Ezra. I think he's a great player. he's slow but each stride is like 10 from mere mortals. Racists.

23. Brutus112

Brutus112 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    New Albany, Oh
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    please tell me that is sarcasm.... because nobody turns the ball over on thier own six like ez. I've met the guy and I like him. But I would prefer he retired and worked with the youngsters at the academy. Not start at center back.

I think I would rather play 3 at the back...

24. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should be storming Velma with pitchforks and torches screaming for McCullers' head, along with Sigi's too for good measure. This makes me want to puck, I felt a sick feeling in my stomach as soon as i opened the thread. seriously, FUCK our management.

25. thebreather

thebreather Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    I love these opinions...as if Sigi is literally retarded and you all have so much more soccer knowledge. No really...I'm watching the same games and I think Ezra exhibits solid play. Much like Sigi, who keeps putting the motherf***er in there week after week, I think he's good.