Gomez left (was Gomez leaving DC United)

Discussion in 'Alumni Forum' started by jade1mls, Jan 20, 2008.

1. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Uh Oh... Gomez to Rapids?

I guess my point is, if Gallardo bombs at DCU like Berthy Suarez did, we can't just dump him and get...Jaime Moreno, which is what we did in 1996. I'd like to take a moment and thank Suarez for bombing and thus giving us Jaime Moreno. This DP thing and contract is fairly binding...guaranteed years and such.

I remember Gallardo in the River-Boca Copa Libertadores semi-final in 2004. His sending off and afters in the first leg was a stroke of stupidity...only to be matched by Tevez and his Gallina Dance in the second leg at River.

2. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Gomez leaving DC United

I think this is the most likely interpretation, but still ... I worry too. It's in my nature.

3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mom? What are you doing on BigSoccer? :)

4. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Checking up on you! What's with your awful screen name? Why don't you call? You look thin! Are you dating?

5. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United

[​IMG]

So sad :(
    Christian was such a clutch performer for this club. I can't believe anyone who is a United fan could have anything bad to say about someone who gave so much to this team. He definitely belongs on the United 11 best of all time, you will be missed Christian!

6. LOCO4UNITED!!

LOCO4UNITED!! New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Section #120.

[​IMG]

CHRISTIAN GOMEZ, UN GRANDE!

I will never forget the day he went up into the stands (NY) and played the drum with the barras... or last year's game againts $hitcago...he almost (by himself) took us to the next round of the playoffs.

If Gomez leaves, el "muneco" Gallardo and the FO better make sure we make it to the MLS CUP and win it! :mad:

Etcheverry
    Moreno
    GOMEZ
    Harkes

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

I was thinking about just this very thing this morning.

If you made a United All Time XI, and tried to make an actual team with a real formation, he might not make it. But in terms of being one of the Top 11 players in team history, I think he's there, for sure.

By ranking:
    1. Jaime Moreno
    2. Marco Etcheverry
    3. Eddie Pope
    4. Jeff Agoos
    5. Christian Gomez
    6. Ben Olsen
    7. Ryan Nelsen
    8. John Harkes
    9. Richie Williams
    10. Roy Lassiter
    11. Tony Sanneh
    12. Carlos Llamosa
    13. Raul Diaz Arce

By lineup:
    ------------------Troy Perkins (or Nick Rimando)
    Tony Sanneh, Eddie Pope, Ryan Nelsen, Jeff Agoos
    -----------------Richie Williams
    ------------Ben Olsen----John Harkes
    ----------------Marco Etcheverry---
    -------------Roy Lassiter---Jaime Moreno

8. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United

An amazing roster turnaround, given our two Supporter's Shields.

In the 1997 all-star game, we had 7 players. One of them--Jaime--is left on the roster.

Just 17 months ago, in the 2006 all-star game, we had 8 players (Perkins, Boswell, Erpen, Gomez, Adu, Gros, Eskandarian, Moreno). One of them--Jaime--is left on the roster.

9. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA

I'd agree with most of this and it is a surprise to realize that Gomez might not make an all time best 11 lineup. That means DC have had some damn good players. I do wonder, how do we rank Emilio? Is one season too little?

10. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United

Either way you look at this list, the only players to join the team since 2000 are Nelsen, Gomez, Perkins and Rimando.

11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

That list is crazy! I like it all, except for having Perkins in it, rather have garlick in his prime. And there's gotta be someway to fit llamosa inthere! either way thats a money line up, and talking about emilio, i rather have lassiter who was a straight up finisher with crazy speed. And if anything , emilio would be able to play instead of moreno, but moreno in his prime>emilio now.

12. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It sounds to me like he's saying that MLS has a more flowing style than Ligue Un.

13. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

I think he wants to come to the US as he puts it as a more family decision, to make the best of our good economy, and considered one of the best places to live. Also he will get his privacy, his kids and wife(assuming he has kids and a wife) will be able to go around and not be recognized, same goes with him for the most part. He will love it here, because of our enviroment. DC/ Northern Va Is a great place to live and raise your kids and family.

Also i have a good feeling he will Gel' good with our squad thanks to the help of Ben Olsen who plays very much South American like with Back heels, and his passes(thanks to Etch') and Moreno will im sure show him around town.

Along with our backline and fred/moreno/olsen/emilio Gallardo will love us for our style of play. I know it and feel it.

14. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA

I'd line Gomez up at forward next to Moreno. He has played forward from time to time, and has meant way more to United than Lassiter did.

15. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was thinking about these guys coming here this and next week, and about what it must be like to come to a new team in a new country with a different language and having to immediately immerse yourself in your new team while also having to relocate your family. That's got to be a lot of pressure. Particularly when the team is almost immediately heading off somewhere else for training

It has undoubtedly already been experienced, one way or another, by a number of good people on this board.

I think it would be a great story and wish someone at The Post would write it. It would help us appreciate these guys even more.

16. peridigm

peridigm Member

Apr 19, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the reason they are coming would actually make it a bit easier. It's what they know, it's why they are coming. And on the pitch they all speak the same language. Does anyone know if the FO helps them integrate outside of the locker room?

17. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

I would think that Moreno and Gomez and Gallardo have different family situations, with Gallardo's more similar to Emilio and Fred

(Background)
    With Gallardo's arrival more and more likely (though we all remember feeling that way about Veron - albeit there is no "home team" luring Gallardo back the way Estudiantes was tugging at Veron's heartstrings), the likelihood of Gomez leaving increases - Yes - I had hoped that DC United and Christian Gomez could have come to an agreement for at least another year - With Gallardo at AMid, Gomez would have been an ideal 2nd/3rd Forward and AMid Alternate

Adding Moreno to the mix would have been even better - Moreno weill remain for another two years at a reduced salary, and its too bad that either Gomez or his agent couldn't have come to any agreement as well - Keeping Moreno as a 2nd/3rd Forward is really just about the best we could have hoped for

(AND NO - Niell is just too small to be a consistent 2nd Forward - Maybe a Wing in any 3 Forward Formation, but not as a consistent Forward with anybody but Emilio - Moreno and Niell just won't be enough up top)
    (/Background)

So why couldn't Gomez sign and Moreno could? - I think its more than age and whats left in the tank - I also think its family - Moreno is definitely here in the DC metro community, specifically NoVa - With an English wife and after being in MLS for more than 10 years, Bolivia is no longer a "Home" - Its here - And these two years will be a critical transition period for Moreno

Gomez is different - Sure his family was up here, but only 3 years at the most - He was in the NoVa community somewhat, but not that long - Argentina is still home - I think in Gomez's future there's only a 25% chance for Colorado (or any other MLS Team) - 25% chance for Mid East oil money (a whole lotta strain on the family either being there or back home in Argentian - The payoff would have to be huge to make it worthwhile) - And 50% chance returning home

So what does Gallardo face? - Not to be prying but does he have a family, young or growing? - Were they with him in Paris or not? - I doubt that they would come right now with him, but more likely arrive during the summer - In this respect I think he's more like Emilio and Fred than anyone else - They roomed together for several months (and had to picked up at the last moment for games together) - Their wives didn't come until much later in the season - Obviously having kids would make Gallardo's situation a lot more work, and hopefully a few teammates and families that will make the transition easier

And the same thing goes for the other SA players coming, especially Gonzalo #1 - I think the team and management has had people who can help ease the transition a lot for these guys

18. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005

Very well said.

19. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ideally, a DP does two things for his team: First, he presumably makes them better on the field, and second, he should put more fans in the stands. LA, Chicago, and the Red Bulls are clearly better when Beckham, Neckless, and Angel are playing, and certainly they do stimulate fan interest. But it doesn't always happen that way (see Rena and Mattheus.)

If we end up paying Gallardo the DP money Gomez wanted, the question becomes "Do we become a better team for it?" And even if the answer to the question is "Yes," then the next question should be "Could we have become just as good a team by paying Gomez what he wanted and or taking the extra money we will be paying Gallardo and trying to find more Gomez-wannabees, who would come here for much less than DP money?"

As for more fannies in the seats, I don't expect the new guys, even Gallardo, to draw many new fans to the game. There will be an early bump attributable to curiosity, but fans will come in large numbers only if the team is successful on the pitch.

20. Soccerglue

Soccerglue Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DC or any MLS team should try to sign Bakala from Zambia as an outside MF.

21. Rjbatzler

Rjbatzler Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://mlsrumors.blogspot.com/2008/01/trade-terry-cooke-to.html

Maybe this would be a good deal for us, we could trade Gomez to Colorado, who wants him and add some depth and width at outside mid.

22. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think Terry Cooke would be a good fit for United. He has the ability to provide decent service from the wing.

23. Chummer

Chummer Member

Jun 5, 2000
    Virginia

This would be the best possible outcome for losing Gomez. Cooke is a VERY good player, ranking right there with CM in the assist department. Isn't he a left sided player too? So..

Wells

Namoff/Peralta Martinez/McTavish Burch

Fred Simms Olsen Cooke

Gallardo

Moreno/Niell Emilio

If we don't get Cooke, we stay with 4-4-2. But if he comes, he's got to be on the field, thus likely forcing the above 3-5-2.

Also, when else have we brought in so many players that right out of the gate are challenging for starting spots? Hats off to the technical staff! The competition for playing time this season could be the hardest ever - assuming everyone stays healthy. This is also a team designed just as much - if not more - to win the international competitions than MLS Cup. Think about it. So many player that come here need half a season or more to adjust to MLS, but these guys will be ready day one to wax Harbour View and hopefully go on an international roll right out of the gate. Honestly, if we won CONCACAF Champions Cup and made it to the Club World Cup as a result, and say the new CONCACAF Champions League, would that be an incredibly successful season? MLS Cup is such a crap shoot now with our playoff system. But Supporters Shield three-peat and a two serious international trophies would be a dream.

24. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005

Very well said.

It is exactly why I think it is a very bad move.

But, management is the one who has to get results, so they need to do what they think needs to be done. They will, after all, be held accountable.

25. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

Terry Cooke is completely right footed. I don't think he would work well on the left flank.

I said this a month ago and I will say it again, Colin Clark is the player we should be asking for, not Cooke. Besides taking up a foreign spot, Clarke is getting older and slower and I'm not sure he would fit in with our style of play. He would seem better suited to the Toronto FC kick and rush style of play.

Clark has good size, speed and especially skill on the ball, and he's just a pup.

I'm sure even Colorado and their pinhead coach Clavijo is mildly aware of this. No chance we'll get Clark, but I could settle for Cooke, though I'm not as positive as some on here about his ultimate effectiveness for this team.