Gomez left (was Gomez leaving DC United)

Discussion in 'Alumni Forum' started by jade1mls, Jan 20, 2008.

1. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Re: Uh Oh... Gomez to Rapids?

You make a very valid point.

What is confusing to me (not directed at you specifically) is that Gallardo will be making $1.5M . The man certainly has played at a very high level (nobody questions that) but he is 32 years old. Moreover, he has explicitly stated that the French league is too physical and too rigid in its tactical approach.

So here is a player that is at the same time-in-place as both Etcheverry and Gomez, but he gets a huge salary (garganteous by both Etcheverry and Gomez standards). This move obviously does not reward loyalty and championships (it is a business after all), but it seems like a move that the Metrostars/Reb Bull would be making (and Osorio did not offer him a substantial amount of money if Ives is to be believed).

As a DC United fan I hope this works out for the best. But I am very skeptical.

2. ClarkC

ClarkC Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Virginia

Where did this cold, hard "fact" come from? MLS Rumors?

3. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Me too. I know Gallardo can play and I know what he's capable of, but I don't know if he's going to have the same drive Gomez had/has. Gomez came here as a last chance after things went not so well for him in Argentina. He was a journeyman and he took to MLS and DC United. He was given an opportunity and was an excellent player for us. What does Gallardo have to prove? What's his drive other than money? Thing is, if he is another Denilson or Berthy Suarez or Lothar of the Hill People, we're screwed if he has guaranteed years. That's cap space lost and money wasted for two or three years if the doesn't at least meet CG's stats and success.

4. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005

I could have sworn I read it somewhere (I have only looked at Goff's blog and the Rumors thread), but I rechecked and could not find it.

5. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Re: Gomez leaving DC United

So here's my take.

If Veron had come, it would have been hard not to say that DCU would have become "Veron's team", given the high profile and the expectation around him.

However, when that flamed out and given all the new faces -- all of whom speak Spanish -- it made it all the more important to keep Jaime around as a source of leadership and stability in this brave new era.

Despite what should be a much different playing role this year, Moreno's role as leader will be probably even more important. He's got a lot to do as the keel on the boat, considering the need to integrate so many new and experienced players into the system and find a new rhythm together.

Plus ca change... Its a totally different team, but still looks like its Jaime's team.

BTW, anyone know if Soehn speaks any espanol? Might be a good thing nowadays!

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MLS Rumors is completely and utterly full of shit. They publish anything and report it as fact.

7. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United

He speaks German, the other official language of Argentina ;)

8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gallardo was quoted as saying that the French Ligue 1 was too physical now, and that he's going to MLS for "a lifestyle change."

Why should that not scare me?

9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

LOL Berthy Suarez, he was the leading scorer in bolivia at the time. I still dont know how. (but in his defense til' this day he's the highest goal scorer for tahuichi and he has some bolivian record also for i think most goals in his career or something, never could crack the national team though and play outside of bolivia..which is wierd.)

But with that said, your right on calling out gallardo on what does he have to prove at this point?

But from what i remember he had some serious drive and passion for the game, when playing for river. Almost a little too much, with the fists if you know what i mean. LOL But i feel if we show him we care for our side, and show him pretty football he will recipricate. At least thats how i feel, like how Schelotto doesnt really like columbus much, because they arent as passionate as what he rememberd in boca, if we can show gallardo who im sure feeds off the fans that we believe in him and want him to do his best he will.

I could have brought up etcheverry, but i dont know gallardo's attitude towards competition like i know etch's, that guy loved to win and had a killer drive. So i cant compare the two.....YET.

10. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Where is this quote?

11. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can't find it, but I believe it was in the Fox Sports article link that was posted somewhere around here, possibly earlier in this thread.

I immediately had the same concerns, but after thinking about it, I'm considering the fact that most of the quotes were rather choppy and something was likely lost in the translation. Furthmore, after apparently talking to Angel, the optimist within me would like to think he was referring to the fact that he could go see a movie with his family and not have 100 people say hello or ask for pictures.

I suppose we may find out if this deal is ever official.

12. peridigm

peridigm Member

Apr 19, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I read it too but can't remember where.

13. EyesOnBall

EyesOnBall Member

Jun 14, 2004

This maybe what you are referring too.

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=640375&s=gen&type=story

BUENOS AIRES -- El mediocampista argentino Marcelo Gallardo confirmó que aceptó una oferta para jugar en el DC United de la Major League Soccer (MLS) de Estados Unidos porque quiere estar "más tranquilo" en el final de su carrera.

14. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005

I tried finding the post again, it was someone quoting MLS Rumors, and his figure was $1.3M.

You are absolutely right.

My bad.

I searched for that quote again, here it is.

(the middle link in the above link) :

"el campeonato francés es más difícil de lo que muchos creen, se ha puesto muy físico, muy táctico. Se hace de mucho roce, mucho contacto y poco juego. No es el fútbol que había conocido cuando estuve en Mónaco",

"The French Championship (league) is much harder than what people think, it has become very physical, very tactical. There is a lot of grinding, a lot of physical contact and little play. This is not the soccer that I knew when I played for Monaco."

The quote is in "La Nacion", I don't know how credible they are. I actually thought it was in "Clarin", which I though DCU said was a credible paper.

But, you are right, everything should be taken with a grain of salt (or should it be a sack of salt? Or perhaps a whole sea of salt!?!).

My bad.

15. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

It sucks that Gomez will leave under such circumstances. He has meant so much to this team's success over the past few seasons, but what can you do? The game is the game.

16. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's two different quotes.

One is from
    Gallardo says United deal is done
    on Yahoo! sports.
    The second is from the AFP story
    El París SG deja libre al argentino Gallardo, que jugará en Washington
    the translation of which was discussed here.

NYC_Cosmos questioned the authenticity of the last quote -- a different part of it didn't seem like Argentine Spanish to him -- but given some of NYC_Cosmos' past posts, that actually made it more likely in my eyes. :)

17. mkpage

mkpage Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Alexandria, VA
    What about Plan C?

So with Gomez seemingly on the way out, and Gallardo apparently waiting in the wings, what happens if Marcelo does not in fact sign with us? Does Fred become our CM?

18. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: What about Plan C?

No.

We bring back Stokes.

19. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hopefully DCU is correct, since Goff reports that Clarin has a new DC United related story today. It's in Gomez Continued and Other Morsels, posted at 9:00 a.m. today:

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A healthy Terry Cooke would be a very, very interesting acquisition. He's a true wide player, and DC really needs that.

I wonder if the plan is to play Fred up top with Emilio, and move Olsen to LW? With Burch behind him to whip in the crosses, Ben could do that. The lineup would look something like this.

GK-Wells
    Defense-Burch, 2 central defenders, Namoff.
    Midfield-Simms at DM, Olsen at LW, Cooke at RW, Gallardo at AM.
    Forwards-Emilio, Fred.

Key subs-Niell, Jaime, ???

21. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Senor Gallardo, let me introduce you to Mr Kovalenko, Heaps o Shit, Joseph, and CJ Brown:eek:

22. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.

This is going to be one of those urban legends which simply does not die.

the "lifestyle" change he was referring to was off the field and in reference to turning down the San Lorenzo offer. Essentially he was saying the offer from DCU offered him and his family the best lifestyle off the field.

You are combining two quotes to make it seem like he thinks MLS is a cake walk with no contact. Remember, this guy talked extensively with JPA before making his decision. He is coming into MLS with eyes wide open.

23. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Alexandria

Could be he has a sense of humor, which may not translate well.

At least I hope so.

24. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Well guys, seems like goff confirmed it even more, gomez is gone.

25. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005

I obviously meant DCUtd. :eek: