Gomez left (was Gomez leaving DC United)

Discussion in 'Alumni Forum' started by jade1mls, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Re: Uh Oh... Gomez to Rapids?

I'm sorry but Gomez gets gassed around September in DC. Granted the summers here are much more brutal, but there is no way he holds up at altitude for a year.

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

We sort of already are, we are known as the team that Etcheverry basically played for the majority of his career. :)

3. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FYP

4. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow! So when he scored that beautiful goal against the Crew on October 5th, that was "gassed"? And when he came up with a clutch goal on October 20th to tie the Wizards and help to ensure us the Supporters Shield, he was also "gassed"? Or how about his "never say die" goal against Chicago during the playoffs on November 1st? Was he "gassed" then too?

So the year before last, when he was carrying us through the playoffs on his back - that was "gassed"? If so, I'll take a whole team of "gassed" players and I will win MLS Cup every year. He separated himself from the other MVP candidates during September and October that year. Going into September, the award was still very much up for grabs.

Last year, Emilio's production dropped off at the end of September, not Gomez's. Emilio's last goal, if my memory serves me correctly (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong), was September 29th against Toronto, when our team had an entire month of soccer left to play. I think that Jaime's last goal was also September 29th. Gomez has been the MOST productive DC player at the end of the season. Just because his teammates drop off, doesn't mean that he is. To be honest, he has been amazingly productive when you consider that lack of support that he has gotten at the end of the season from his teammates.

One last point for those who will point out that his statistics dropped off last year from the year before. That was because of his production during the first third of the season, not the end. Christian may start to drop of statistically due to age, but he hasn't shown the signs of that just yet. I know that it will come eventually, but to paraphrase Mark Twain, "The rumors of his demise have been greatly exagerated."

5. AlecW81

AlecW81 Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with Highlander in that regard, but I doubt how effective Christian would be in Colorado at altitude for a whole season.

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United

I'm with highlander as well, even though there can be only one.

7. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Honestly, I'm not complaining, but would just like to insert for public record that the above possible lineup contains 4 American born players (to the best of my knowledge).

8. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.

I assume you are not included Wells?

Wells
    Namoff
    Burch
    Simms
    Olsen

9. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right, I was taking into account the poster's parenthetical addition of Carvallo. I believe that parenthetical notation indicates what I beleive to be a reasonable probability that Wells could be splitting time this season.

10. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And, in the interests of fairness, I'll also note that about 10 years ago United could have probably fielded a full squad that included only 5 American born players, those being Harkes, Williams, Pope, Agoos, and Garlick, with the remainder being Gori, Illamosa, Iroja, Etch, RDA, and Moreno.

But somehow, 4 seems a bit scarier than 5 to me. Three is horrifying.
    ;)

11. Foousic

Foousic New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Washington/Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Gallardo sounds good, but Christian's still my guy when push comes to shove. I mean did you guys even watch the second leg with Chicago? The guy has two hearts, and he nearly stole back that game for us.

12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United

I think that this board is collectively pooping on the memory of Gomez as an emotional crutch in case we lose him, which seems probable.

I wonder what the feeling here would be if that last gasp goal against Chicago had been allowed.

13. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My feeling would be that it would be one of the best United games I've ever been to, win or lose. As it was, just one of the better ones.

I want Gomez. I hate turnover. But he's choking on his own vomit by taking this long.

14. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

are you kidding, he's been about only thing that gets us into postseason year after year. :)

DC is making a mistake IMO by being stingy in this case. While Denver is crappy place to live he has Facu there and he'd get substantial pay increase, which is important for soccer players at his age.

15. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Marcelo Gallardo.

He sounds like an upgrade from Gomez.

16. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United

So how do we get rid of them, except for Olsen, of course.

17. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

5 dude, simms, olsen, burch, wells, and namoff. Unless simms was born in the congo i dont see how you missed him most likely. :p

18. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United

Payne has the same amount of time to revise his apparent decision not to offer Gomez two guaranteed years.

19. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You are on fire lately. I'm not even gonna try to rep you again.

20. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra

Personally I sure hope that we can re-sign Gomez.

I hope that because he is -- along with Benny -- the most consistent battler on the team. He brings leadership and intensity -- in my mind the thing that separates truly good teams (few) from teams with good players (many).

No question, he had a few off games this season, but down the stretch there were a number of games where he brought the team along with him, he willed the team to a higher level, and I think this is key.

If the FO decided to keep Jaime for "leadership" reasons, perhaps they believe they don't need Gomito in this area, or perhaps this whole negotiation has changed the team dynamic. Still, I think Gomez' strength of will, his "I will change the game and no one can stop me" attitude needs to be on the field and as a platoon player I don't know if Jaime can provide it.

Plus, we don't have some of these supposedly great new players signed as yet and we have no idea how they'll mesh. Anyway, if Gomito does move to Colorado, do they become MetroScum west with their growing alumni list?

21. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Although i love gomito, and love his fight and drive, and god i love his freekicks probably the best our team has had next to Etch', but Gallardo i feel would bring in a new unknown style(who might I add is just as good as gomez if not better at FK's) of play and shock to our opponents we will be facing in the concacaf championship and any other tournaments we play other than domestic play. Gomez would get shut down against mexican teams, they know how to handle his type of play, which is perfect for MLS as he is very physical for an argentine, i feel though gallardo is more finesse and throughballs, flicks, etc. and he will bring something fresh if he teams up good with moreno/niell and emilio which i have a damn good feeling in my gut that he will.

That is why i have a feeling we will pull off something good this year internationally and hopefully domestically given our drastic changes to our backline and in our number 10 IF we let gomez leave. I rather he left the league completely and not to any other team in the MLS but if that has to happen so Be it.

22. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I love Christian and I would want him to return to DC next season. But if if that is not going to happen then I want the club to be prepared and make provisions for the next season. For the record I would much rather have Gomez on the team next year rather than Moreno. But I'm not in charge of things.

On the issue of americans on the squad, why are we assuming that it is a given that peralta would start over mcT?

23. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

I would hate to see Gomito go...
    But I would also love to see Gallardo join us...

Why can't they both stay? WHY? WHY? WHY!???

[/temper tantrum]

24. ECU_SIMMS

ECU_SIMMS New Member

Oct 25, 2006

if this is the guy from PSG, then i couldnt disagree more. he is lazy, fights with coaches, and is a primadonna.. he would not fit in..

25. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As a Crew fan, I must say the possible addition of Gallardo, would be great for D.C., especially if they can land Cooke or Clark in return. Think of the midfield/attack:

-----------Olsen----------
    Cooke/Fred-------Fred/Clark
    ----------Gallardo---------
    ---------------Moreno-----
    ----------Emilio-----------

Very nasty.