Gomez interview

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by eltico, Dec 8, 2004.

1. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Interview here...

http://old.clarin.com/diario/2004/12/08/deportes/d-06201.htm

Half-assed translation because I'm bored at work here...

Ambassador in Washington
    El Gomito left for the United States six months ago and now tastes what is to be champion. He tells how his life has changed...

Never before in his 30 years had Christian Gomez imagined that we would go from living in the City of Evita to an apartment five blocks from the Pentagon in the City of the White House. Signed August 14, in three months he helped turn around DC United, three-time champion of MLS, the league in the United States that is trying to be reborn.

He is one of two Argentines (the other is Segio Galvan Rey), and he debuted against the Columbus Crew; he played in 13 games and scored 5 goals. “They’ve wanted to bring me here since 2002, when I was with Independiente. It happened now because everything went very fast it seemed like a good risk. I had offers from Nueva Chicago but their president, Guerra, did not want me to return. He thought that I was inconveniencing him because I didn’t have a club and he didn’t want to pay me more. And instead of going to Cordoba to play for Talleres, I decided I’d rather come to the United States,” said Gomez from a cold Washington.

--The problems with Nueva Chicago’s management started earlier?

--Yes. In 2001 they never paid us the money that comes with promotion. They received dollars from the Argentine Federation and the TV deal but they pulled one over on us by paying us in April 2002 in devalued pesos. And we only got the money because the mother of one of our ex-teammates who is a judge advised us on it! So yeah, they screwed us again. I still haven’t received the money owed for us staying in the First Division in 2002 – they gave me a notification that they wouldn’t pay. I know that the fans love me; they themselves wanted to get the money together to pay me. But I didn’t want it [from them]; the club has to pay me. It’s no coincidence that all of us players who played together at Nueva Chicago [and helped them gain promotion] ended poorly there.

--Does that mean you won’t go back?

--I would love to end my career at Nueva Chicago. I have a contract for three years but it gets renewed after every season. Now [DC] can protect 12 players and I am one of them; the others go into the [expansion] draft.

--And how is your life?

--Easy, because I do just as I did in Buenos Aires. I take the kids – Gabriel and Agustina, both 7 years old – pretty early to bus stop, and the bus just like the one on The Simpsons. I have breakfast with Claudia, and I go to practice. In the afternoon, when I come home, we go for a rideand little by little I’m acclimating myself to Washington, which is a city with a ton of highways. Now it’s fall, and at 5 it gets dark. People come home from work and the parking lot and apartments where I live begin to fill up. Americans are cold, but good people. Respectful and reliable.

--And breakfast, do you eat the same things that they do?

--Noooooooo!! My breakfast is very Argentine. No bacon, eggs, pancakes, or any of that. My wife brought some packs of herbs for mate (a type of tea). Meat here is a disaster; it tastes strange. A little bit better is El Patio Argentino where we watched River-Boca and they served us [good] meat and Russian salad and fries. It’s dangerous with the kids, though, who watch TV and see all of the ads for fast food.

--Do you drive on the highway?

--Yes. I bought a truck and I drive with the international license I brought from Argentina.

--Have you ever had any problems?

--One night I parked on the street, in front of a park, in the only space I could find. Then I got a ticket and had to pay a $40 fine. I didn’t realize that I left the car next to a fire hydrant. That’s why the spot was open! And another time I went over the speed limit but I was ok because I showed them my DC United card and said “Don’t speak English.”

--Which places have you visited?

--For being champions, next year we’ll go to Washington to see Bush in the White House. When we cross the bridge over the Potomac you can see all of the historic sites. Here we went to games, shopped, and saw the Lincoln Memorial, and behind it is the pool from the movie Forrest Gump. And when we played in LA, my wife took the kids to Disneyland. Kevin Payne’s wife and daughter, who we’ve made friends with, invited them. We’re also friends with the manager Dave Kasper, who recommended that they sign me, and his wife, Lisette.

--What surprised you?

The stadiums are fantastic but they lack passion and people yelling. We are like River or Boca. 15,000 people come to see us and there are two fan clubs – one of Americans, one of Bolivians – and they start chants and go everywhere. And as far as soccer, there’s a lot of running and pressing, but in a few years, the league will at the same level as Europe.

--Stop: you’re not saying that Freddy Adu is Maradona...

--He is the favorite of all the kids, but he can’t compare to Diego. He plays well, is quick, and has a future. He just lacks experience…

2. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Isnt SGR a Colombian? :confused:

3. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    --And how is your life?

--Easy, because I do just as I did in Buenos Aires. I take the kids – Gabriel and Agustina, both 7 years old – pretty early to bus stop, and the bus just like the one on The Simpsons.

[​IMG]

4. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Good stuff, thanks for the translation!

5. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I'd try that, but would get the cop that speaks Spanish and figure out that I don't :D

Thanks for the translation, though I miss him talking about the ventilators and Horse-radish tree. :D

-dave

6. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    LOL maybe he lives in same building as Charlotte :)

He has same impressions I did when I got here :D

7. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nope but he played in colombia

8. jkl;

jkl; New Member

Oct 15, 2003
    I think the King of Goals is a naturalized Colombian. He was even rumored to be selected for the Colombian National Team, but then he went to NJ, and didn't score goals.

9. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But his home town is listed as Manizales, which is in Colombia, at least on metroscum.com..oh well, Im just being nitpicky. Still.

10. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    "And another time I went over the speed limit but I was ok because I showed them my DC United card and said “Don’t speak English.”

He is catching up pretty fast! :D

11. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lowecifer again.

[otto voice]"I stand on my record. Fifteen crashes and not a single fatality."[/otto voice]

Good find eltico, and thanks for the translation!

12. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: NEW CHRISTIAN GOMEZ INTERVIEW

Somebody's got another Gomez interview up on the News and Analyisis page. Don't know if this is the proper ettiquette for BigSoccer, but given the critical significance of this late-breaking event (plus the fact that I really, really, really like Christian Gomez as a player), I'm going to paste and cut the addtional excepts from the interview and a translation (can't vouch for the accuracy):

Gomez article again. This time on el Diario Ole.

"Que no se me caiga un avión..."

El Gomito Gómez juega en el DC United de Washington. Está muy tranquilo, aunque vive a cuatro cuadras del Pentágono...

JUAN PABLO MENDEZ. jpmendez@ole.com.ar (2'51")

........................................ ........................................ ........................................ ....................................

Cristian llegó en junio, de Arsenal, y en noviembre fue campeón.

Opinó de su compañero famoso

Freddy Adú, hábil delantero, ya está en la selección mayor.
    De Adú dicen que tiene 16 años, pero debe tener 19 ó 20. Es bueno, me gusta cómo juega, pero le falta un poco. Acá es el ídolo de los chicos, todos quieren ser como él".

Cristian Gómez pasó del viaje diario de Ramos Mejía a Sarandí, para entrenarse con Arsenal, a cruzar el río Potomac y a las calles de Washington, donde juega para el DC United. No es poco cambio. Además, el equipo es una comunidad de naciones porque tiene un compañero salvadoreño, un brasileño, un ucraniano, un neozelandés, un holandés y un hijo de ghaneses, Freddy Adú.

"El fútbol es igual en todos lados", explica con seguridad. Y está claro que no tuvo problemas de adaptación: fue titular y campeón, con seis goles en 13 partidos y el reconocimiento de la prensa. "Eliminamos a New York, New England, ganamos la Conferencia Este y en la final al campeón de la Conferencia Oeste, Kansas City. Todo me salió muy lindo...".

—¿Buena onda con tus compañeros?

—Me trataron muy bien. Cuando ganás es todo más fácil, ahí te das cuenta que el grupo es bueno. El problema es el idioma. Yo no hablo inglés y los americanos no saben español, pero me ayudan. Ellos intentaron siempre que yo me sintiera cómodo.

—¿Y qué aprendiste de inglés?

—Lo básico, a saludar. Cuando viene un profesor armamos frases, pero a las dos horas se me olvidan.

—¿Vos hubieras votado a Bush o a Kerry?

—A Keeeerry. Todos los latinos querían que ganara Kerry. Nadie entiende, ni los americanos, por qué ganó Bush. ¡Cómo pueden seguir cuatro años más con éste! Pasa que decían que iban a votar a Kerry, entraban al cuarto oscuro y ponían a Bush.

—¿Y a tus compañeros? ¿Les preguntabas?

—Sí, unos votaron por Bush, otros por Kerry, estaban bastante divididos. A algunos, si les decían que tenían que agarrar un rifle para ir a buscar a Bin Laden en Irak, iban. Están muy tocados por lo del 11S. Como éste fue a pelear a Irak, lo votaron. Acá ser soldado es algo que se siente mucho. Antes de cada partido te tocan el himno, son muy patriotas.

—¿Vos pensás que si Bush no iba a la guerra perdía la elección...?

—Y... no sé. Acá se dice que la cagó la señora de Kerry, porque salió a hablar y la elección se dio vuelta un poquito...

—¿Te preguntan más por Ginóbili o por Maradona?

—Por Maradona. Lo último que se acuerdan es de la droga, de que está gordo. Siempre están las noticias malas. Me preguntan por qué se fue a Cuba.

—Hay partidos de la Major League que se juegan con rayas del fútbol americano por toda la cancha, ¿no te jode?

—Es una cagada, me tocó en una cancha. Me llegaba la pelota y tenía mil líneas por todos lados, no entendía nada, no se podía jugar. Hasta mi nene me preguntaba cómo hacía.

—¿Y el césped sintético?

—Es un poco más difícil, cuando me toca juego con zapatillas, porque por el vendaje que uso me puedo torcer el tobillo.

—¿Estás haciendo una buena diferencia económica?

—No te creas. Acá la vida es muy cara. Pensá que un alquiler cuesta 1.800 dólares al mes. Y hay muchos impuestos, te sacan la mitad de lo que cobrás. Dicen que en abril al hacer la declaración jurada te devuelven algo. Y otras cosas raras: las facturas de gas no podés pagarla en efectivo, tenés que mandar un cheque por correo...

—¿Qué es lo que más te sorprendió de la sociedad?

—El respeto por la gente. Son muy ordenados y escrupulosos. En la carreteras a la hora pico se llena. La parte izquierda es la más rápida, pero no te podés meter si no van por lo menos tres personas en el auto. Si cruzás la calle, todos los coches se paran. A mí ya me multaron por estacionar mal..., en algunas cosas son muy estrictos. Otra cosa es que son muy fríos, los padres dejan a los chicos en la casa, con una señora, y los ven por las noches. También son muy materialistas, les dan mucha importancia al dinero.

—¿Vivís en un lugar lindo?

—Tengo un departamento con buenas comodidades. Estoy a cuatro cuadras del Pentágono. Que no se me caiga un avión...

Do you get along well with your teamates?

- "They treat me very good. When you win its easier, there you realize that its a good group. The language is the problem. I dont speak english and the Americans don't speak Spanish, but they help me. They have always tried to make me feel comfortable."

- Would you have voted for Bush or Kerry?

" For Kerry, all the latinos wanted Kerry to win. Nobody understands, not even the Americans, why Bush won. How can they go another 4 years with this guy. It happens that they say they were going to vote for Kerry, but they went into the dark room and voted for Bush"

- What most suprised you about the society?

"They're very orderly and scrupulous. On the highway at rush hour its full. The left lane is faster, but you can't go in unles you have at 3 people in the car. If you are crossing the street all of the cars stop. They already gave me a fine for parking wrong (he mentioned this in the original interview - parking in front of a fire hydrant I think), they are strict about some things. Another thing is that they are very cold. The parents leave children at home with a lady and they see them only at night. They're very materialistic and give alot of importance to money."

- Do you live in a nice place?
    "I have a nice apartment. I'm 4 blocks from the pentagon, hope that a plane doesn't fall on me."

13. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: ANOTHER CHRISTIAN GOMEZ INTERVIEW

Here is some more -- some of this is pretty funny -- I like the man's politics as well as his playing ability -- kudos, of course, to BigSoccer News and Analysis page translators Delsocfan & Octavius Augustus (assuming that their translations are to any degree accurate):

Opinion of his famous teammate

Freddy Adu is an avid forward, he’s already with the senior team. (Perhaps getting the youth nat. team confused.) They say Adu is 16 years old (it’s 15), but he must be 19 or 20. He's good, I like the way he plays, but he's missing a little something. He is the idol of the youngsters, everyone wants to be like him.

-And your teammates, did you ask them? (Whether they will vote for Kerry or Bush.)

Yes, some voted for Bush, others for Kerry. They were very much divided. Some of them, if they tell them to pick up a rifle and look for Bin Laden in Iraq, they would go. They are very ‘touched’ (perhaps sensitive is a better word, to translate) by September 11th. Because he (Bush) went to fight in Iraq, they voted for him. Here, being a soldier is felt a lot. Before every game they sing the national anthem, very patriotic.

-Do you think Bush would have lost the election, if he hadn’t gone to Iraq?

Umm… I don’t know. Here, they say the Kerry’s wife fvcked it up, when she talked and the election turned a little.

- Do they ask you more about Ginobili or Maradona?

Maradona, The last thing they remember is the drugs and that he is fat. There is always the bad news. They ask me, why he went to Cuba.

-Are there MLS games played with American football lines, doesn’t it bother you?

It’s sh!t, I played in it, in one field. The ball would get to me and there would a million lines in every direction, I didn’t understand anything, you couldn’t play. Even my “nene” (child maybe) would ask me, how I did it.

14. entropy

entropy Member

Aug 31, 2000
    People's Republic of Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I can understand how Gomez might be a little disappointed with the quality of the beef here in the U.S., but a trip to Ray's the Steaks in Arlington might change his mind. :D

BTW, Gomez lives in the same apt. complex as a friend of mine from college.

15. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    I do not want to rain on your parade guys but Mr Gomes is a midfielder with 582 minutes play, 4 goals, 0 assistance (MLS statistics on DC United) even for MLS standard hardly relevant ...

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Which he did in a third of the season and became the spark that lit our championship run.

And his name is Gomez.

17. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    In the words of an old rodeo cowboy from Uvalde.... suck my azz till your jaws look like saddlebags...boy...kma 365

18. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, but the ventilators are verry happy. :D

19. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    And his arrival seemed to coincide with our run to MLS Cup strangely enough. And if I remember correctly that goals to minute ratio isn't that bad.

20. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He definitely doesn't live in DC!!

21. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Spark....Thats is a narrow definition for the word, and Gomez performance is clearly shadow by cheaper less hyped players like Eddy Johnson, Clint Dempsey and some of the other 50 dlrs kids, there are too many foreign players that just bring to MLS their name and a slow a$$ and are not making the cut ....

22. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Not to mention he did part of it out of position and while playing himself back into shape.

That is, when Christian Gomez first joined DC United, the ventilators were not happy.

23. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Not sure what you are trying to say here. Are you saying that Gomez is a big name that was hyped and turned out to be a slow foreigner? That Dempsey and Johnson, never got any hype?

24. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'll care about Dempsey and Johnson when they play for DC.

25. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    He is saying that Gomez is a miserable value and that we are better off with players who cost rice and beans (Dempsey and Johnson) who have just as good "counting stats" as Gomez. He says that too many fans overvalue "spark" or "latin flair" when we could just as easily get Devin Barcley to score four goals. Wait. Could we?

As mentioned above, Gomez scored 4 goals in under 600 minutes. If you extrapolate that over a full season's worth of playing time (i.e. 1700 - 2100 minutes), we are talking about a MIDFIELDER scoring 12 to 15 goals from the run of play (I don't think he took any pks, though I may be wrong).

There have not been too many of those in MLS. Little whippy is also forgetting about the contributions that Gomez made during the playoffs. I think that the assists will come soon enough. Gomez is not a good example of a poor foreign player in MLS.

And even if you support Whippy's agenda (focus on cheap US talent), MLS is doing that with expansion, the new reserve league and the increased rate of signing teenage talent.

Players like Ruiz, Gomez, Ramirez, Cabelloro, Brenes, etc are perfect additions to MLS. They are hungry. They love the league. They give the league a richer breadth and they don't cost an extreme amount of money.