Golly! I'm sure glad MLS plays from fall to spring!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by FijiUnited, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    When are you allowed back in N&A? There is a lot of stupid going on in there that needs to be cleaned up.

bunge repped this.
  2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in and had half of a long post crafted, but I used a profanity in the NASL Expansion forum

bunge repped this.
  3. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Now the Yellow Card makes sense.

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel lucky they don't give one out for not reading your own links, or you'd be screwed, chief.

5. trevor_daniles

Aug 19, 2007
  6. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bigger issue is competing with the NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball, not to mention the various international soccer leagues on a winter schedule, for viewers, broadcast space, and attendance.

The golden thing about the summer schedule is MLS is largely just competing with MLB, which has arguably less of an overlap than the other sports mentioned. MLS recognizes this, and knows it would only hurt their efforts to grow in the near/mid term. It's not as simple as "hey, the rest of the world plays during the winter, let's do it too!"

7. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? Too hot?

9. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No too cold. What I am saying is that cricket has to be played in the summer here and if they moved the football calendar then it would be cricket that would suffer - because in England football is much more popular than cricket. Im guessing the rugby guys would be pleased though!

10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, just don't care about England and it's supposed "Cricket Problems".

11. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Why should I care whether you care?? Im just replying to a post somebody put on here about Ruminegga wanting to change the calender in Europe, I'm saying that Uefa should leave well alone, and if they don't then I would prefer it if in England we left it as it is. Winter conditions in England are ideal for football, I am not saying that the summers here are too hot (obviously) but they are hot enough to slow the game down which will have an impact on the speed of the game, which in turn would have an impact on the entertainment value. I can understand however why its better to play in the US in the summer months - I don't see why there should be a problem as to when a season runs? having summer time football in some countries and winter time football in others just gives us all more football to watch!

Fanatical Monk and onefineesq repped this.
  12. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You clearly don't know anything about Austin.

13. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have noticed a lot of posters don't know anything when it comes to big college towns/cities.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd prefer the ********tumblers that want the US to move the European schedule shut the ******** up and leave well enough alone. So there's that. It's as if these morons think that's going to fix everything with the ever expanding slate of FIFA dates for tournaments and cash grab friendlies

Hey, you know this is about Murica and not Engerlands, right?

Thanks for agreeing with me.

bunge repped this.
  15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case you haven't noticed, most of these people are morons

16. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Erm where did I say I think the US should move its schedule??? Does the fact that I'm not American mean I am not allowed to have an opinion? I know that this is not necessarily about the UK but I wasn't the one that brought up the fact that Ruminegge (scuse spelling) was talking about the European schedule was I! You need to calm down.

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care what you said

Pretty much

You're all about your precious crickettsitsss. I'm sure there's a Big Cricket for you somewhere.

What're you going to do about it

Matt in the Hat and bunge repped this.
  18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are others that would like a more Argentino league calendar over say a "European" or EPL set up. Osea, a league calendar that works well with the transfer windows and as well avoids the worst of the nation's Summer heat and worst dates of the nation's Winters cold.

And there was talk from Ze Germans today of looking to play more a la what us in MLS currently have. Of course take that up with the Spanish, Greeks and I-ties on that. Playing Seria A games in July and Early August is most likely not going to happen in their cultures. So as we witness in Europe and in the Lower 48 and Canada, there are two climates. The Upper Euro footballing cultures and then the Med cultures. Canuck and Yankee climate and the Region III and Region IV climate. To a German playing/attending football over the Summer is a sound option and to an Italian playing/attending over the Summer is a big no thanks.

19. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HailtotheKing repped this.
  20. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked like Napoli's pitch that time it actually was infected.

[​IMG]

21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I love the outrage of some people of playing a couple weeks deeper into December and a couple of weeks earlier into February. As if there's never been MLS games postponed in summer/fall due to thunder, hurricanes and empty stadiums due to obscene heat waves.

Also what does this have to do with this crazy polar vortex? Is anyone actually advocating for MLS to play in January?

22. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe it or not, January isn't the only month of the year with freezing temperatures and lots of snow.

But then again, the weather isn't my main concern. It's our professional soccer league's overlap with competing sports schedules.

23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Yeah I know but cold weather cities would have no games from approx. mid December to late February. ... Doesn't mean there's zero risk. There will be some games played in snow and cold. I'm pretty sure each year there'll be a couple of postponements, but at least they'll be in the middle of the season and easy to make up. Is it perfect? No. But you can't please everyone.

As fans we all have different priorities. Me personally I prefer the league work harder to avoid international absences. I'm OK with the league squeezing the schedule in any other area in order to ensure that the best players get called away as rarely as possible from their MLS games.

24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I don't think all leagues should play at the same time. 11 out of 53 (over 20%) of the European league champions that will play in the 2014-2015 Champions League have already been determined, so not all European leagues play at the same time.

IASocFan and holiday repped this.
  25. ScrappytheSeal4

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer that the league stay afloat. MLS can't compete with football and basketball. Baseball is different because stereotypical soccer nerds mock baseball for being boring and vice versa.