Goldberg's 100!

Discussion in 'Books' started by IntheNet, Jul 15, 2005.

1. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stood in Barnes & Noble last evening and almost pissed my pants laughing so hard... why? Bernard Goldberg's new book:
    100 People Who Are Screwing Up America
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060761288/ref=ase_theviewfrom00-20/002-7645438-8244853
    I agreed with every one of his choices! And wow does he say it! Name names. And of course, you know who is number 37! Liberals and conservatives are featured among the 100; i.e., Judge Roy Moore and David Duke! His bit on Ted Kennedy is pure classic! On Paris Hilton: “If they gave Nobel Prizes for the mom and dad who raised the most vapid, empty-headed, inane, hollow, vain, tasteless, self-centered, useless twerp in the entire country – maybe in the entire world – Rick and Kathy Hilton would be on their way to Stockholm to pick up the medal.”

Do yourself a favor... read the Intro.... page through the choices... This is one funny book....it is rare that a book like this is available.... it is a funny book!

2. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. This isn't the Poltics forum--take your idiocy back there where it belongs.

2. You must have missed Jon Stewart rip this guy a new one the other day during his interview.

3. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a Book Review...This is Books Forum...
    John Stewart is a comedian; what he says is a joke!

4. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    If you actually watched it, you would realize that he wasn't trying to be funny, and as Achtung said, he really did rip the guy a new one.

5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You know this "Book" board is a haven from the idiocy of some of posters from rivalries and the politics boards. People put aside their club and nationalistic ferver to enjoy or to have a discussion on the merits, or lack thereof of books and authors.
    You'd argue that that's what you intended but all I can see is a thinly disguised effort at trolling, flaming and showing all what an idiot you really are.
    Stick with your copy and pasting in the politics and current events board.

6. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry... did you just discriminate?

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, we don't like knee-jerk partisan idiots here.

PS Goldberg made a complete ass of himself on The Daily Show. His attempts at humor were painful, I almost felt bad for him.

8. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would bolster your case, bigred, if you commented on book in question; i.e.,
    100 People Who Are Screwing Up America
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...7645438-8244853
    Since you decided to comment specifically on poster in an ad hominem way, that probably lends impetus for me to linger longer as it were... It's been quite a while since I posted all the reviews from my Conservative Book Club... I hear Sean Hannity has a new one out... stay tuned!

9. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Any posts beyond this one attacking any poster will be deleted.

Attack or defend the book all you want. Keep the personal stuff out of it.

10. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at my in-laws over July 4 weekend, and they were watching Fox News and this guy Goldberg was a guest on one of their shows. He pulled out the "Al Franken was flushing pages from my book down the toilet" joke and got a big old round of guffaws. He did the same thing on the Daily Show on Wednesday and got chirping crickets.

11. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    That TIME interview has piqued my interest. I may glance over this at the Library at my next opportunity.

He sounds like a pretty smart guy with a good handle on the difference between politics and real life. Sort of the Jesse Ventura mold.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  14. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the Daily Show interview as well.....and Stewart made this guy look like a moron. At one point he started stammering because he had no response to John's comment about people with power versus those with no real power as far as affecting change is concerned.

15. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I watched the clip, and while Stewart definitely controlled the conversation (and thusly made his guest appear to have a weaker point) I don't feel like he made Goldberg look like a moron at all. Basically he belittled the author for not having the same priorities as the all-powerful Jon Stewart, and honestly, it's made the respect-o-meter for Stewart drop quite a bit in my eyes.

Now Goldberg wasn't particularly funny at all.. he seems to be uncomfortable in front of a live audience, and obviously doesn't have a handle on today's pop culture...but i wouldn't say "moron".

16. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Mr. Goldberg is featured on The Big Idea show by Donny Deutsch on CNBC (don't worry if you never heard of this show; apparently nobody has!) and the subject is Bernard's book, 100 People Who Are Screwing Up America. Linda Stasi of the NY Post pontificates for six hours until Bernie rightly tells the broad to "shut up," a thing the producers should have done five hours and 59 minutes previously. Then tag-team opponent Jeff Jarvis took his turn yappin in response to the "shut up" comment (imagine telling a mouthy journalist to shut up?) then host Donny Deutsch spoke, at the same time as Linda Stasi, then all togther... Turns out Bernie never got to speak about his book, with flaming liberals in full battle mode taking offense, at what we'll never know. CNBC later edited the exchange to shorten Linda Statis' tirade and taking out the flaming outrage stutter of clueless Donny Deutsch... Note: this show is a waste of virgin audiotape in the purest sense of the word! In fairness, such a moronically stupid display by Linda Stasi, Donny Deutsch, and Jeff Jarvis would have been lessened had they anything (at all) pro or con to say about book, which they did not... In typical liberal fashion they attacked the messenger, Goldberg, rather than the book! Big surprise huh!
    http://www.bernardgoldberg.com/home.php

Bernie spoke with Bill O'Reilly on Fox's The O'Reilly Factor last evening on the exchange... they were both incredulous that CNBC would allow such a bunch of biased hosts attack a guest! So much for the lowest rated channel CNBC! More at: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163190,00.html

Bernie's book, by the way, is doing great..."100 People Who Are Screwing Up America" is currently #2 on Amazon, right behind J.K. Rowling's latest!

:)

17. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Somehow an author and what he/she wrote are so far removed from each other that the author is unassailable if a person doesn't agree with the contents of a book? That's a little weird.

18. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have got to be joking right??? Everyone in America knows how biased Bill O'reilly and the rest of the Fox Newspeak Network is. And O'reilly attacks every guest that doesn't see things his way--hypocitical piece of crap that he is. I highly recommend you watch the documentary Outfoxed perhaps it would enlighten you.

19. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    The guy thinks that Courtney Love is one of the 100 people screwing up America. He thinks the same of David Duke who is, let's face it, a complete non-entity. Goldberg is definitey a moron, and this book is for morons.

20. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really ought to read the book bojendyk...

21. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I still don't want to label him a moron, because I don't believe it (yet). In fact he's probably making big bucks off sales of this book... and if he harbors disdain for the people who buy and read his book (which I suspect may actually be the case) perhaps he's not as simple as some may think.

But again, all I've seen or heard of the guy is a Time interview, and the Daily show railroading.

22. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bah. Anybody who writes a book about 100 people he doesn't like and then calls it "100 People Who Are Screwing Up America" instead of "100 People I Happen Not to Like" is asking for trouble (and frankly I'm sure he couldn't have been happier about it). If Stewart or anybody else obliged him by giving it to him, then he's got zero to complain about. For that matter, how many of us could actually name 100 people they dislike enough to spend a similar amount of time writing about each of them? Goldberg is not only a moron, he's a moron in need of therapy.

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Stewart was tough on him but I didn't really see it as a railroading. I thought Jon made good points about how Goldberg's book focused too much on "cultural" icons instead of political ones....ie., people with real power to help us or screw us.

24. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think only political leaders have the ability to "screw up America"? Your comment would seem to indicate so.
    I hope that this is not the case. If only political people have this much influence, then I would have to argue that what we have is a bastardization of "America".

25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never used the word "only" and I certainly see the potential for harm being done by cultural icons....but not on the scale that Goldberg seems to imply in his book.....which if Jon Stewart characterized accurately....seems to focus more on cultural icons as opposed to political. Or do you honestly believe that Britney Spears is more harmful to the country than Nixon (or if you'd prefer, Johnson)?