Gold Cup TV - US fans screwed

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by FirstStar, Jun 23, 2005.

1. jonspider

jonspider Member

Mar 9, 2005
    South Carolina
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on the Maxxed word. I was going to mention this as well. I will be visiting this late tomorrow night and try to latch onto this overnight tomorrow and seed as well. The way these go, the more seeders, the betters. Stupid Telefutura.

2. USsoccerLA

USsoccerLA New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Los Angeles
    i dont know if this has been mentioned yet but for those of you who can watch the telefutura game tomorrow night it will be closed captioned in English for those of you who can not speak spanish. just thought id point that out

3. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Thanks for the tip - I'll try it out!

4. gnatfan

gnatfan Member

Mar 10, 2005
    Thanks for this info. I fired off an e-mail to USSF (which of course they never responded to) and one a columnist to see if we can't get this situation sorted out. This is stupid. My Spanish isn't that great and I was trying to hone it by watching the TnT v. Honduras match.

As an earlier poster mentioned--wouldn't it be ironic if the Nats won the whole tournament and it was unavailabe on TV in most of the country.

And ironic probably isn't the right word. The correct one would show up as a bunch of asteriks.

5. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Don't blame telefutura! They are the ones showing the game. if a torrent appears it will most likely be from that source alone!

Blame CONCACAF for selling all language rights to Univision networks.

6. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Um......you have to register to view...... Quite a lot of activity.

:eek:

BRF

7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm sort of "developmentally challenged" when it comes to closed captioned. Don't think I could watch the game and the words at the same time. I'm afraid I'd be reading and miss the goals! :)

It happens to me no matter if I'm watching a movie or something...if it's closed captioned, I focus on that rather than the action on the screen.

But thanks for the tip!

8. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a brief network outage last night about the time you posted this. No fears, http://torrents.huntparkinsider.com/ is still up and running.

However, I don't get Telefutura (DirecTV), so it'll be up to someone else to capture and post the torrent on the site. I'll be looking for it too, 'cause I really want to watch this tournament.

9. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Telefutura is Univision's crappy attempt at making an all-movie channel. What are they thinking that they'll make a Spanish HBO? At least HBO shows good movies, everything (except World Cup coverage) Univision does is trash or trashy. Then again I guess that's their target audience. :p

What i'm asking is why didn't FSC attempt to get this? or maybe even GolTV? I mean its not like concacaf can charge that much for english rights, at least not with a straight face. :D EDIT: Apologies, if this was answered already.

10. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm more screwed then all of u, on my @#@%$ cable i only have Telemundo and Univision so i can only pretty much catch Mexico's games.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How do you know they didn't? Just because they don't have games, it doesn't mean they didn't inquire about buying the rights.

Sure they can. Or they could sell all rights to one group - Univision - and it's up to that group whether they want to subdivide the rights and possibly splinter their own potential audience.

12. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    it's been set, the game will be on Telefutura at 10:30p. est.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I assume "est." means "estimated". 10:30pm EDT (Eastern Daylight Savings Time)

The first game starts at 8:30pm. The USA/CUB game will start as soon as possible after the conclusion of the first game.

14. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    English Closed Captioning on Telefutura for the Game!!!!

For those who have telefutura and "No habla espanol" our prayers may have been answered!!!!!

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=197459&itype=113&icategoryid=75

GETTING DOWN TO GAME TIME: The U.S. Men's National Team is heading towards its final workout in advance of the opening of the 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup, the 45-minute session at Qwest Field scheduled for 4:30 p.m. PT. U.S. Manager Bruce Arena has a full complement of players, with no injuries reported. The USA's quest for their third Gold Cup title kicks off against Cuba this Thursday night at 7:30 p.m. PT at Qwest Field in Seattle. The match will be broadcast live on Telefutura, which has added English closed-captioning for all USA Gold Cup matches for U.S. fans who don’t speak Spanish. As always, fans can also follow along on ussoccer.com's MatchTracker, presented by Philips Electronics. The U.S. game follows the first match of Group B when Costa Rica takes on Canada at 5:30 p.m. PT.

15. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I understand kick-off is 10:45 edt........

and I'll be watching my 1st usa mnt match on telefutura!!

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phoenix/Arizona residents. My listing for Telefutura has the game listed at 8:30 MST, which is an hour later than the scheduled start time of 7:30 PDT. I know in the past the listed schedule on the cable guide has differed from the actual schedule when it comes to live events, but not always. Is that the case here? I think whomever submits the schedule for live events on the Spanish language networks in Phoenix forgets that Arizona doesn't go to Daylight Savings time.

17. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: English Closed Captioning on Telefutura for the Game!!!!

Isn't that sort of stuff originally intended for the hearing impaired?

Makes me wonder who's really hearing impaired here. I don't think it's the English-speaking US soccer audience;)

18. leftjab

leftjab Member

Jan 11, 2004
    Berkeley

i may check out the closed-captioning a bit tonight, but i'd rather see all of the field than get instant, strange written translations of Spanish announcers doing play-by-play. if they were more interested in serving the English-speaking market, they could have English announcers on a second audio channel, as GolTV does in some markets. but for games as opposed to highlight shows or commentary, i care mostly about the visuals, and I've grown accustomed to announcers in Spanish (plus I've learned a little bit of Soccer Spanish ... I like it when the announcers assume you might not be paying total attention and say "mira" (look) or "viene" (it's coming) as a good chance develops ... and the "gol" calls are great). It's not as if any American soccer announcer is so good that without his commentary the game lacks something. If it weren't for the Spanish channels, particularly back in the 80's, i'd have missed out on a ton of soccer. yes, it sucks when a regional tournament is only on in Spanish, but at least it's on.

19. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First I was bummed! Then I realized that I get this dopey channel......

It's Channel 21 on Comcast in Boston!!! I don't care to read what the Spanish announcers have to say....So I'll just piss everyone off and work on my play-by-play technique!!! :D

USA 4 CASTRO 0

Mike

20. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    for the first time comcast doesn't suck !

21. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Streaming audio in English, links anyone?

22. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA

True. But at least this is a small step in the right direction.

23. USfootballFAN

USfootballFAN New Member

May 19, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I think it's a conspiracy by the Spanish-speaking countries to keep U.S. interest in soccer low. That way they don't have to worry about the Americans getting too good and showing them up. :D

24. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took closer look, I was wrong.