Gold Cup other results thread [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill0

bill0 Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT Mexico 2 - 1 Guatemala. Oh well.

2. Pro-Evo-King

Pro-Evo-King New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Football outerspace
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico did well, although they had a tougher win than expected but when they play the US they will go full out. I still can't see how the US can beat this time. first we gotta see How the team does tomorrow vs Jamaica.

3. canchon

canchon Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guate fought hard. They had their knockout chance on the counter in the first half, but couldn't convert. Tough break on the first goal, shouldn't have counted.

4. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN is just using the international feed for that. Plus they have the rights for the FIFA stuff due to the World Cup contract. FSC has the rights for CONCACAF tournaments (Champions league and Gold Cup). Why they don't bother to sublease the CONCACAF english stream to espn3 or whatever is impossible to answer. Although having listened to those guys for Champions League games they aren't that great of announcers.

Also, Mexico win 2-1

5. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure FIFA has a universal feed distributed to all countries that broadcast. Just look at the Gold Cup matches. Univision doesn't send their people to the games. Probably for the final though.

6. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be the main reason. They must assume that 95% of the people that would want to watch most of the games would watch it in Spanish over English

7. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Ummmm. Gold cup is way more expensive than u17 soccer. LOL!!

8. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No they did not. They scored their first goal and then bunkered. That is not what I call fighting hard. It's stupid really. How many times do have to see teams get a goal lead then bunker and at the end of it all lose? I'm sick of seeing that.

9. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Mr. Obvious.

10. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    you'd have to compare the potential audience for this game with the actual audience they drew for the College World Series game they had on today.

11. buthomps87

buthomps87 New Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Lubbock
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know that soccer in the U.S. is maybe the sixth most popular sport, maybe seventh. When ESPN does their thirty sec. segment on the USMNT during the Gold Cup, they do not know what to say or what they are talking about. Your true soccer fans will obviously watch the USMNT team play day in and day out. That being said, there are probably more people that would rather watch Rory McIlroy in the U.S. Open. For the guy that posted about NBA, MLB ext.. playing the feeds in Spanish. They are still more popular and wouldn't make any sense not to run a Spanish feed.

12. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    You are missing the point, sadly....

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Cheech vs. Ream.

Duel of the century.

14. ninjew

ninjew Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Discordia 2.0
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We win that's how. :D

15. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    Not from the network's point of view.

Besides, what's so bad about watching the game in Spanish? Soccer is not a sport where things need to be explained, and the announcers rarely add anything of value.

16. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    thinking about that one... ithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurtsithurts

17. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    I would kindly explain that to your buddy jond

18. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it has to be about 'Dolo vs Gio and Lichaj vs Barrera. Not too bad there.

19. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that for the Gold Cup and Copa America, ESPN and Fox would want the rights to both English and Spanish telecasts since most teams are from Spanish speaking countries. However, I think that it would be impossible for them to outbid Univision for the Spanish rights and not take a huge loss in the process.

When ESPN renewed the rights for the next two Euros they said that they tried to get the rights to Copa America but said it was too expensive. I assume they wanted full rights because I doubt that GolTV could outbid ESPN for the English rights.

20. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It worked pretty well for you guys against us before '09.

21. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...against Spain in 09

22. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty well? If we do that 9/10 times what do you think happens? If you attack teams what do you think happens? I think your odds increase when you do not sit back as much.

23. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they had opened up and continued to attack, it would have been a blowout for Mexico. They worked hard defensively all game to frustrate Mexico, and did what they could on the counterattack. It almost worked. That's how certain Central American teams play against better teams like Mexico, and it forced Mexico to work a hell of a lot harder than they expected to advance.

If you saw Guatemala score that early goal and thought that Guatemala would not bunker, you haven't been paying attention.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Guatemala was being sliced open in 4-4-2.

Then Moreno fumbles the ball and Ruiz scores.

So, they go into 5-4-1 and triple team Hernandez (who has an awful touch, btw ... how SAF chose to play him as a sole striker in the CL Final is a mystery to me) and starved him of service.

This was a lot like the US bunkering vs. Spain in the Confed Cup.

What Mexico needed was another body in the box and de la Torre, unlike del Bosque in 2009, promptly put in de Nigris. That turned the tide.

PS. Reffing was awful tonight.

25. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does that have to do with paying attention? I saw that game and Guatemala offered very little offensively because they were so afraid of Mexico scoring. But what happened when Mexico took the lead? Guatemala found some balls and looked to attack and they were more dangerous for it. Guatemala got what they deserved for playing like that.