Gold Cup Opponents

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Enge, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've had a lot of talk around here about whether the U.S. is bringing its strongest team to the Gold Cup. Has anyone seen whether our opponents, especially Mexico and Columbia, will be bringing their "real" teams? I've been watching a bit of the Confederations Cup, and Mexico looks very tough. Will the team at the Confederations Cup just come over and go straight into the Gold Cup?

2. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    my understanding is mexico will bring a bunch of 2nd line guys...

I suspect colombia will do similarly....

3. Pcp Yoko

Pcp Yoko Member+

Jun 2, 2002
    Mid Peninsula
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard rumors that Mexico will not bring the same team as the Confed Cup but won't believe it until I see it. Don't blame them for being burned out though after June WCQs and Confed Cup.

4. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    its true, Lavolpe wants to see different players, so the squad that will be playing GC its going to be very different. I dont think those guys are going to be pushovers, they are experienced players from good teams, but they have never played together, and against experienced teams, like the US, it may make the difference.

on the other hand, those players want a spot on the team thats going to Germany next year and may give a few surprizes, but dont count on it, it may sound like an excuse to our USNT fans but I dont think Lavolpe consider the GC a priority

5. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mexican coaching staff has a heck of a job to do turning around and then getting a (new) team ready for the Gold Cup

6. Cyclone

Cyclone New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    As I outlined in another thread, expect the South African team to be missing quite a few of their best players. They're having difficulting getting European (not that there are many) and several of the domestic players are preferring to stay for preseason with their new club/coach.

They would struggle against the U.S. and Mexico first teams. Against the second-line players both the US and Mex will bring to the GC, I expect they'll still struggle using their second-line players. I base this on my impression that SA are not that deep compared to the U.S. and Mex. who both have played well missing a few players. SA has struggled against weaker teams when missing only a few key players.

7. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States