Gold Cup: Mexico - South Africa [R]

Discussion in 'Africa' started by ursula, Jul 9, 2005.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    FT: Mexico 1 - 2 South Africa

YYYYEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'l find some links to the details later. This is a major victory, especially with the B/C team that Bafana Bafana brought along with the fact that mexico was playing in it's home-away-from-home, LA.

With the victory, South Africa is virtually assured of moving to the next round. They play Jamaica next on Sunday at 2pm pacific, then Guatemala on Wednesday at 7pm. Both games are on US Spanish language TV, both on Galavision.

2. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the way they played tonight, I'd expect RSA to advance easily.

Congrats to Bafana-Bafana on defeating one of the Favorites of the Tournament without your star players.

3. rufus55

rufus55 Member

Sep 1, 2001
    South Africa 2 Bin Laden Fan Club 1.

Good. I hope it hurts.

Eat it, MNT.

4. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    A problem for future games is that Orlando Pirates are 'recalling" several of their playeres on the squad. I don't have a link to which players are going home...

5. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Bafana Bafan always held a special place in my heart with my girlfriend being from there, and I have just always like them since I was little. Now beating Mexico with a C-team, they are in my heart forever. I think I might have to find a way to cheer them on against the reggae boys. Was supposed to go tonight, but didn't work out.

6. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Edit: Bafana Bafana :eek:
    Damn this Yellow card! Doesn't allow editing of posts.

7. Kwame_Toronto

Kwame_Toronto New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    T.O
    Anybody watch the game? Thoughts?

The way they played Ghana 3 weeks ago left a lot to be desired and I said so in here. I am actually very surprised with the result, and of course, pleased. Looks like Baxter's coaching job is still intact (even though the GC is his 3rd string team). I recognise only 3 names from the team that played Black Stars in June (Marlin, Lekgwathi and Nomvete)

Mexico is probably suffering from post-CC fatigue, but a win is a win. So Ghana beat SA who beat Mexico who beat Brazil.....well, you connect the dots :D

Good win against a team ranked 6th by FIFA.

8. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the USA will have to be wary of Bafana Bafana now; they could give our guys problems. I will cheer for them to take care of Jamaica, though.

9. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    I dont wanna take any credit away from ur win, but Mexico was trying out some new blood, If Sanchez had been the goal keepr u wouldn't have scored ones, and if fonseca and Blanco, along with ceveral other key players had been there, it would be a 3-0, the problem is that Mexico doesn't take the gold cup very seriously. I think that was obvious, they under estimated you guys and look what happen, anyway, i hope we get to see u in the semis or why not in the final??? anyway good game

10. SherwinRazmy

SherwinRazmy New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Mexico with this new team will make it to the finals because they have depth. I think USA might beat them because Mexico is not sending their full squad, but if it is Mexico A vs USA A, Mexico would win.

11. SherwinRazmy

SherwinRazmy New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Mexico with this new team will make it to the finals because they have depth. I think USA might beat them because Mexico is not sending their full squad, but if it is Mexico A vs USA A, Mexico would win. They did a fantastic job in the Confederation cup and played a good game against Germany despite losing 4-3. A very honerable loss considering the game was in Germany.

12. megapro

megapro New Member

May 18, 2005
    I dont quite agree that thier loss against germany was a very honorable lose despite the fact that it was played in germany because they simply could not dominate the youngest ever asssembled german team playing with a man short for well over an hour.......

13. Springbok FC

Springbok FC New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Living in Los Angeles, you have no idea how good this one felt.

14. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Mexico's team was a lot less experimental than South Africa's was.

15. Springbok FC

Springbok FC New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Indeed, half of RSA's side got their first cap that match.