Gold Cup draws high TV ratings.

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by DonCorleone, Jul 14, 2005.

1. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so imagine how much higher the ratings would be if they actually aired it in the US on )*($#*)($#)(*$#)( English-language TV.

2. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Uh, apples and oranges here:

"TeleFutura (7 matches to date) has a three-fold improvement over Galavisión’s ratings in 2003 ..."

Duh. TF is free over the air. G can only be gotten through digital satellite or cable in the Southwest.

3. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got Galavision here in NYC. It's part of the basic cable package, along with Univision, Telemundo, and Telefutura.

4. depor15

depor15 Member

Jun 28, 1999
    they did well in the ratings with hispanic men, what makes someone think they would have done just as well on english language television. Most of the viewers would watch the games in Spanish. Even though I am a US fan I still prefer to watch the games in Spanish. I do not really consider myself part of their target audience as I am not from Latin America. I like the way the games are called better in Spanish and that Ramirz guy is not one of my favorites. The US and Jamican games would get good ratings in English basically none of the others.

5. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    the basic ingredient for good rating ? yes, the tottal of hyspanic people who live here, that's the main thing ..

6. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Often here in LA the number one watched sporting event each week in the ratings is a Mexican league match.. Especially when Chivas and America play..
    Those matches beat out NBA and anything..
    The LA Times publishes the numbers every week..

7. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya, if the Nielson Ratings included Spanish Channels into their top 50 thing more than half the shows would be some novela or soccer. The MFL has leeched off our market big time which is why their is alot of revenue going into their league.

9. refontherun

refontherun Member+

Jul 14, 2005
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am an American/American, and I still prefer to see the games on Spanish TV. 9 out of 10 American sportscasters either talk too much, or don't know what they are talking about. I do speak some spanish (my wife is latina), but those guys talk so fast.....I swear, one announcer during the Mexico/Columbia game spoke without breathing for about two minutes (and neither my wife nor I could understand a word).

10. fnsandpwr

fnsandpwr New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Houston
    I prefer hearing a game from a spanish speaking broadcaster.
    I live in Houston and as far as the attendance for any soccer game held here(compared to many other soccer games held in other staes) is high because of the latin community living here.

11. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    I can't stand Spanish broadcasts. GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL---if I hear the one more time I think I will throw up. I just did throw up in my mouth a little bit thinking about it. Most annoying thing ever.

12. kr4fun

kr4fun New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    everywhere
    Its good to see that some people get to see our nats play. Unfortunately for me I dont live in a part of our country where soccer is big. I have to pay for dig. cable just for fsc. Hear we are US nats # 6 world ranking and they dont get good tv coverage. Its on a spanish channel w/ english subs that I dont even get. Will the nats get good tv in english if we win the WC?

13. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It's way better than "BOOM 1-0" or whatever retarded call Rob Stone makes next.

14. elknco1

elknco1 Member

Aug 20, 2004
    i love listening to spanish broadcasts.. i took high school spanish (so i understand every other other word) but i don't even care what they're saying.. PENAL PENAL PENAL PENAL PENAL PENAL PENAL!
    makes me wanna join in and start yelling crap. =)