Gold Cup 2005 to be held in US

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by txaggie93, Oct 20, 2004.

1. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    I must say I'm impressed that Theo is condoning having a euro team come play in the Gold Cup.

My guess would be Germany, since they don't have any games coming up that mean anything due to their automatic bid to WC
    '06.

2. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly before the end of the year. They do plan this a little better than the Champions League for clubs.

3. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Brazil has participated in '96, '98 (semi loss to USA) and '03 and never won the title. I'd expect CONMEBOL teams exclusively although a Germany team would be interesting if they dare to come.

Come to think of it, might a European team come because SUM is running the show? The previous outfit (what was their name?) was based in Miami with Latin American roots, no? So they might have requested Colombia, Peru, Ecuador in the past in order to attract the market they knew best. So in the end, who knows what to expect, it can only get better with SUM involved.

4. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    What the heck are we, (the US), good for in the world if not for selling things. If SUM adds a sponsor with testosterone, (like Nike), I'll be that they can conjure up the big time teams. The Fifa/Nike Gold Cup with big time ranking implications as well as forshadowing of the next WC. If it were up to me, I'd have at least 4 groups and 4 guests, (one Asian, one African, one Euro, and one SA). Go ahead and call it "the most important national team tournament outside of the WC". Guarantee you that people would buy tickets, (air and gate), to attend such an event and TV would be all over the thing.

Host the thing locally, (DFW). We have the infrastructure and stadiums to support such a bid. Now, who the heck cares if US plays a final or quarterfinal against an unfriendly crowd for a Mexican opponent. The cash and experience that this type of tournament would bring would be outstanding. While I am not opposed to letting a Houston and San Ant. to get a piece of the action, I think that we could pull it off locally. Do you realize how attractive that would be for keeping costs low? Internationally, Texas has a big time exotic allure.

From a host capacity, I know that the failed Olympic bid saw several localities improve various soccer sites to host teams for practice purposes. We are better qualified as a metropolitan area to host such an event as anywhere in the world. You guys set it up, and I will sneak the beer into the stadiums to share.

5. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Paging David Beckham, your party from Argentia has now arrived.

6. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    yeah, but we're talking about big time money that euro teams could generate with their presence. theo's latin love doesn't blind him to that, and there are several euro teams that play a latin style.

7. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    no no no no no no, I HATE guest teams. I know we don't have a strong confederation but I just hate guest teams. They don't belong in the tournament anymore then the US being a guest at the EURO, I know its selfish to ask but I just hate it. What if a guest team wins? It looks ridiculous.

Of course this won't be solved until we make Copa America 16 teams, 10 South America and 6 CONCACAF. Play it set up EURO style. Now that would be a tournament to host, especially if everyone brought their A game, which they should.

8. asflagg

asflagg Member

Sep 6, 2003
    On the topic of the stadium. I am concerned that 21000 seats is to small for international games. Of course, the choice to have there rather than at the Cotton Bowl might be because the Cotton Bowl gobbles up to much of the profits. Although you guys who are bashing the Cotton Bowl can't deny the quality of it's pitch and it is centrally located.

With just 21,000 seats I wonder what that will do to ticket prices. How much more expensive will they be?

9. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    yeah, but what would demand for tickets be? would the demand be high enough outside of the marquee matchups for more than the 21,000 tickets?

10. asflagg

asflagg Member

Sep 6, 2003
    Interesting marketing problem. I think they will definately be higher because of the seating capasity for the marquee match ups like you said. If Brazil and Mexico were to play there I think that Latinos within a 100 mile radius would come. That 21,000 seats would fill up fast. But if it were just Canada and Trinidad and Tobago there would probably be alot of empty seats in Frisco.

11. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you read my post earlier? The US-Panama game drew less than 20K. So why don't we utilize the SSS and use international games to bring in more money for their MLS owner. Reward them for their efforts. The most important thing to remember is that we don't draw in huge numbers for the Nats. We will in the future but it isn't happening right now.

12. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
  13. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    doh!

On the brighter side at least there is some football in January. :)

Theo, will we see you there?