Gold Cup 2005 to be held in US

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by txaggie93, Oct 20, 2004.

1. txaggie93

txaggie93 New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
  2. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Hells yeah it would be! But I'd rather have a hex qualifier here.

3. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    What about the Cotton Bowl? It is more centrally located, and would be a bigger draw for international fans than would Frisco. The Cotton Bowl is respected around the world for its World Cup quality pitch. As well, I don't think that the Frisco capacity would be enough for games featuring the bigger draws in Gold Cup. (remember how many showed up for the meaningless US vs Mex game @ $40 a pop on a rainy Wednesday night). Now, Dallas could host the whole enchilada, with peripheral satelite games played at lesser venues like Frisco and even the soon to be vacated Texas Stadium in Irving. While, the top flight games could be held in a top flight stadium like the Cotton Bowl.

This brings back fond memories of WC '94. I'd love it. Someone sell this idea, I will for sure be in attendance.

4. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    As someone who has attended many events in the Cotton Bowl both as a Fire fan and before the Fire even existed, this statement is very hilarious to me.

5. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the most retarded statement I have ever read on here. The stadium in Frisco is being built with these type of games in mind. Never mind the fact that the Gold Cup draws piss poor crowds but the smaller stadium would help hide this fact. The Cotton Bowl is dead to me now on soccer matters. Give the game to Frisco and HSG!

6. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Listen silly boys,
    what do you do if you get a US vs. Mex. game? The people just won't fit. Canada vs. Cuba would work out fine, but the top draws would not work. I grant you that the Frisco model is a soccer palace, however it is a minute palace. Furthermore, it is still in an isolated and remote locale.

Since you are oblivious to the facts I present, go research the attendance numbers for the last US vs Mex game in Dallas. Please draw the picture for how you get that cow in the barn. I think that you will lose at least 35% of your potential draw by moving Guat, CR, ES, Hond, Jam, TT, or Pan to Frisco from Dallas. Guys have to make money to bring these type of events here. They cannot simply pander to your neighborhood. Tickets actually have to be sold.

7. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think we're going to get a US-Mexico game unless we get an elimination game, but I'd be happy with anything, Frisco or downtown, whatever. I just don't see them using a stadium built in the 30's for football when they have a brand new SSS just north...unless we're hosting Mexico's group games...

8. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right on. I'm not sure who determines the venues CONCACAF or USSF. If it's up to USSF, Mexico will not come to Dallas or Frisco to play USA for a game that matters. Do y'all recall 28APR04? It was a scene from Little Big Horn or The Alamo though w/ better results :) HSG Junta & FC Dallas would beneffit tremendously if Mexico or USA were to play a match @ ULHOWA but not ea. other.

9. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Theo,
    Just about the only game in the Gold Cup that would draw such huge crowds as to make Frisco not an option would be US-Mexico. So, perhaps we should change the subject of the thread just to make you happy........"Gee, I sure hope Frisco gets to host a Gold Cup game.....except for US-Mexico." Is that better now, silly boy??

10. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    BTW, another announcement regarding the Gold Cup, SUM (MLS's marketing arm) will be handling the organization and marketing of this tournament for the first time. This is excellent news, the less Jack Warner and the thiefs at CONCACAF have to do with anything, the better it is for fans. Plus this means more games are likely to be available on regular TV like FSW. Also, if you read the news on Andy Swift, he is now the Marketing and Communications boss at SUM.....also good stuff. Maybe he can make something out of this crap tournament now.

11. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    theo: IF there any Gold Cup games in Dallas next year, you will have to be in Frisco Stadium to see them.

NO way even the morons in USSF allow a game to be held in the Cotton Bowl when there is a brand new 21,000 seat stadium built by tax dollars and Lamar Hunt 25 miles away.

Get used to it.

12. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TEXGATOR,
    These are great news for the tournament as a whole, but what does it do for ULHOWA? Now that Swift is in the mix what are the chances ULHOWA lands a marquis game?

13. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I have NO idea what it means specifically for ULHOWA. Theo is right in that the capacity is low, so I would think it would prevent any marquis matches. But I'm sure we will get something.

14. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was trying to allude to the relationship between Swift and HSGJunta. Any bridges burnt? Andy seemed like a top notch guy and above petulent miscreant behavior, but had to ask.

15. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Well, honestly I think venue decisions will be made at a higher level.....but what the hell do I know?

16. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good answer.

17. Zé Bill

Zé Bill Member

Mar 21, 2004
    texgator wrote~~~~'it would prevent any marquis matches'~~~~like the Marquis de Sade?...Marquis Matches in Uncle Lamar's House of Whup-Ass? excellent

Northside Rovers wrote: "Frisco Stadium": evidence right there that the commonly-used name for the venue is TBD.

Let [iirc credit El Jefe] "Uncle Lamar's House of Whup-Ass" be the official name in big letters over the entrances, with "The Moshpit" as unofficial nickname. (to help the human brain assimilate the presence of a performance stage)

I'll allow as how this next thought is also pretty theoretical...but: Isn't there a precedent for ticket sales done in a manner that one country's federation gets a certain percentage of tickets to distribute as it wishes?

If so,

that leads to my thought that a USA MEX match with 10,550+ USA and 10,550+ Mexico supporters in ULHOWA a/k/a Frisco Stadium a/k/a The Moshpit a/k/a Aflac FSEC would be .... words fail me...unprecedented?? how was the crowd in WC '02 ?? seems it's either Azteca-like or columbus in winter.

and I'll bet that bigger soccer countries have, not rarely, met in smaller stadiums than "Aunt Jemima and Uncle Lamar's HOWA"... (corporate sponsor there)

ok maybe USA × MEX at The Moshpit would turn out to be a "friendly" and not a qualifier...anyhow...
    money's a lot...but it isn't everything [eom]

18. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think that we should reward the teams that have built stadiums. The more soccer matches in the area the better. Can you imagine the exposure Frisco and the stadium would get if Brazil played here? The US-Panama game at RFK drew under 20K fans. If we are only able to draw 20K a game, then why play in a half empty RFK when you could play in a sold out ULHOWA? Playing in the smaller stadiums would increase pre-game purchases that would lead to sell outs. It's about time we started maximizing SSS's in this country. Set up Columbus, HDC and Frisco as the first three cities during the Gold Cup.

19. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Well, given the respectable showing that the group formerly known as Concacaf showed in the last WC, I think that the Gold Cup should be able to draw two quality guests. I'd like to see Argentina, (since they would probably send an A squad), and a high draw Euro squad like Holland, Italy, France, Germany, or England. I think that in so doing, you could market the hell out of this thing and have a quality shin-dig with good numbers.

The year that Brazil participated was kind of cool. But it is no fun that they would probably send a C team to whip everyone else's A teams.

20. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wow, Theo and I agree on something. :eek:

I can dig those Euro teams and Argie coming over.

21. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    Argie and Engerland in the same tourney? that's anticipation, right there.

22. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
  23. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    when do they set the gold cup dates teams and venues???

24. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    CONCACAF isn't what i'd call... "organized". they don't... what's the word?? PLAN!! they don't "plan" well.

your guess is as good as mine.

25. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have attendence numbers for the 2003 Gold Cup matches? USA didn't exactly draw that big except for the BRA match. I can't imagine the other teams drawed so much better. Keep in mind USA/MEX hasn't happened at Gold Cup since '98 either so it is not a forgone conclusion. I'd expect HDC and Frisco with another site to host these matches. They should change the format too...3 team groups is cheesy.