Golara's Mid-Season Review or Thank God There's Netflix

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Last night's capitulation against Liverpool brought the curtain down on the half-way point of the season. Nineteen games in, Spurs sit 6th in the table on 33 points, just 4 points better off than at the same stage last season when we were really shite. While Jurgen Klopp was rummaging in the dustbins of Merseyside for central defenders with a pulse, our expensively assembled back line was gifting 3 goals while our best defenders were planted on the bench.

Despite an erratic start to the season, Spurs actually played some good stuff and stood top of the league 12 games in. Wins over both Manchester clubs and the squatters from Woolwich had supporters giddily talking about making a run for the title. As all Spurs fans know however, that is the kiss of death. Invariably, that was about as good as it got with the next 7 games yielding a paltry 8 points and Spurs have dropped a whopping 10 points with goals conceded in the final 10 minutes of games.

Daniel Levy strengthened the squad in key positions, bringing in striking depth with Carlos Vinicius and Gareth Bale, but the the problem was, he forgot to tell the manager. Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg was the holding midfielder we lacked and Sergio Reguilon has been a revelation at left back. Young Joe Rodon and Matt Doherty were also brought in to shore up what had been a leaky defense.

Of course the star turn has been the stellar play of Kane and Son, with Tanguy Ndombele winning the Best Supporting Player role. The banishment of Dele to the archives is yet another of the Mourinho Unsolved Mysteries, but I guess if you have ******** You Money, you can do whatever you want.

Progress has been made in all 3 cup competitions, but the only team of note we have beaten in knock-out play is Chelsea and they, as it turns out, are actually worse than us.

For a while it looked like Mourinho had turned back the clock and pulled the wool over everyone's eyes with the kind of counter-punching football that served him well at Chelsea and Inter, but it was only fleeting. The late capitulation against West Ham has haunted the Portuguese and since that game the free-wheeling play has been rubbished for an ultra-cautious approach which has seen us slowly but surely drop down the table.

How the rest of the season will pan out is anyone's guess. It could be glorious, but I'm betting on pain and misery. Thinking of Mourinho, I look back to what an old NFL coach once said: "He is what we thought he was". The man will not change and what we saw yesterday, we'll see again until Daniel Levy wields his axe. The funny thing is, as much as I despise the man, if he is still manager at this time next year, that will actually mean something good happened.

I guess in a strange, Spursy way, that is reason for hope...

BalanceUT repped this.
  2. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Does anyone know if Electrickeeper's still looking for a new forum tagline?

Golara repped this.