Goff Sucks

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by yabo, Apr 4, 2013.

1. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Goff tweeted it, too. He's traveling to Kansas, to watch the team play. I wonder if he wouldn't mind streaming the game from his iPhone, since he won't have anything better to do? ;)

3. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
    Thomas Floyd wrote that piece. He's in DC and works for the Washington Times. Another than a Ruiz update there's nothing new in that piece that wasn't reported by Goff or several other DC United information gathering sources (e.g. Stouffer, Black&Red United -has someone going to practices for quotes).

dadman repped this.
  4. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Didn't stoufer get let go?

5. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff works for the big dog on the street and if he aint picking up all the sh*t n the street he's poser.

6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At my age, I would be happy to have a "pubic stress reaction."

Winoman repped this.
  7. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have a good argument in that Goff does not ask hard questions or really "uncover" anything... but you could state it a bit more eloquently.

Murr repped this.
  8. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    This is going to sound conspiratorial, but I honestly don't believe DeRo is even hurt. This kind of move smells of "let's find ways to explain a sure loss."

*later at the presser*

Press: Coach, you lost 5-0 and Pajoy knocked in 4 own-goals.. what do you think happened?

Olsen: Well first I think our other players need to show the kind of hustle Pajoy shows. Also, I think we were playing unusual formations.. with no DeRo. If we had DeRo this would have been totally different. Fortunately, even hurt, DeRo has been putting in Pajoy levels of hustle so we'll be ready for NY in a week.

DC06 and danKohner repped this.
  9. danKohner

danKohner Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Section 139
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is what I said about De Rosario on the pre-game thread.

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    The team sometimes can and does "pull together" (and play "better" as a squad) when a central/focal player is unavailable.

Not saying that is certain to happen for the match at SKC, but it could.

11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    FYP

You've just described all the local sports reporters who cover the Redskins and NEVER say anything about Snyder's personality

Local sports writers can't be real critical of the team AND ESPECIALLY MANAGEMENT and expect continued access to the team in order to do their basic job

dadman and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  12. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here you go Francis
    Although working for the largest circulation daily in the metropolitan area and the most prestigious, Mr. Goff appears not to be especially enterprising in his coverage of DC United.

13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    And you should see his coverage of GMU and college basketball. Yuck. ;)

14. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure about the Francis reference... but boy, does that look a lot better than the first version.

15. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing he's channeling Sgt. Hulka in Stripes.

shawn12011 and greekchampion04 repped this.
  16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    This sentence never ends well.

skippy, manoa, ElJefe and 6 others repped this.
  17. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There you go mon ami...

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't think Goff sucks. When he is motivated he does a very good job.

But I get the sense he is bored to tears covering this team. It just comes through in his writing and blog posts and tweets. He seems uninspired.

Now, I can't say I blame him. All the other beat writers at the Post's sports staff rotate every 3-4-5 years. Guys go from being the Capitals writer to the Maryland writer or the Skins writer, etc... (Richard Justice, one of my all-time favorite Post writers, covered the Skins, Bullets and Orioles, back when they were the "local" team.)

But this guy's been covering the team since before any of us heard of Said Fazlagic. He's got to be tired of writing the same stuff over and over. I mean, you can only describe a soccer game or write a practice report or a player profile so many ways and I imagine a team mired in the Catch 22 situation DCU is in makes the job that much more tedious.

I always assumed one of the reasons the Post (and most other papers) rotated their beat writers around was to keep them from getting burned out and bored and the viewpoints the readers, uh, read, fresh. Perhaps it's time for the Post to re-assign him to another beat and let someone with a different viewpoint and energy level cover the team.

Just a thought.

19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I don't know if I agree with you but If nothing else you've posted an original thought on BigSoccer & that in itself is so rare I'll have to give your rep.

20. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    I think you guys are making a lot out of something that isn't that big a deal.

So, the guy who is seen as being the "top dog" on the United beat wasn't first with this particular story. He was second to a guy who, even if his outlet isn't local, is himself a local guy also on the United beat.

I don't think that Goff being slightly slower than someone else to post on one particular story means "Goff sucks". If anything, I think this event should be an encouraging one, because it means that there's at least one other outlet that has a guy on the United beat and is trying to get those stories to us (meaning that we're not 100% Goff-dependent).

dadman, manoa, TheJoeGreene and 5 others repped this.
  21. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very well said.

I've had gripes about Goff's coverage from time to time -- but then, I've had gripes about every reporter's coverage of everything from time to time. And for the reasons you give above, this particular incident isn't worth griping about.

dadman, TheJoeGreene and sitruc repped this.
  22. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    On BS, every particular incident is worth griping about.

Boloni86, MattR and nobletea repped this.
  23. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree with your post, but I also don't think this situation (albeit minor) was the catalyst for this conversation and thread.
    I think people have been noticing and complaining about goff for a while.
    While I bitch about the lack of real deal dirt we get from the media on the united front, i just think the media situation we are in is a product of the environment. no matter how much we care, we are only a small percentage of the clicks that webpage gets.

I respect goff because AT LEAST he knows more than me.

24. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    It wouldn't shock me in the least if Goff disappears soon as DC beat writer, taking a job with a bigger audience, better leagues etc. and leaves us with some total shitbird hack.

25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Going behind a pay wall online later this summer might be equivalent to "disappearing" (for many readers).