Goff: Follow the money

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by monster, Jul 6, 2005.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Lamar Hunt in an interview that Andy Mead did for Emerald City Gazette last year (BTW, ECG #26 is out. If you're a subscriber, watch your mailbox. If you're not, subscribe today!), FCD will be a profitable team in Frisco from Day One.

Granted, that was before the whole "six games in the Cotton Bowl" thing came up, but...

2. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Hallelujah!

By all means, subsidize us until we have our own place

"DC United's House of Payne at Poplar Point"

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, for the next 20 years? :D

4. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    If that's how long I have to take a handout, then I'll swallow my pride and skim off your profits for that long.

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really want to put up with my **************** and the **************** from Galaxy, FCD, Chicago, Columbus, and Colorado fans on the Internet for that long?

6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you believe that? That's not a slam; I'm just ignorant about the situation there. Are the ticket sales plus drop in overhead after the move indicating that right now, as far as you know? I would have naively thought that even after the stadium is built and FCD makes the move, a fair amount of additional marketing is gonna be necessary to get into the black.

7. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I'll try and salve my wounds by watching DVDs of our MLS Cup wins...

8. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    The naming rights deal, and many other "signature" sponsorship deals, plus ancillary revenue from concerts, special events and youth tourneys. Not to mention a serious uptick in season ticket sales and the addition of luxury box leases. 100% of revenue from concessions and parking. PHP is a revenue cash cow for HSG, much more the Crew stadium has been. And if they can get regular sell outs going, they might rival HDC's revenue since they can't do big youth tournaments at HDC and AEG has to split some revenue with the college.

9. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I live within walking distance of the Metro, and my rent is $485 a month. It's called "roommates."

10. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    PHP is sponsored out the bootay, but does that sponsorship dough go back into MLS coffers, or is there a separate stadium company so that Uncle Lamar doesn't have to share it?

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go look at a rendering of the stadium, but don't look at the stadium itself. Look around the stadium.

12. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, although this part I don't really think of as FCD money (the question being FCD's profitability status) . . .although I guess it effectively is, seeing as how the facility wouldn't have been built in the first place if there wasn't a team to build it for.

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It all goes to Hunt Sports Group.

14. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Does this matter? Saying that FCD will be profitable can mean many different things. Is FCD as an operation, spanning several different corporations, profitable? Is FC Dallas as an independant corporation profitable? I don't know, but Lamar is probably looking it at as I spent X amount of $$$ building this stadium, paying the players and coaches, and maintaing the PHP facility and I got Y back from ALL PHP related events and Y>X then the entire operation is profitable.

15. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    As fascinating and scintillating as this conversation about FC Dallas' new stadium revenue is, can we get back on topic of salaries at DC United...

:)

16. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Well, given that we're going to rely upon FCD's profits to help pay our players, I submit that we ARE on topic...

17. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    yeah, yeah, Guppy makes too much and Gros is basically and indentured servant.....what else is there?

18. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I saved alot of money by switching my insurance to GEICO.

19. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough.

Since all indications are that AEG is gonna sell the team soon, and sine the buyers could potentially be put off by moves that significantly affect the team's financial situation, I would naively think that the soon-to-be-owners have input into stuff involving player acquisitions/trades, classification, and salaries (including the AAAA, Petke trade for money, etc.). Obviously Payne would have such input anyway; but I'm thinking more in terms of the other two. How much input would they get? Veto power? Are they already effectively running the team?

20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yes, to the DC United board, because one form of profit would subsidize the rest of the league, and one wouldn't.

21. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    True dat. Regardless, FCD is certainly going to be closer to break even, if not in the black, as an MLS entity, which would mean the rest of the league will have less of a bill to pay at the end of the day. So, in one form or the other, we will be subsidizing the rest of the league.

22. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    As long as all you guys continue to subsidize our trophy case, who cares?

23. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Um, has Lamar given Ruiz a raise from the 50K he was getting at LA?

24. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Nope. But this is the last year of that contract, so he's going to get a raise real soon. Hopefully it will come out of Lamar's contract. Otherwise we are seeing Pescadito's finaly season in MLS. And I wasn't saying that you guys were unfairly critical of the salaries, I was just commenting on how there was little left to discuss about DCU salaries since just about everyone agreed.

25. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    While it perhaps is true that teams with stadia (not just our esteemed colleagues from Dallas but also the esteemed representatives from Los Angeles and Cowlumbus) subsidize the teams without stadia, in the MLS the financials are all made up and the figures don't matter...

What does matter is what effect will publishing these numbers (last years and apparently this years) have on keeping players at DC United when they negotiate new contracts? Will players like Gros and Esky be in a better or worse position to negotiate a raise? Will the publication flatten out the salary band around the middle so that all players earn in the $70k to $120K range?