News: Goff exclusive: DC United vs. Real Madrid, Sunday Aug. 9

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by TOTC, May 28, 2009.

1. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I will say here that the premium seat prices are likely to go up, but in the near-term future, there are likely to be behind-the-goal seats that are no pricier than what we have now in the corners, at most.

New stadiums won't really drive high prices--sellouts will drive high prices.

2. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Well, they'll keep a handful of seats with low prices that they can use for marketing purposes. The prices of the vast majority of them will go up.

Doesn't really matter what the price is. I'll be buying my seats anyway.

3. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    What I'm saying is, unless they build the stadium smaller than they've been advertising, supply won't really be a factor at most games. So prices will only go up if demand does.

4. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I understand your point, but disagree completely. Pricing for seating at regular league games is not going to be driven by demand. I'm saying that the price point for each tier of seating is going to be higher than it is now. They're going to count on people being willing to pay more to sit in a new stadium, and they're going to recover their cost every way they can.

5. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Personally, I think hypothesizing about the possible future DC stadium scenarios, ticket pricing, and the effects of games like this on said scenarios is like hypothesizing as to who would win in a fight, Santa or the Tooth Fairy wielding the sharpened horn of a unicorn.

6. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Not really. Basically all I said was that I expected prices to rise in a new stadium. That's almost inarguable, but this being BigSoccer...

7. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I would expect prices to rise in a new stadium also. My point is discussing anything regarding a new stadium in DC is like discussing anything else from the land of fantasy.

8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we pretend that Nowak is coming back to coach DCU instead of going to Philthydelphia?

9. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Actually I heard Nowak is not only going to coach the team, he's going to do it while building the stadium.

10. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dood, Santa would totally kick the Tooth Fairy's a$$.

I just think it stinks that this was going to be my last game before heading for an overseas assignment and was hoping to have a bunch of friends come with me for a "going away tailgate."

No way am I asking friends to spend ninety bones to see the Royals.:(

11. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

Nope.

Exactly.

And this seems to be the great divide. For some, this is special and big, while to others it is useless and uninteresting, or annoying at the worst. It's actually rather polarizing, I think. Matt is the rare fan so dedicated and monied (or crazy) that he just shrugs and make another donation to "United for Me".

I think I've donated myself on too many instances.

Yep, an old discussion at this point, but I have never wanted that. As nice as it can be to watch, there's too much money floating around in it to maintain its real value to a sports fan for long. I have always said, and always will, that I will be delighted with an MLS that has teams with all their own stadiums, fair tv coverage (about where we are at now), teams that average between 15 and 30k per game, and in which all the players are paid above average living wages, at a minimum.

Anything more begins dancing on the slippery slope.

12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they won't get me to swallow. :rolleyes:

The wine/whine and cheese crowd can cheer the ways Caps fans do. When the scoreboard tells them to. :D

13. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Fair enough.

We've seen plenty of price increases in our tickets already, and we're still at RFK.

14. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    'Monied'? Me? I wish.

I think I'm closer to the 'crazy' end of it. Sadly, I don't think twice about spending whatever it takes to watch DCU play. That's why I went to Seattle on a whim to see them play RM the last time. I'd go to every away game if I had the time - I just don't have much of it. (Maybe that's not such a bad thing.)

Re: this match, I really don't care for friendlies. Hence my complete lack of interest in the match in Baltimore. Since we're in this one, I'll be there.

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's a bit funny(and somewhat depressing) reading some of this discussion about ticket prices and the prices going up with a new stadium or the costs being proportional to the opponent or event when United already has some of the highest ticket prices in the league(are we still behind the Gals?). Some of us have just gone along with it, but what we pay in parking could get us a good ticket in several markets.

16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    without wading thru 12 pages of bantering and wandering off topic:

why FedEx and not RFK? - RFK sucks - maybe not as bad as before the Nats poured in a lot of money for lockerroom paint and cleaning up and converting the elephant cage into clean batting cage (and now a clean warmup room) - but it still sucks - And Real Madrid FO knows this - HOW? - They came here with their youth academy team to play ours about a month ago - And I'm pretty sure it was REAL MADRID that dictated the game gets played at FedEx - Since DC United doesn't own either venue, what's in it for them to host a game at RFK - NOTHING - It's at FedEx - a no-brainer - (which is why, I guess, it didn't occur to too many people here)

Prices? - Lousy seating? - so what? - Its supposed to be a money maker here - They gotta balance payments to RM with projected attendance - Prices too high and you lose fans - Prices too low and more numbers still mean you don't make as much as you thing - They're not counting on 30K DC United fans - They're counting on RM/Spanish/Euro fans

The game itself? - Who knows? - We will be really hot at that time? - Last time at Qwest, we were just about the hottest team in MLS and against the mighty RM we got a tie - That was a great game, but Nowak's insistence on a result ran us out of gas later on in Sept/Oct - If we're a hot team by early August, I expect a really entertaining first half - After that, I'd be willing to take a loss of our B squad by their B squad

17. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, it's United playing so of course I want to go - but I'd feel used if I paid those prices, so I'll watch at home. If they ditched TV, I would probably go but I wouldn't be happy about it.
    I'll pull a TV out on the deck, fire up the grills and cheer for DC. I really do not know or care much about the other Real, I prefer the one located in Utah.

I also bet DCU won't be making as much money off of this as people are thinking, they're in it more for the advertising angle if it's like the rest of their friendlies with big-named teams.

Just remember that cost-wise, it will make MUCH more sense for each person to drive their own car. With each passenger in your car, your price for parking doubles. Besides, it'll make for more traffic and really piss off those scumbag NIMBYs from the PGC, and you can carry more beer, so it's win-win.

18. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thus why I provided it as a parenthetical possibility. :D

I think if you're post here, you're automatically at least half-crazy.

19. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Only if the horn came from a unicorn that farted glitter.

20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude, all unicorns fart glitter. Personally, I like bathing in their tears :)

21. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And poop rainbows! :D

22. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Since I coordinated my travel plans to Mexico City for Sunday AM (to watch the regularly scheduled match on Sat), I won't be attending the RM game.

At first, I was disappointed because I thought that this would be game C (or game D). Given that this isn't the case, I'm ambivalent.

Santa has size, but the TF has speed, youth and guile. Santa has been sitting on his laurels too long.

I'd take the TF.

23. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    And bleed silver.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm tired of that type of argument. Everybody know it is bullshit. S.C. has a larger full-time staff, but TF is supplemented by worldwide volunteers and parents. A lot of Dr. C's work doesn't even receive full credit in these modern times although him and his crew hit up the entire world in a night after working all year to find what people want and make it. T. Fairy gets around, but I'm not about to give shim credit for waltzing around with a wallet. Mr. C has a full sack of toys for his deliveries. The old man is in shape. He has to put on weight just for Christmas so he can live through the night. He always ends up being smaller than Niell. Therefore, Mr. C has size and strength on T. Fairy and I wouldn't underestimate his speed. I might call that a push. Even if the fairy had a chance, Santa's family and staff would have his back before anything got started. Plus, Santa goes home to Mrs. C. Don't believe those drawings that have her as some sweet and jolly looking older woman. She's been known to let the female elves and reindeer come into the bedroom too.

1 person likes this.
  25. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    "The" Tooth Fairy, is actually a collective and pretty scary:

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdHe_NmEjGM"]YouTube - HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY - HELLBOY ON TOOTH FAIRIES[/ame]