Goff: DCU and FCD passed on Stephen Appiah

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by narko, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I thought they tried to test the waters with Internacional(bra)? But Inter declined and said he wasnt for sale (obviously after winning them the Copa Sudamericana!).

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more things change in this big scary world, it's nice to be able to count on certain things never changing :D

3. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as the training wheels, salary cap that can't pay for a hot dog and a flick in New York and single entity exist, you would be correct.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, LA wasn't pursuing him. It was a rumor put out by his agent to get his name out there. LA doesn't have a DP slot, and MLS doesn't pay (significant) transfer fees.

5. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Really? This is the first time ive heard of this... .and i thought i stayed on top of all that news! LOL

Do you have an sources stating this? Or is it all rumor too?

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Or the fact that the DP reverts to Chivas either after 2009 or 2011 (I forget the length of the trade) makes it hard for them to use it. If it was the three year trade, few players want to sign a one-year closed-ended deal. If it was the five year trade that's still a concern for some players. And, frankly, the DP program was chartered for three years - to be revisited after the 2009 season. I'm guessing it'll get tied up in CBA politics. Even if the trade with Chivas landed New York the DP through 2011, there's no guarantee that DPs will exist after this season.

I guess analyzing the situation is harder than whining.

7. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

If Seattle only waited a few months!

8. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Osorio isn't interested in grabbing a second DP. He would rather take that 325k and get a few better players for depth since they have continental competition this year (strange to say that). If they do look to bring in a player expect it to happen during the summer transfer period due to it creating buzz for the stadium and that the player is basically at half price for their cap hit. Plus VDB's salary was being supplemented by KC so they weren't paying the full price for him last year. His cap number (if he re-signs with the team) will most likely be double what it was this year (which would be offset by Reyna's coming off the books).

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow, when I was posing the original question, I was thinking the same thing.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a rumor that LA doesn't have a DP slot, and it's not a rumor that MLS doesn't pay transfer fees.

11. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Oh. So this is your opinion? I mean its no lie, that i am sure LA would find someway to get their hands on a DP slot if they got their hands on D'alessandro, and the league would help them i am sure. Hell with Beck's possibly leaving if things go incredible for him at Milan, maybe thats why they went after him? And MLS is doing alot of things they havent done before, a transfer fee to bring probably a contender(if not the winner) for south american footballer of the year?? Why not!

12. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? Because precedent shows otherwise, that's why. Your comments are speculation based on what merit exactly (aside from happy-go-lucky hopes)? I'm not saying it's out of the question completely, but you're not really giving anything to counter what he's saying aside from a circular response of "why not?" LD and Beck's are still under contract officially, where exactly would they fit him under the cap? LA is currently interested in high-profile signings that do jack shit to help the team, why would they go for Dalessandro? Furthermore, what does the situation in LA have to do with Appiah?

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blah blah blah

Like I said, LA wasn't trying to buy D'Alessandro. Period. Let's move on.

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Riiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

Just another BS member on here spewing garbage.

15. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Okay, I'll say it. KC should talk to Appiah. :D

16. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Appiah says it's not true

My gut feeling has been that this "intermediary" that Goff described was something shady that forced the teams to back off. I think they may have thought they were really going to have a chance at this guy, but this was less than a clear-cut situation than we have heard.

18. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think many agents in Europe use MLS as a bargaining tool with European clubs... real contact of not. Clubs in Europe won't know the difference and will believe crazy things about MLS, particularly post Beckham.

19. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Interesting.... and good take on his statement.

20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD