Goff 11/16/04: Looking ahead

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by writered21, Nov 16, 2004.

1. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the reality of MLS rules and regs seeps through the championship banner, leaving a stain and dampening the celebration. Such is life.

GM

3. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Cant even enjoy the championship for a full day without worrying about who wont be in the Black & Red next season..we all knew it was coming, but losing some of a special group of guys like this is always going to be hard.

We definatley, definatley definatley definatley definatley need to sign Gomez.

4. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And here is who Goff thinks we'll protect:

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    ********ing parity. :(

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    It's not parity. It's economic realities. There's no way the league can afford to pay the same kind of salaries that the major European leagues can afford.

7. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    ********ing economic realities :(

8. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    --Would an Argentine kidnapping joke be in bad taste?

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I know, it does suck. But what can ya do?

10. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    all we can do is keep doing our part financially by buying tickets and merchandise.

11. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Make sad faces on a message board late at night. :D :cool:

12. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw realities down the well ....

:rolleyes: GM

13. jlm120170

jlm120170 New Member

Dec 14, 2003
    maryland

And all that stuff can go to HELL..

14. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If KP puts 4 stars on everything for next season, I'll be like a kid in a candy store. <Gets the Visa warmed up>

It's sad to see that we don't have at least a week to celebrate, I don't see what the huge rush is to get all the trades and whatnot done. But I guess Chivas and Real have to get their geese lined up for United to shoot down next season. ;)

15. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    ....did anyone notice this?!

United won't be able to rely on the regular draft, scheduled for mid-January in Baltimore, to fully bolster its roster because it appears the club will only have a second- and fifth-round pick -- the result of several trades the past two years.

Does this mean Lowe and I get to host a party?!

Maybe they will seat us behind the podium so we can "unfairly change the flow of the match" :rolleyes:

16. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

There needs to be a group there to heckle the Mutts pick with "J-E-T-S! JETS! JETS! JETS!"

It's the only proper way to conduct a draft. :D:D

17. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    We'll have all off-season to celebrate our championship. But the work never stops. Not only is it about expansion and the draft (which means scouting college soccer) but the next couple of months are the best time to scout foreign talent b/c they're in-season. So United doesn't get a chance to take a break--their work never stops.

I hate to see anyone from this championship go--they're part of something special and everyone contributed (even people like Jason Thompson and Tim Lawson). But that said, I still hold to my initial claim that there are very few people we wouldn't have difficulty replacing.

The reality of MLS these days is that every offseason you have to move players. Not just MLS minimum salary guys. Not just someone who was a poor performer. Mike Petke ended his season playing some most excellent soccer. Paired with a top-notch organizer in the middle, Peke will mark an individual attacker out of the match (exhibit 1A: see Arnaud, David). I'd hate to see him leave. But I bet we could find someone as good or better for less money. Seperate from guys leaving for Europe or expansion, we can't keep the same roster for next year. Some guys will get hurt, others will have had career years or slump next season. So you seek to improve anyway you can. And in MLS, that means releasing some guys to create cap and roster room for new talent. Sad but true.

If Nellie does indeed leave (and makes it clear before the expansion draft), I don't think we're likely exposing anyone who is really critical to the team. Yes, we'd likely be protecting only 1 defender (Namoff). But it's not as if the other possibilities (Petke, Hendrickson, or maybe Lawson) are key players we'd build our scheme around. They're role players at best.

I value them all. But the way of MLS is that teams have to break up each off-season in order to add new pieces.

18. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I saw it and wondered if there was going to be a "road trip" for that :)

I think that just might scare the crap out of the MLS brass :)

-dave

19. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Actually, with Stewart (I liked his fit in Nowak's team and will miss him, but I still say he was over payed in MLS terms) and possibly Nellie not returning, that will put us in a really good position for cap space (aren't we already actually under the cap by a fair amount?). If Nellie does resign, we can assume that he'll take most/all of Stewart's cap space, but that still leaves us with some wiggle room. I would also assume that Moreno gets a raise next year.

I think Friday and Nellie's decision are the two big keys to our off season.

-dave

20. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four reasons why we should feel positive the Front Office will fiind creative ways to fill the cracks that will inevitably open during the off-season: Josh Gros, Christian Gomez, Ezra Henderson & Troy Perkins. Henderson & Perkins (and even Gomez) may well be journeymen, but all four were great "finds" and they certainly contributed to the making of a champion.

21. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One cap note:

Jaime undoubtedly earned a great deal of incentive money this year, which, I believe, will count against next year's cap (unless we get a New Jersey exclusion clause)! ;)

GM

22. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    An even better reason to be present. Do they let the general public into these things? If so, would anyone be interested in going? If so, I would love to hook up at a bar down ehre to start it off right... ;)

23. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I thought there were "fans" at the Freddy bonanza. I thought the setup was something like:

stage
    team tables
    draftees
    FSW stage
    crazy people hoping to catch a glance of Freddy

Could be wrong though.

-dave

24. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    A road trip to Baltimore for the draft in January would be AWESOME.

25. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

I would be more than happy to assist with the festivities any way I could.
    Let me know! :D