God's Cruel Hoax via ESPN2 [R]

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by geordienation, Aug 17, 2002.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It just shows the utter disregard ESPN has for tennis. ;)

2. KDdidit

KDdidit Member

Apr 15, 2001
    The Brookfield Zoo
    Is this sarcasm? Cause it's pretty funny (unless you're an Olsen fan).

3. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Exactly...with overtime, the match ran long. If they started the broadcast on time, but then cut out overtime using the other logic, would you have been content.?

4. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I don't think what happened yesterday was that bad -- as others have said, they just need to be consistent. I could fault the scheduling, but it was only a few minutes. It wasn't quite the same as the incident in the first year or two of MLS when they made the mistake of scheduling tennis before MLS and wound up with a five-setter that cut out all but the last 10 minutes of the MLS broadcast.

I'd agree, though, that they could do more to cut back and forth between the two sports. When the Little Leaguers were conferring to sort out something with the lineup cards, they could have cut to Rob Stone to give the MLS lineups and perhaps shown some early action.

If they can cut into every pause of an MLB telecast to show highlights from other games (even ones they aren't showing themselves), I would think they could cut into a break in the Little League game to show D.C.'s goal within a minute or two of it happening.

5. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, THIS is a reasonable and constructive post. You ought to send your suggestions to ESPN.

6. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Pssh. He's just a journalist. No one listens to them.

7. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    can I send you a clue or do you not get to open your own mail?

8. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    an interesting idea...I guess they just decided to go with the "one at a time" theory.

but still, an interesting idea.

9. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    and it won't be the last time.

and it won't be the last time that Sportscenter/Tennis/Whatever is on next is snubbed for the end of our game.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess would be that while it's doable, it does an injustice to both games and (more importantly) to the sponsors who pay the freight. That gets bandied about a lot, but have you ever tried to actually watch two games on the same screen in the standard (for now) 4:3 television format?

11. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Unless you have a screen big enough to handle picture in picture capabilities, it's damn near unwatchable.

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, you are totally disrespecting the spirit of this forum. Did you not read the new tagline?

13. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I'll take my lumps on this one. My original post was a knee-jerk reaction to missing out on DC's first goal since the Nixon administration.

Seems to have started a lively discussion, though :D

14. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Here in SJ we have a local team Aptos that made it to the LLWS and they have been getting much more publicity than the Quakes. These are young kids and they deserve their chance to play and if ESPN agreed to carry the game then so be it. God know how many times I was watching a 3-0 or 4-1 soccer game and wished that it was over because it was so bad and had to stomach the whole game.

I sort of wish that the game had not gone into OT, s those extra minutes did nothing for my sunburn!

Besides who the hell wants to see DC United anyways?

Saludos y Musho Clash!

Pichi

15. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Yeah, I know. Silly me and my common sense.

16. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    yeah, don't get me wrong. it does suck that a goal was missed.

but at the same time, at least it's fair and consistent to all sports/programs on the network, not slighted against soccer. that's what gets me all worked up, the people who come on here and are CONVINCED that an injustice has occured while at the same time not understanding what they're even talking about.

17. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Either brilliant parody, or an honest question from a fan who will be very happy when Ben Olsen is back in form. Wondering who will fill the Earnie Stewart / Cobi Jones retirement void (assuming they retire from Nats duty)? Ben Olsen was the first choice right mid in '99. And frequently our most dangerous offensive option.

18. snorklefish

snorklefish New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Miami, FL
    As, unfortunately, is yours.

19. norfcath

norfcath New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Philadelphia
    The horseracing channel in Philadelphia does this all the time. It will usually be sending out signals from four tracks, and when two races go off at about the same time, it will show one of the races in a top window.

20. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Haha... this thread is laughable. For every game that goes to extratime, remember... we cut into something else. Good god!

21. Jacknut

Jacknut New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    No kidding! ESPN is an intrigral part of the vast anti-soccer conspiracy in the media.

22. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, he's the hero to half the people on these boards.