God Save the Queen!

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by KareemSoda, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Usually, if you Google on a song title you can find a page that will play it for you. I plan to try it tonight at home -- no speaker hooked up here at work.

Are we still on for suits tomorrow night? Black armbands would be in order, I think.

As for Jerusalem, I'm sure it is a hymn, with a slow and steady pulse, not unlike God Save The Queen in pace. If some of us learn the tune, we can practice it in Lot 18c before the match. I assume 18c due to the fair.

2. Frame

Frame Member

Nov 25, 2003
    NYC
    To more than just a few, in the UK and elsewhere, the flag also represents the imperialism that has provided a rationale for the fanatics of Al Qaeda. This is why a moment of silence is far better. Plus, in all the football matches I've attended in England and Scotland, on all kinds of occasions, I've never heard "God Save the Queen" played before the game. It just ain't done - it's bad manners, for both those pro and against. Also "Queen" does in fact mean queen, or more specifically, it means monarchy, and the song is a call to allegiance in the name of that system.

3. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    By hosting the Olympics anyways, you'll show them what's freakin up. :)

But a day after celebrating the pride of being able to host an event where the whole world comes together, something stupid like this happens. Hopefully we all can come together, like in the Olympics, and weed out the trouble. I wish the best for you guys in England!

4. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I have to agree with you there. As an irish american, I have no great love for the British monarchy, especially considering that during the Famine the Irish went to Queen Victoria for help and she only donated 5 pounds to the relief effort. A lot of greed and elitism there.

However, we shouldn't let distaste for the monarchy color (or "colour") our empathy for the British people. My girlfriend is English and she was hysterical with worry about her relatives in London during the bombings.

We need to show the Brits that we will stand with them through thick and thin just as they've stood with us in our time of need. That, my friends, is loyalty.

5. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Good to know that there is no possibility that among the dead and injured were no Scots ,or Welsh, or Northern Irish so just exclude them from any tribute .

If you were going to a tribute it has to with the Union flag & GSTQ as it's the British National Anthem like it or not .

6. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    How about "You'll Never Walk Alone." ???

An American song, well known in Liverpool, if not here.

7. Frame

Frame Member

Nov 25, 2003
    NYC
    "You'll Never Walk Alone" is a very good suggestion.

8. jolysaddler

jolysaddler New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Walsall, England
    you seem to be thinking about this an awful lot, the fact is, either the union flag or st georges flag-GSTQ or Jerusalem would all be greatly appreciated. no-one is gonna worry about anti monarchy types at this time.

9. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honest question: Why do they continue to play GSTQ at England matches? I know there is a 'movement' for replacing Land of Hope and Glory (or something else) to replace GSTQ as the national anthem.

Also, if GSTQ is indeed the British anthem (as it is played at Olympics), how do the Scots feel about one of the verses (...Rebellious Scots to crush...). I know they use Flower of Scotland, after all.

10. cliffkram

cliffkram Member

May 4, 2003
    Brum via NYC
    Nice to see the hometown fans are thinking of us :)

I unplugged my phone last nite when i got home, so i didnt have to talk to anyone. At 1:30 am (of course while i'm watching Metro v Galaxy) I get a call asking if I'm all right...but since I was focused on Metro i had no idea the popo were exploding buses in city centre.

In any case, all was well.