God Bless America on 09/07?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by UltraCinek, Sep 4, 2002.

1. I just wanted to throw this idea of singing God Bless America at the 9:11 min. of the game like we did last year during the first game in September. What do you all think?

If we want to have this realized, I am going to need to have somebody print the text of the song and make copies of it, like it was done last year. I can cover most or all of the cost of photocopying (depending on how large the bill is going to be) but we can probably find more sponsors here. But most importantly, we would need a few people who would distribute this among the people coming to the match.

Let's see if we can make it work.

2. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    i'll do it (begrudgingly, i'm not a huge fan of the song but i like the idea) but i dont know what i could do to help...just letting you know i'm in for the singing idea.

3. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    with all respect marcin, let's drop all that patriotic bullsh!t. it's been stuffed down our throats from every facking direction for a year now. it's just a soccer game, and the u.s. isn't even playing.

4. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    I think this should have fallen into the "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." category.

5. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Maybe we should forget those veterans that fought in Vietnam, as well?

In columbus, we're calling around to get the biggest American flag we can find so fans can hold it up during the game as a tribute to those attacked.

Marcin, I suggest making some flyers for those non section 8 folks.

6. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I'm for signing the song, mainly since everyone knows the words and it's a better song than the national anthem anyhow.

I wouldn't go as far as getting a large american flag but a small touch of singing the song would be quite nice.

7. quarterUltra

quarterUltra Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Stillwater, OK
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may be your one chance to get the entire stadium singing at the same time.

Good luck, I'll be listening for it. :)

8. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    i could think of better tributes than a big piece of cloth, but that's a topic for somewhere else. i guess the smaller the sh!t town, the bigger the stars and stripes.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Not again. Oy vey! At least they left some Newcastles [​IMG]

10. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Sounds like a great idea

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, anyone that wants to come by for the game and leave Newcastles in my fridge should just drop me a PM or email!

12. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hopefully this doesn't sound stupid, but while you're handing out lyric sheets, perhaps on the back or something you could be some words to the songs (if you have any actual songs), that your supporters group sing, nice convient way to maybe get some others involved in the noise making. Not that I have any particular intrest in helping chicagoon fans out, but if it helps push soccer forward, i'm all for it.

13. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    God bless America, land that I love
    Stand beside her and guide her
    Through the night with the light from above
    From the mountains To the prairies,
    To the ocean white with foam
    God bless America, My home sweet home. :|

I can run some off on the laser printer.

14. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    you probably want to do it a couple of times, as people aren't going to pick up right away

maybe 3 times

hopefully it works

15. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Nah, just let Howard Balsam know what's going on and he may just join in at the appropriate time on the PA.

16. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I'm not big with patriotism either, but I think somethings are so terrible that they supercede whatever personal beliefs you have. I am not religious. I am not a patriot, but I will be at the game, and I will sing.

I think it's a great idea.

17. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    though i'm not sure about that "whatever personal beliefs" comment (i dont like that word 'whatever' in there), you basically summed up my feelings.

18. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying "whatever" like a 10 year old girl, it's the actual meaning. I don't mean that rudely, I'm just saying.

19. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Oh GOD no.

I love Howard and all, but after this season it may be time to put him out to stud (woohoo! First stop Maude Flanders!). Let's go fulltime with the Antonio Banderas soundalike.

20. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    i took 'whatever' to mean 'any and all'

see what i mean?

maybe it's just me, i dont know...

21. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough.

N/O, but I think it may be. Jaquie would have said something by now. [​IMG]

22. gofire2001

gofire2001 New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Section 8 Chicago
    Marcin, I'll hand out copies and help pay for some of the cost.

Matt

23. OK, I have about 3000 flyers printed (I think this should be sufficient) and I just need a few people to distribute this as I will be busy with other things before the game. Matt is already one person and if anybody else is willing to do it please email me. We would meet on the bench on the corner of Washington and Chicago about 1.5 hours before the game and then you would have to stand at the entrance gates to distribute the flyers. Let's make sure that we have at least enough people to cover all entrance gates.

24. Jaquie

Jaquie New Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I am sorry, honey, have I been ignoring you?

While I did not fly flags from my car windows, put signs up on my house and proclaim myself to be a proud American after the attack on September 11th -I am one. I was raised by two U.S. Marines and taught to live my life always as a proud American.

I will proudly sing God Bless America at any time - but I will find it even more special to sing it with 15K people. What makes honoring the memories of those lost on that day even more special is to sing it with Fire fans. Fire fans are exactly what makes up America - people from many different walks of life.

Marcin: I think it is a great idea and I will try to arrange to be there to help distribute sheets.

25. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually what I said had nothing to do with Patriotism, it was about me being wrong and you telling me. Usually in society, a face with a damn tongue sticking out of it means it's a joke.