Goalie Gloves: Why Are They So...

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Anoldo Schwarzeneggr, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Anoldo Schwarzeneggr

Anoldo Schwarzeneggr BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 26, 2003
    Atlanta
    Why are goalie gloves so big and thick? Your hands slide around them on the inside because they are made not to really fit tightly, and they get wet quickly because they do not breathe.

The padding is so thick on the palms, what's up with that?

I was watching an NFL game, and the recievers seem to wear a glove made out of some sticky rubber that is form-fitted to their hand and VERY thin.

Why don't companies that make goalie gloves use the new technology?

Or, maybe the NFL have it all wrong--and recievers should use goalie gloves.

Who's using the best catching gloves? Soccer or Ami football?

2. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    a soccer ball is kicked at 130km/h (Alex from Brazil was clocked at 120km/h), a football is probably only thrown at half that or a quarter that speed, golie gloves are designed to be able to take the impact "away" from your hands, have you ever tried being a golie without gloves, I have and it hurts when its kicked hard as hell. If you want to go out there and stop a shot from close range with a glove designed to improve grip but do nothing for impact, good luck.

3. Anoldo Schwarzeneggr

Anoldo Schwarzeneggr BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 26, 2003
    Atlanta
    Did your nail polish rub off too? And I think a QB can throw the ball more than 1/4 the speed of 70mph. I would guess that Favre can throw the ball in the 60mph range.

4. MightyBees

MightyBees New Member

Aug 16, 2003
    London, England
    The majority of goalies (esspecially Spanish and Italian!) tend not to catch the ball from shots, they opt for punching or pushing the ball- which means the extra padding or the bigger they are, are an advantage!
    Anyway who remebers when goalies didnt wear gloves and balls where like bricks!!!!!!!

5. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    maybe, but I'd bet he never throws it that hard at someone 6 yards away.

60 mph is 30 yards a second. It sounds rather quick for a throw.

If your gloves move around then I'd take that radical step of questioning whether the gloves you have are the right size.

6. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    It's the mainstay of school life I think - at least here.
    When I was at school it was only the posh kids who could fritter away their parent's money on goalkeeping gloves - everyone else (and that did actually mean everyone else if we were playing 'rush' goalie) had to put up with refreshingly red and tingling palms by the end of break-time.
    My mate Richard Wilkinson was the hardest striker of the ball I knew as a kid - and it used to damn well hurt then. God only knows how bad a stinger from Roberton Carlos or some other tree-trunk legged chap would feel on a cold crisp January night.

Ahhh...good times..

7. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Football for Dummies (authors are Howie Long and John Czarnecki) gives Favre's throwing speed at upwards of 40 mph.

There's also the difference in the job the two players in question is trying to do. The Football receivers' job is simply to catch the ball and so they have a lot more leeway as to how far they can adjust to the throw's momemtum. Job 1 for Keepers is to keep the ball out the the net and s/he usually starts from the endline and moves toward the ball to do this, whether they're catching, blocking, punching, etc. Thus you add the keeper's speed to the speed of the shot to get the real impact of the ball (and because Favre usually hits guys in their stride, you can subtract the running speed of the receiver from the speed of the ball to get the practical speed of the football's impact for many catches). I believe that's why keeper gloves have padding (in addition to protecting the hands from cleats, etc.). I also believe that's why some models are stiffened so the fingers can't hyperextend backwards. 2 different things.

8. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    What a silly question!

Ok now lets talk about why NFLers where HUGE shoulderpads and Mid-fielders dont!

9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Me..!
    I started playing in goal when the ball was made of leather, without plastic coating. Like you said, on a nice 'cool' frosty morning when someone took a close in shot, you knew it. But you know what, you got to know how to handle it properly so it didn't hurt so much.
    When the ball got wet it was like a brick wrapped in snot, the best we could do was get some woolen gloves and hope for the best.

10. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No actually my nail polish didn't Arnold, you sound really funny.

11. Riptide

Riptide New Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Columbus, Ohio
    Not all goalie gloves are big, thick, baggy and allow your hands to move around in.

It all depends on what size glove you get and it also depends on the glove cut. Glove cuts, features and fit are all individual to each keeper. Some professional keepers like Oliver Kahn prefer a glove that has a thicker, more padded palm. Some keepers like the Columbus Crew's Jon Busch prefer a glove that has thinner latex on the palm. There are many glove cuts and styles out there. The key is knowing what each glove cut is and how it fits.

Your standard conventional cut glove like the adidas Fingersaves might allow your hand to move around more inside the glove.

Whereas if you bought a glove with a negative cut like the HO MGC Negative or Reusch Bundesliga, it's more tighter on your hand and fingers.

Also, roll finger gloves are typically more snug around the fingers. They're not as tight as a negative cut glove, but not as loose as a conventional flat palm cut. Think of them as a happy medium. Roll fingers have the latex going around 3/4 of the finger, thereby putting more latex in contact with the ball no matter how your fingers are gripping the ball.

Finally, some manufacturers provide glove models with a 1mm layer of internal latex inside the glove. This allows your hands to stick to the inner latex, not move around so much and often reduces any bagginess in the palm. Some gloves that use internal latex:

Sondico Interior Fit (Roll finger cut in Europe - Flat Cut in US)
    HO MGC Negative (Negative cut)
    Sells Dual Adhesion Contact (Roll finger cut)
    Reusch OrthoTec Duo (standard flat cut)

For more information on keeper gloves and keeper topics in general, I invite you to join us at:

http://www.goalkeeperzone.com

Best,

- Rip

KeeperZone
    The Definitive Online Resource For Keepers
    http://www.goalkeeperzone.com