Goal of The Year: 10 Finalists Announced

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by JG_Revs, Oct 9, 2002.

1. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    http://www.mlsnet.com/special/mlscup/02/goy/ballot.php3

Tough to go against Ekelund on this one, despite some good efforts from Twellman and a couple others. Personally, I think anything scored on Matt Jordan should be thrown out (i.e. the last two)... if I recall, a big portion of last year's candidates came against Dallas as well (Mathis' long run, a couple free kicks, Sunsing dancing through the defense).

2. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    ( To view Round by Round the elected GOAL OF THE WEEK for the Brazilian Championship follow the link below)

Wish you guys could see some of the goals being scored in the Brazilian league (actually you can catch some if you watch FSW or have Globo Internacional on DISH - 8 games a week! $20 a month).

Just in the last couple of rounds there were 2 magnificent bicycle kicks and one amazing goal when the guy used his right foot to kick a ball the was on his left side (not sure how to describe it other than he overlapped his right leg behind his left leg and banged it in).

Just yesterday there were two erie non goals that reminded me of WC Mexico 70. On the first Reinaldo of Sao Paulo sped through the entire field and when reaching the goalie did one of those Pele fakes around the goalie. Just like in 1970 he missed the goal, it hit the post as the goal was open. And in another game a player attempted a goal from midfield as Pele did in 70...that also missed.

You can catch all Brazilian goals on the Globo Esporte Website. They post all the goals after their daily 30 minute show. You can look for Sunday goals on Monday or Tuesday and midweek goals on Thursday and Friday. Its also arquived for about a week. Go to:

http://www.redeglobo.com.br/globoesporte

Click on the link REPETECO (meaning Rebroadcast) and pick a day. Then look for the camera icon on the GOLS segment.

ELECTED BEST GOALS BY THE VIEWERS click here...dont miss it!

http://redeglobo.globo.com/globoesporte/pagina.php?tipo=repeteco&id=4770

3. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    I can't believe they don't have Hristo's goal against Dallas. Unbelievable!!!

4. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I watched all 10, and the only one that made me say "holy s**t!" was Santino's goal, so it got my vote. Ekelund had a good goal as well, but that was a tough, tough, shot to make on the run, at least Ekelund's was from a set piece.

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't that great. I think of at least two goals directly off free kicks that were better.

6. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't belive that Chris Albright isn't on there!!! Yes, he did score this year. :p

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    No really beautiful goals this year. A pity.

Twellmans third goal is my personal favorite. No real esthetic preference for it. I just think it was the most dificult one at the technical level. Twelmann shows beautiful first touch and an explosive first step in a yards space to set himself up for scoring position. The combination of the two most important talents of a goal scorer are shown.

8. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know if there's a way to view the high res version of these goals?

The low res version of the goals your link provides gives image on Windows Media Player equivalent to viewing the game in a rainstorm.

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quaranta or Ekelund. Ruiz's is pretty nice as well, along with Twellman's third. I put my vote in for Santino's, but both are deserving.

10. OBartleby

OBartleby New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    I voted for Kreis: a well-driven cross into the box and Jason, at a full run, takes a leaping full-dive at it, almost colliding with the keeper, and buries it. If I could have voted for two, I would have also voted for Graziani's shot from an impossible angle that went over the keeper and into the roof of the net. Those were the only two that made me smile.

By the way, is it me or does MLS really want Twellman to win this award by giving him three nominations?

11. peteo

peteo Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Daly Citay, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    THREE IS A CROWD!

or perhaps you mean MLS wants someone else to win the award because they had just minimized twellman's chances of winning with those three nominations. ask any revs fan which one he/she voted for and you'll get different answers.

ciao!

13. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    You just got played by a Twellman teenie bop groupie!?!?!?

Really, none of those goals really impressed me that much....Surprised me, though.... I could have sworn that I saw some great goals this year (like one of Ruiz's goal vs Dallas in the U.S. Open cup).

I voted for Ekelunds, though....just something a little different in a free kick (it was a blast after all).

Twellman would have won it....if he just made his bicycle kick just a little further away from goal (he was practically inside it when he did it!?!?!?!?)

And yeah....seems like MLS just can't get enough of Twellman with their goals selection...too bad they are paying him some piss poor amount for a salary!?!?!? (here's a little advice for ya Taylor....want to make a lot of money playing soccer????....move out of the U.S.!?!?!?!)

14. usagoal

usagoal Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Las Vegas
    I think he knows that already :D

15. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Personally, although it wasn't scored from distance, I liked Ruiz' goal. That was a tight angle and a tough shot to pull out of the air with his right foot.

16. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    i voted for valderrama... well I'm just Biased......

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pretty funny.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal of the year is Graziani's goal, BTW.

He was going at full speed, shot at an absolutely impossible angle with power, and put it in the one and only place where he could.

19. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    I pride myself on my humour!?!?!?

BTW...Ben ORielly is a tool. Just had to get that out.

20. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    I added the "O" for good measure....

Ben Reilly...Bill OReilly...are we dealing with the same person here!?!?!? hmmmmmm??????

21. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Actually the goals are not that great. I voted for the DC United Guy.

22. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    it was similar but not quite as beautiful as shearer's goal last season...but i have to give it to ronnie...the other danish dynamite

23. Toffees_rule

Toffees_rule New Member

Feb 11, 2000
    SFSU
    so says the lad who has piss for either foot and couldn't score on a volley from 3 yrds out.