Goal Kicks

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by vivekphs, Aug 18, 2002.

1. vivekphs

vivekphs New Member

Jan 7, 2001
    Hey Guys. I play sweeper on my U19 club soccer team , and I still can't nail a goal kick to halfway consistenty. If I could add that to my skills, I could save a lot of hassle of having to work the ball out of the back every time. Any help?? Hopefully some of you keepers can give me some pointers. Anything would be appreciated.

2. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

My main piece of advice would be to focus on moving your kicking foot as quickly as possible. Don't worry about form, especially on your follow-through. Just take a few steps and smack it with the bone that separates your insole from the top of your foot (the laces).

Hitting the ball from the side will give you more leverage, but you have to be careful not to curve the ball too much. You will get a feel for this.

Take a friend or a bag of balls to the local field. Have your pal stand at the top of one penalty box while you are at the top of the other, then just kick it to each other. If you are alone, just practice bunches of freekicks then pick up all the balls at the other end and repeat.

Work on this until you hardly have to think about it. It is not hard and will make you a desirable player to have on the field. I'm only about 160lbs and can consistently bounce my goal kicks into the other team's box.

3. htafc

htafc New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    England
    good tips, but does anyone else have any :p

4. cazdaspaz

cazdaspaz New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    :p I have no power to kick it further than around 25-30 yards max. :p

5. htafc

htafc New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    England
    yeah, but your not a keeper!! (i think :eek: ) i am and can only kick around the same distance :eek: ;)

6. sockacrazy

sockacrazy New Member

May 6, 2004
    i find that you get more power if you pull your leg back further than just nail the sucker and if you get under it you should make it pretty far. Just take a ball and put it infront of the goal and just blast it into the net like 20 times and see how it feels to really nail it. then turn around and see how far you can make it. just get under it. and i think it is pretty oubious but make sure you come at an angle. And your foot should come down and almost scoop the ball. sry for the bad discription. just go out there and try it. gl

-justin

7. cazdaspaz

cazdaspaz New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    LOL, although I should be able to kick it further, I'm a centre-back and can never seem to make a convincing clearance.

I'll definately try what you said, sockacrazy! :)

8. htafc

htafc New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    England
    yeah, so will i :p

9. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    It's more about technique than strength so just focus on every part of it.

Work out if your standing foot is in the right place, get enough backswing, make sure you follow through and make sure you hit it in the right place on your foot. It's something that will come eventually - it may help to have someone who can kick well to help you with technique.

10. cazdaspaz

cazdaspaz New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Yeah, but you should see my legs!

:)
    ||
    /\ <me

My technique (I've been told by my coaches etc.) is ok.

I dunno, but my kicks are still pretty crap. :) lol

11. metropolis2k

metropolis2k New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    England
    How old are you though?

EDIT: Actually, I just found out that you play under 14's in the other thread. At your age you don't really have the strength in your legs to get that distance yet. While it isn't all about strength you've got to have it to a certain extent. When you hit 16 you'll start to really notice yourself be able to kick a long way.

12. Ben16

Ben16 New Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Georgia
    you should just let your keeper take them.

13. goldenboy7

goldenboy7 Member

Jan 2, 2005
    im 14 and i take goal kicks for my team and i can kick to the halfway line all you have to do is go out and just kick the ball around and find what way is better for you