Goal contribution of the best players

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Trachta10, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Diego Maradona 1980

[​IMG]

Campeonato de Primera División 1980
    Here I consider the games against "top 5 teams", those are River Plate, Talleres, Platense and Unión
    [​IMG]

Campeonato Nacional 1980
    Here I consider that the big games are vs Unión and Talleres
    [​IMG]

In total 10 "big games" in season 1980

[​IMG]

The 10 games
    [​IMG]

Argentinos Juniors scored 13 goals
    Diego Maradona scored 11 No-PK goals and made 1 assist

12/13= 92.31%

2. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    #852 Trachta10, Sep 11, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    For Diego Maradona these are the seasons I have counted so far

[​IMG]

These numbers seem to match what Maradona said in this interview, that the best Maradona played in Argentinos Juniors and Barcelona

If you have to vote a Maradona, what team and what year?
    Maradona from Argentinos Jrs 79-80?
    from Boca Jrs 81?
    from Barcelona?
    from Napoli 87? from sevilla?
    from the argentine national team?

I vote the Maradona from Argentinos Juniors... and the beginning in Barcelona
    He didn´t touch the floor, was in the air and I love it because I passed them like cones, I had a lot of fun.

hear me out, who tell that the best Maradona was the one from Argentinos Juniors, then they don't exaggerate?

No, they don't exaggerate

So Maradona basically hold a participation percentage of 72.41% through 45 "big games" in five consecutive seasons

His teams scored 58 goals.
    Maradona scored 30 No-PK goals and made 12 assists

42/58= 72.41%

I believe without a doubt that this has to be the best peak of any player in football history

3. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #853 carlito86, Sep 11, 2021
    I just pinched myself because i must be freaking dreaming

How dare you:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not a single one
    of those big games vs platenese,tallares even ones vs Boca is equivalent to even Ronaldinhos best performances vs Chelsea/real Madrid,Neymar vs PSG,van basten vs real Madrid(89) not even van basten vs feyenoord(86/87)

Platenese?????????
    With all due respect...GTFO

Ronaldo/messi even ones like peak Luis Suarez would f*cking destroy some random top 4 team from Argentina

Diego Maradona

Vs Milan
    7 goals+4 assists in 16 matches

Vs Juventus
    5 goals+1 assist in 15 matches

Vs inter
    4 goals+0 assists in 12 matches

Vs real Madrid
    4 goals+3 assists in 9 matches

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/diego-maradona/bilanz/spieler/8024
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/diego-maradona/elfmetertore/spieler/8024

21 goals
    4 penalties
    8 assists
    52 games

0.42 non penalty goals+assists per 90
    Screenshot_20210911-195132-1.jpg

If we include another 'big team" like Roma his open play record becomes even worse

4. anamnesis del fútbol

Apr 9, 2021
    I think you deserve the copyright, Trachta10. Your research is very valuable and cost a sweat. It's surprising that the Brazilian media didn't care about Pelé's legacy of assists; an Argentine had to do it for them, it's not fair. Maybe you should try to sell your research to a Brazilian media that is interested. I don't think you did it out of interest, but you deserve recognition for your work.

Trachta10 repped this.
  5. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Tropeiro repped this.
  6. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Whats surprising about it? The Argentinian media care about Di Stefano's numbers of assists, Maradona's number of assists or Netherlands media about Cruyff's one or Portugal about Eusebio's one etc? I don't think so. Only, with all due respect, stats freaks care about it or the data media for business/sport proposals.

But yeah selling other's work is totally dishonest anyway.

7. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
  8. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    Their metric is probably bad or missing something for South American teams while calculating

Santos in 1971 vs Fluminense

I know Santos declined by that point , but they were 90th best team in the world??
    LMAO don't kill me

upload_2021-9-12_1-43-6.png

Tropeiro repped this.
  9. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    The Brazilian ones (teams and players) it is missing the data for sure, which is lowering their Elo ratings for sure, historically for both players and teams, the same problem of GoalImpact for example.

Also not sure about the team's point accuracy back in the time.

Legolas10 repped this.
  10. anamnesis del fútbol

Apr 9, 2021
    #860 anamnesis del fútbol, Sep 11, 2021
    There is no doubt that the best Maradona was in Argentinos Juniors. But you also need to apply context. Maradona played as false 9 for Argentinos Juniors, Boca and Barcelona and he was a prolific scorer. If I'm not mistaken, he was the top scorer in the Argentine league 5 times. Teams relied heavily on his goals. When he went to Napoli he played further back and with 2 forwards, so his scoring ability declined.

11. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #861 carlito86, Sep 11, 2021
    Im not sure what is so controversial about Santos(1971) being ranked 90th in the world after having dropped their level quite a bit in their own country

The playing field back then(according to Elo)was more levelled as you are keen to mention so many Times when it suits you

In 1970/71

The top ranked team was arsenal
    2127 points

The 50th ranked team was Roma
    1912 points

That's 215 points difference
    A big deal but not WOW
    http://elofootball.com/index.php?season=1970-1971#club

For example this is flamengo vs liverpool in the 1981 intercontinental cup final
    Screenshot_20210911-204852-1.jpg
    https://www.besoccer.com/match/flamengo-rio-janeiro/liverpool/19815628/analysis

Platenese being ranked 1500th in the world is something though

'Top 4 Argentine team'

12. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    Yes . Seems like it is valid only for Europeans

13. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Rushing to judgements and probably haven't looked at it for more then 2 minutes

Talk about deeply ingrained preconceived biases:ROFLMAO:

14. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    I am keen to mention not just because it suits me . Also because its facts
    Even doing statistical analysis on points table reveals the same
    Unless they mysteriously did so that it can be used as a source against Carlitos and against modern players

15. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    Here , see this :

When Santos were touring the world and hammering all European giants , they had a ranking of 97th at their peak (even below 1971 LMAO )
    :laugh::D:p

But but...
    Im not sure what is so controversial about Santos(1971) being ranked 97th in the world after having dropped their level quite a bit ...... Oops wait !!

deeply ingrained preconceived biases , HUH ?:thumbsup::thumbsup:

upload_2021-9-12_2-9-49.png

16. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    You need to have the matches in the database something they don't seems to have, neither for Brazilian League, let alone the others.. the only one seems to be the Libertadores (not at Pelé's time tho). But it is a interesting source even if with bad data.

17. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You omit or add key words in every single point you make
    When Santos were touring the world and hammering all Europeans giants in friendlies

This word is key and changes the whole complexion of your argument

We think we know how good/great Santos wouldve fared in a top 5 European league( in competitive matches with real titles on the line)

But we don't know

18. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    #868 Tropeiro, Sep 11, 2021
    Flamengo was possibly stronger than Liverpool, just the lack of database. Probably only rated the Libertadores matches and it is not enough to push Flamengo's rating up to their real level.

Here you have another with Flamengo being the Worlds best team at some point: http://soccerverse.com/teams_and_trainers?team_id=clube-de-regatas-de-flamengo-brazil

19. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Santos would probably bully them imo. Santos wasn't any less than the best Spanish, Italian and Benfica teams who were among the best European ones of 60s.

The point in the question is that they have 0 matches in the database for Santos at that period maybe one or other for Libertadores and that would be the max. That's the problem also with GoalImpact etc, they have only data for recent times where South American football isn't performing well while they have much more complete, historical data for countries like Germany or Netherlands, it has no parity.

carlito86 repped this.
  20. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    We don't know what? You talk like they deliberately lost those games like an absolute conspiracy theorist LOL .
    Imagine going at these lengths for defending something that is clearly obvious and then calling someone else (@Trachta10) autistic in another thread, then accusing someone else of deeply ingrained preconceived biases

Santos in 1963 thrased mighty Europeans champions even with pele missing 2nd leg
    Pele literally molested Benfica in 1962
    Even , outside their peak , Santos beat Inter in intercontinetal supercup 1969

Now i know very typical dishonest response of someone like you.

Penarol beats Benfica 1961
    Penarol thrases Real Madrid 1966
    Racing beats Celtic 1967
    Estudiantes beat Utd 1968

Infact i can go on till 1970s

But apparently they all were accidental . 15 accidents over 25 years infact.

This is when Penarol beat real madrid 1966:

upload_2021-9-12_2-44-54.png

228th ranked team looool

But apparently its deeply ingrained preconceived biases in my case

21. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    Is it just lack of database for only South Americans or for Europeans as well?

I would love to see what justifications is brought before me regarding this

In 1967 this was the state of the elo points right before the Racing vs Celtic game in Europe.

Celtic is placed in 3rd with 1848 points

http://clubelo.com/1967-09-11/All

It is before the game on Nov 1967 incase he start crying again

upload_2021-9-12_2-58-57.png

However , mysteriously in that site , Celtic became 88th team in the world

https://www.besoccer.com/match/racing-club-avellaneda/celtic-fc/19674389/analysis

upload_2021-9-12_2-58-27.png

LMAO

Lincon18762 and Tropeiro repped this.
  22. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #872 carlito86, Sep 11, 2021
    Just more blaaa

You can mention 100 games Pele played vs European club teams

Even the most ' competitive' ones were no more competitive then a copa del rey groupstage fixture between real Madrid and some 2nd tier Spanish team

The brainchild of former UEFA big cheese Henri Delaunay, the World Club Championship was started in 1960 as a two legged, home and away affair, between the winners of the European Cup and the Copa Libertadores.

For some reason, the competition was always seen as much more prestigious by the South American clubs and fans, with the Europeans being much more focused on their domestic leagues and European Cup. Whether or not this explains why the South Americans have the better record in the competition is open to debate, but the competition came in for some right old stick by the European clubs and media. Seen by many as a waste of time, just 2 more games in the season, with no real financial benefit, the competition really started to struggle in the 70's. The 1975 and 1978 competitions weren't even played (the teams couldn't find matching dates in their diaries), and when it was played there was always the whiff of violence in the air (not the terrace violence that was starting to sweep across Europe from groups of Neanderthal fans, but the on-pitch variety from the equally scary South American players against their European counterparts). With some of the European teams worried about risking their best players against this new on-pitch threat, several of them actually declined to play (their places being taken by the runners up in 1971, 73, 74, 77 and 79).
    http://www.midfielddynamo.com/cups/cups_worldclubchamps.htm

South American teams had greater incentives to want to succeed(financial)
    If top tier European players were earning a rather modest living in the 60s then their SA counterparts were barely scraping a pittance

When the livelihood of your family is pretty much on the line you have a much greater incentive to perform then someone who thinks hes just attending a dress rehearsal.

23. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    Well. I don't know how it works exactly. But still I find a interesting media. For example it covers Maradona's matches since his early days, it seems he peaked at the end of 1981 (rating 96) but failed to show it in Europe. For example he played the World Cup in 1982 being rated around 86-88.

It isn't "competitive" because now the Europeans are winning every match, but 15-25 years ago that wasn't the case. Likewise, it is not guaranteed that a European club playing competitively (as if they really weren't) would have won anything more against the top South American clubs (that point alone makes the match more competitive than any unbalanced match of nowadays).

Likewise, Brazilian clubs like Santos often refused to play for Libertadores and some also played with their reserve team. Intercontinental, Libertadores weren't really the priority for them too I guess.

In any case I doubt that some, if not several, if not most, if not all of these matches were at least a bit competitive if not really competitive, especially given the fame that South American players achieved in Europe (there was already news of Pelé all over Europe even before his 1958 World Cup, Maradona was already known around the world before his move to Europe).
    You have to use the right glasses, some of these matches were used by Real Madrid's to hire players of Di Stefano's level out of here, franchise players, Europeans used these matches to test themselves, to play against of some of the best clubs in the world, the stadium was crowded.

Today, South American football is regarded with disdain because it is depleted, drained, even tho it isn't as bad as people think, but before, that was another story.

Legolas10 repped this.
  24. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020

LOOOL dfkm . Excuses after excuses. Really so its like a conspiracy theory
    And it was no more than a copa del rey match
    Why did they play with their full team every time
    Typical excuse of losers . Didn't take it seriously to explain why we lost so many times.

Then what happened in the world cups between 1958 to 1978 ? Why did they lose in most them. I guess they didn't take them seriously too perhaps. Infact they needed to cheat in 1966 to win one .
    Mighty Spanish league which was full of spanish players. Same players who couldn't even do any shit in any world cup from 1962-1970 (didn't even qualify in 1970) and looked like a team from suburbs infront of garrincha

And seriously do you even read that article properly?
    It seemed like you thought Henri Delunay made that statment
    Its written in that crap article without any source or anything
    I can literally make bullshit statements from my head right away
    Your desperation baffles me literally

And btw since you like these stories , there are stories and reports of Real Madrid practicing over a month or something like that before the game against Santos in 1959 , which , by same narrative , proves how important those games were.
    The matches of Santos had more crowds in stadium than even European Cup matches.
    How does that sounds like ?

25. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #875 carlito86, Sep 11, 2021
    Not really

If i was a conspiracy theorist i would've attributed benficas loss to the infamous 'Guttman curse' rather then any sort of major gulf in class between the 2 teams
    https://ghostlyaspectsfolklore.word...a-and-the-curse-of-bela-by-michael-s-collins/

Still im sticking to my guns.
    European clubs literally had no real incentive to perform or even want to perform in any of these circus tours.

SA teams at least from my perception have always suffered from a inferiority complex(probably something psychologically embedded)
    The need to better or at least be considered on par with their European counterparts something that unites both Argentines and Brazilians

"By 'Mongrel Complex' I mean the inferiority in which Brazilians put themselves, voluntarily, in comparison to the rest of the world. Brazilians are the reverse Narcissus, who spit in their own image. Here is the truth: we can't find personal or historical pretexts for self-esteem.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongrel_complex

Its why tropiero and Trachta10 have invested 1000s of hours of research into proving the superiority of SA football