Gm #26: Chicago v LA - 7 September, 7:30 PM CDT [R]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by NotAbbott, Sep 4, 2002.

1. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I took the time to take a quick nap.

2. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had to go slowly for the old guys on our team. But, some of them now qualify for the senior discount at Denny's!

3. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Actually, they were trying to time the moment of silence and singing of God Bless America for when they came out of a commercial break. So, they had to stall a little bit.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Give Blame Where Blame is Due

Watch the Fire players (and Bradley) whine about the referee in this Sun-Times article.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/fire/cst-spt-fire08.html

Pathetic. This is like the kid who got busted for pulling the fire alarm complaining that the police weren't nice. Just shut up, take your medicine, and quit diving like Luis Hernandez, will ya?

And yes, I am a Fire fan. But I wouldn't defend my own brother if he behaved like Kovalenko.

5. Were the baloons in Section 8 shown at all on TV? Just wondering.

6. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. You used a great analogy there.

7. Like the analogy of showing vs. wondering?

8. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, like this:

I really didnt notice any balloons for the record.

9. Cougar Jim

Cougar Jim New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Chicago
    Almost forgot to ask in all the excitement-Hristo got a yellow the other night. Does he miss Saturday v. Columbus with accumulated points?

10. JAMINDST

JAMINDST New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Terre Haute, IN
    The FIRE are just not the FIRE. Last year I made the 200+ mile road trip every home game and never felt disappointed or said I drove all the way for that. When the FIRE rarely lost last year I still felt good about seeing them. Sat. I left like they gave up and just did not have it. Last year I always felt like we would win like we could always come back. The guys just don't have the drive and confidence like last year. I am sure some of is all the injuries, pitch, and the player we put on the pitch are not the same quality as last year. But the last 65 min was just BAD!!

I saw Dema play a lot at Indiana and I just want him to play at least as good as he did there. It is getting bad.

The defense was just bad at the end.

DMB has not done it yet this year. How can people really think he can handle Soccer in Europe?

I know better days are ahead and the FIRE will be back to the very high level we expect them to play at. We are FIRE fan and we will always be there. Hopefully see you all in MLS CUP 2002? I am still holding out hope.

11. Cougar Jim

Cougar Jim New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Chicago
    Another gripe of mine, although I don't think it's all DMB's fault. When the Fire was playing well on Saturday (i.e. the first 30 minutes), DMB was playing forward, and the Fire kept trying to spring him 1 v. 1. Second half, DMB is laying back and we couldn't get anything going on that side. Keep DMB on the attack, stick with what is working!

12. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    On Big Soccer, no one can criticize The Establishment. Someone always says you are whining. It helps protect the system.

13. quarterUltra

quarterUltra Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Stillwater, OK
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither did I. What did you guys do with 'em?

14. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Well, to be fair, didn't everyone start popping them after about five minutes of use?

Later,
    COZ

15. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Just to play devil's advocate, do you think that maybe the Fire sputtered towards the end of this particular match because of the psychological effects of hitting the woodwork so much? At some point, you have to start second-guessing whether even your best shot will go in. I think this happens with Dema much quicker than, say, Ante. As a result, Dema may have been out of the match before he was actually out of the match.

Yeah, this doesn't take into account the trend of giving up late goals, but I still wonder if the team psyche got broken this time out. And I'm not saying that's an excuse, just another post-mortem cause of death.

I'm pretty much sold on the lack of defensive intensity in the midfield as the root cause of our problems.

Later,
    COZ

16. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Armas. It's obvious he is far more important than everyone thought.

If you add up all the injuries, it's astounding. This team has not played together all year. Let's hope Nowak can pull it all together 'cause after all, "he's the captain".

17. NCFire

NCFire Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Chapel Hill
    I'm usually an unapologetic pessimist but in this case I lean the other way. With everything that has afflicted this team this season, its a miracle we're not below DC in the table and playing for pride.

What other team in the league could lose two national team starters for essentially the whole season and still be in the playoff picture let alone be in contention for a division title? All is not perfect but at the same time the sky isn't falling. So we hit 4 posts, at least we created 4 solid chances (better than certain games earlier this year).

We'll back into the playoffs but once we're there, we'll make someone's life hell.

18. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Actually, I think a lot of us already knew how crucial he is to the Fire. Armas is the best defensive midfielder on planet earth.

The Fire was great at generating scoring opportunities on counter attacks. Where do those begin? With a quick touch from a guy like Armas.

The national team was able to alter its style somewhat to compensate for the absence of #14, and they did pretty well in Korea. The Fire hasn't adjusted to this problem, probably because there is no one on the team as good as Mastroeni to replace Armas.

Our attack is based on speed, and speed is most effective with quick transitions. Armas was able to switch the Fire from defense to offense with one touch.

Somewhere someone else commented on all the shots Zach has faced this year and pointed out Armas' role in keeping those opportunities from developing. His offensive role is also sorely missed.

19. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Re: Re: Gm #26: Chicago v LA - 7 September, 7:30 PM CDT [R]

Although, to be fair, his offensive role can be described most succinctly as "pass it to Peter as soon as possible." :)

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Later,
    COZ

20. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Gm #26: Chicago v LA - 7 September, 7:30 PM CDT [R]

And with the National team, it was pass the ball to Claudio as soon as possible.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, either. Simple isn't necessarily a bad thing.

21. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I seem to remember him making some rather accurate long passes to spring some attacking chances as well.

He's the quiet, non-flashy player that you don't neccesarily miss until he's not there.

22. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the Ruiz clip is up. He's offside. Check MLSnet's Hit Parade.

23. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I'm not arguing whether he is or isn't, but based on that clip you can't tell. I would love to agree with you but if you think you can tell from that clip your mistaken.

24. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the tape and I stopped action as of the pass and Ruiz was absolutely not offside.

25. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    That's good enough for me. What happened on the Dema Dive? Just curious. I really thought he at least got clipped but it was opposite end from section 8.