Glimpse of the Future - Academy, U-18, U-21 & Loans News [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Jul 19, 2014.

1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ole has given Greenwood tons of minutes and Chong a decent amount of cup minutes for a first year youth player. And like you said, Williams has gotten minutes as well. The only one you could argue that's ready but hasn't gotten minutes is Gomes.

doubletrouble and Naboomagnoli repped this.
  2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    benni's not seeing straight on this one. Which is fine. Even if Angel wants "assurances" what better assurances can he want than players... MIDFIELDERS who broke through and played their career at the club now in charge of developing talent at the same club saying he's got all the talent in the world and will be a special player. Very clear to me the club wasn't going to give him PT while he was refusing to sign a contract. He did this to himself.

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely different argument and one far more plausible than the claims that Gomes's playing time has been practically non existent (compared to Mase or Williams) because he's not good enough/not as good as he was made out to be, his lack of size etc...
    Gomes arguably was the youngster who had the toughest road for any chance for PT with the likes of AP, Mata and Lingard alone in front of him (and that's just counting backup/squad guys).
    Of the 3, only AP, for a brief time earlier in the season, showed some type of form (which he appeared to lose unfortunately as the season went along). Mata can no longer be counted upon to deliver consistently and Lingard, who I'm a fan of, is just continuing on the nightmarish run he's been on for over a year now.
    Even in a backup capacity, Gomes really should have figured more.
    He wasn't/couldn't be sent on loan this season, he hardly figured with the U23s (and excelled/was on cruise control when he did play with them) mainly because he was on the periphery of the first team. He trained with them, was picked for provisional/travelling squads but rarely made the 18 in the end.
    For all intents and purposes, this really has been a lost season for him, one where he hardly played in actual games at any level. Surely that must have been a source of frustration for him.
    If the reason for that was his refusal to sign the contract that had been submitted to him for a while, then so be it. Although, in my estimation, throwing him a bone and selecting him once in a while for matchday squads might have helped nudge him towards putting to paper as well.
    From the outside looking in (and not privy with all the facts) this looks like a bizarre situation, where something does not add up (maybe we'll get to the bottom of it at some pt. But as far as I'm concerned and as I mentioned before, I hope the club will learn from this, so we don't see it happening again down the line with other big time talents coming up.
    Not saying that the club has to bow to those youngsters every demands of course, but there is still room to improvement, which hopefully will be facilitated by Butt's current role.

jnielsen and doubletrouble repped this.
  4. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Gomes has been the victim of playing in some of our poorest squads also

5. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    We are awful when it comes to this tbh. All the bragging we do about youth we surely mess up a lot with the really skilled ones.

6. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    We were never, ever going to loan a youth player on his final year. That is not something you do with someone you want to keep. That's basic stuff.

We didn't play him partly because he was playing hardball over his contract / standing in the team. And, when he did play, he looked tidy but not like somebody who would make a big difference to the team in the short or medium term. He didn't look like he merited Greenwood levels of minutes.

We can say that we've messed up with a lot of skilled players but the only real talents I can think of who have left our academy that we've regretted are Pogba and Gerard Pique.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At any rate it's over, with Gomes apparently having said his goodbyes. This is nothing fatal obviously, and the club will move on. Lots of quality talent at the Academy at the moment: just have to make sure they are nurtured properly, as to give the very best ones a real chance at making it with the first team.
    Best of luck to him though in his future endeavors...

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/30/angel-gomes-manchester-united-contract-transfer-12920682/

8. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
  9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    tidy or excellent? there is a big difference between the two

10. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Yes there is a big difference between the two.

So, tidy.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Another academy product who can reasonably look towards a good future provided he land at the right club. He will no doubt have a few clubs interested. Just need to examine them carefully, so he can find the best fit for him.

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My guess is that we'll try to get Ethan some minutes or exposure (just being on the bench is a big deal) in hopes of getting him a loan next season. The only other reason for the promotion is if we're thinking of moving Dalot on. Good problem to have (lots of talented young RBs) but we do need to thin the herd a little.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to completely rule out a departure for Dalot next season (not sure that Ole fancies him all that much). But I'd sooner keep him around for another season at least, so Laird can go out on loan next season (along with Garner, Levitt and Chong).
    AWB is so good and has the position on lock that Laird would be left with scraps in terms of playing time and that's the last thing he needs right now.
    I like Dalot's versatility also and if he can manage to remain injury free, then hopefully he can find his stride as a valuable squaddie for us.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One would think it to be standard procedure for any loanee, anywhere... That being said, it's really important for United to consider such factors when trying to decide where to send our players on loan, in order to give them the best odds of success.
    Would imagine that Butt would be a big part of that process (along with the first team coaches and Neil Wood).

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    From that athletic article QPR, Sheffield Wednesday and Blackpool were interested in January.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2819 Ashur, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Being in League One, Blackpool should be out of the running (want our guys to test themselves vs quality opposition, on top of chances at regular playing time). Don't know anything about QPR or Sheffield Wed unfortunately. Their league position is not even a concern, so much as their philosophy and style of play.
    Just hope that our coaching staff do right by those kids, by putting them in optimal situations in regards of their development. Accept and understand there is only so much they can control and can't anticipate certain situations (like change of manager as one example) but would like to see us do better in that regard. Seems to have been way too hit or miss for our players sent out on loan stints.

Deadtigers repped this.
  20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    With this in mind, why don't we look at foreign leagues or are we afraid that doesnt assure adaptation to the english game.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the right fit/option comes along and if the coaching staff feel they're up to it, then why not? The Championship is surely a more less riskier proposition, with the right club still providing what they need in terms of transitioning from playing against kids to against men.
    But would assume that going abroad is not off the table. It's just that not necessarily for everyone.

22. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Tunzabe and Villa a couple of years ago was a really good fit. I imagine we need to find more of those.

23. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Another repost from elsewhere. Not much new if you're up to date on the youngsters but still a good summary of our 5 main young talents in the academy, for @SyedZada and any others.

Futbol_Head and SyedZada repped this.
  24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm particularly interested in Laird and Hannibal. I think Laird would be good backup/competition to AWB in a couple years as I dont think Dalot is going to make it here. And Hannibal is probably the most talented with the highest ceiling of all our youth players.

25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm hoping Laird, Garner, Mengi and Levitt get 90 minutes against Lask, given we have a 5 goal lead on aggregate. It would be nice if we fielded a team full of academy players with maybe one or two seniors sprinkled in.

I'm glad we've found consistency and have an established XI, but a part of me wants minutes for the kids. The FA Cup is one of 2 trophies we can win this season so I don't expect too much rotation there, especially now that we're down to brass tacks.

The Europa League and garbage time in the league are really the only opportunities for player development. Hopefully we can get some minutes for them. Even if it only serves to put them in the shop window, that will help with loans.