Glenn Davis

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by FlashMan, Sep 26, 2003.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy did the play by play for ESPN2 last night in the DC v. Metro game. I know I've heard him before but don't remember when or where.

Anyway, thought he was terrific. Knew the game, knew MLS, kept the flow of the game, kept the banal banter to a complete minimum. Smart cookie. Makes Stoner look like the fraternity boy he is. He even made Ty look better by being such a professional.

Is Davis the guy who does HDNET week in and week out? If so, I'm jealous of those of you who get to listen to him (unless, of course, this was a particularly good night, and otherwise he sux ;) ).

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Davis did PBP for the WC last year, and worked MLS broadcasts during the WC. I think he also covers college soccer for ESPN.

I think he's a good fill-in. I imagine he'll be there next week.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he's the regular PxP guy for HDnet's MLS coverage. Before that, he was the color commentator on the Burn's local broadcasts and he also did a few other teams' local broadcasts from time to time. And you'll find him from time to time doing the English commentary on some of the various PPV games. Basically, as I understand it, being a soccer announcer in the US doesn't pay all that great, so you gotta do a ton of games to make any sort of money at it. He also is a coach with one of the youth teams in Houston.

I wasn't too familiar with his play-by-play work, since most of what I had seen from him previously was his color commentary on Burn broadcasts, and someone told me once that he's a good color guy but an even better play-by-play man. And having seen him on a couple of HDnet broadcast, and on last night's ESPN2 telecast, I'd have to agree. He's quite a good announcer, quite professional, lets the game speak for itself, and knows the league and the players.

4. Warren Van Orden

Feb 29, 2000
    Richmond CA
    Glenn hosts a weekly radio soccer talk show over KPFT in Houston Texas, a good one, you can hear it over the internet.

Go to http://socceraudio.com/USA.htm#kpft for links (etc).

5. BigSoccer Radio

BigSoccer Radio New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Everywhere USA
    Great Show

Glenn has a great show.

If you have a chance check it out!

6. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo