GK scores a goal. Which teams are these?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by bright, Jul 22, 2005.

1. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out this video: http://movies.collegehumor.com/items/2005/07/collegehumor.1596540.wmv

It looks like the team that is scored upon is France. The signboards are in English, so it must have taken place in an English-speaking country.

Can anyone figure out which teams these are? And also who the GK is who scored that goal? And when this match took place? Just curious.

My first thought was that it was Pat Jennings, because I had heard of him scoring a goal off a long punt. But in my research, I found that he scored his goal for Spurs against Man U in a Charity Shield match. This doesn't look like Spurs and Man U.

- Paul

2. jambon-beurre

jambon-beurre Member

Mar 12, 2005
    France
    First I think the team in blue have an Umbro kit, and France has always played with Adidas kits.
    Moreover, the colors of the team which scores are weird enough to make me think it's a club team. So I don't think it's an international match and I don't imagine a match between France and a british club.
    -> So I would rather say it's Portsmouth (same colours as France and british club). :cool:

3. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    It's in Northern Ireland judging by the ad's around the pitch. For a guess I'd say the team in blue were Linfield and from the cut of the shorts it was about 1990. The team in green would probably be Glentoran.

4. Paddy31

Paddy31 Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Pukekohe, NZ
    My guess is Linfield in the blue playing Glentoran in the red and green.

Big shout here for Ray Cashley who scored for Bristol City on September 18th, 1973. City beat Hull 3-1 at a wet and windswept Ashton Gate when City's goalkeeper, Ray Cashley, scored with a freak clearance from 98 yards.

Goalscoring Goalies

5. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Looks like Andy Paterson then. Hey, only one year out on my guess,ganxta!!!!!

6. Paddy31

Paddy31 Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Pukekohe, NZ
    Andy Paterson it is.

Damn fine fashion/shorts/year thing you did there. Quite a skill, but probably not one you get to use often:)

The match is Glentoran vs. Linfield in 1989, in the Northern Irish League.

7. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Props to the trainspotters! I love this kind of stuff. :)

- Paul

8. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  9. ossieend

ossieend New Member