GK Backpass question

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Greywacke, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Greywacke

Greywacke New Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Huntington Beach
    This situation came up in my adult league game week, and I'm wondering what the ruling would be.

GK comes out to stop a breakaway. GK stops intial shot, ball rebounds high into the air behind the GK, towards the goal. A defender (on GK's team) has come in behind GK (between him and the goal) and is able to to settle the high ball. Would for the GK be permitted to "handle" a foot pass from this defender if the ball was played forward to the GK? Or is any intentional pass with feet to one's own GK not allowed to be "handled" by the GK? My understanding of this rule is that the GK is prohibiting from handling any pass intentionally kicked backwards by a teammate, but I'm wondering how my situation fits into this.

Thanks in advance for any clarification

2. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    Although commonly referred to as the "passback rule," it is a bit of a misnombre. The Law reads as follows:
    Typically this would be a backward pass, but it can indeed be forward as well.

3. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Last spring I was coaching a rec women's team. Defender does her job and covers the back post. The opposing team shoots at the back post and she saves a goal using her foot to block the shot. The ball comes back out into the area and our keeper scoops it up.

Ref called an indirect, but it certainly wasn't a deliberate pass. I was compelled to instruct the referee regarding the laws of the game, but I restrained myself until after. The IFK wasn't converted anyway. (good defenders!)

4. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than bringing in the yellow and red cards, the backpass rule was the best idea of the last 50 years, IMO.

5. RushOnze

RushOnze New Member

May 16, 2001
    Colorado
    I absolutely agree...remember the continual passing back to the keeper to protect a lead...boring!

6. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen numerous plays were a defender settles the ball for the keeper and then the keeper handles the ball.
    In ALL of these situations the ref awarded an IFK going in. I guess FIFA considers trapping the ball for your keeper as a "back pass"

Don't shoot the messenger!!

7. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only a pass with the foot results in an IFK. Traps with the thigh, chest, head, etc. should not be penalized.

8. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are absolutely correct.
    I should have differentiated them.

THX

9. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Although an attempt to subvert the spirit of the rule by using your head to pass the ball is not permitted. (I.e., you can't lie on ground and "head" the ball to your keeper in an attempt to avoid the IFK rule.)

10. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This only applies to someone playing it up to their head or chest once the ball has been at their feet (i.e., flicking it up and heading it).

They most certainly can dive to head a ball -- seen it done at some pretty high levels on a ball that didn't bounce as much as the defender expected and they wind up diving to head it back to their keeper for him to pick up.

11. Greyhnd00

Greyhnd00 New Member

Jan 17, 2000
    Rediculously far nor
    it doesnt have to be a deliberate PASS.......just deliberately PLAYED by a defender to an area the goal keeper can be expected to play it. I hope the reff instructed you!

12. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I don't think that blocking a shot with your foot counts as deliberately playing the ball to an area.

13. AvidSinger

AvidSinger New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    Massachusetts
    But it must be deliberately payed with the intent of the GK getting it. If somebody is blocking a shot, there is no way you could claim that it was deliberately played to the goalkeeper.

Remember, the spirit of the law is to prevent time wasting. When the ball is popping all over the penalty area, I'll always give benefit of the doubt to the GK.

14. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching Fever Pitch again the other night and in the final match, when the Arsenal defender kicks the ball along the end line to his keeper's hands I again had that momentary "wait a second" feeling. It's a tribute to the rule, I think, that although it hasn't been around all that long, it makes so much sense that you've almost forgotten it was ever different.

15. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Re: Re: GK Backpass question

Defender A passes the ball to defender B in the penalty area. The goalie moves forward and picks the ball up. Backpass?

16. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO No.
    But he better not ever do it again in the same or subsequent games.

17. steever

steever Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    IMO, yes, if Defender A deliberately played the ball with his foot. IFK to the attacking team.

18. Greyhnd00

Greyhnd00 New Member

Jan 17, 2000
    Rediculously far nor
    Re: Re: GK Backpass question

Wrong. We do not judge intent. Referees are supposed to call what they see not what they think a player is thinking. Read the ATR and show me where it says that the defender must have MEANT for it to be pickedup, then tell me how you will know what he meant?.......telepethy?

19. Greyhnd00

Greyhnd00 New Member

Jan 17, 2000
    Rediculously far nor
    Re: Re: Re: GK Backpass question

Yes..........refereeing 101........failure to read the ATR above is what leads to frustration and the lack of consistancy above.

20. Mainer5

Mainer5 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Topsham, Maine
    Just a side bar on this,

When this rule was first implemented, it was tough teaching players to not do what they have always done, pass back to the keeper.

In a game between the WNT A and B sides in NH, the ball on a corner came into the box and Michelle Akers (playing def) half volleyed a back pass to the goalie Herman, Herman to her credit, traps the ball on her chest and drops it to her feet where she clears it out of danger. Akers reaction was priceless.....

It was interesting seeing players adjust to the rule.

It certainly made the game more exciting, especially after watching Italia 90 where the backpass was used constantly to relieve pressure by the def. It was a great change.

21. whipple

whipple New Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Re: Re: Re: GK Backpass question

Grey,

Note that the language, while not requiring mind reading, does imply that the referee must be pretty certain that the ball was played by the foot deliberately to the keeper or an area where the keeper could legally pick it up. If there is any doubt, then no offense. This is soccer not gotchaball. We should officiate with the least interference.

Sherman

22. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Ahh, the never-ending question. It all hinges on whether "deliberately kicked to him" is one condition or two. But I will agree with Sherman, this is not meant to be a "Gotcha!" call.

23. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Re: Re: Re: Re: GK Backpass question

Actually, I'm not a referee, I'm just tryin to sharpen my understanding of the rule (so I look more intelligent when I shout at the ref on my tv...)

24. Tame Lion

Tame Lion New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Southern California
    How would you handle this one? Defender A kicks the ball toward Defender B, who is not close to the GK. The ball will pass near the GK. As the ball is struck, an attacker runs to intercept the pass to Defender B. The GK, seeing a likely intercept, dives on the ball (handles it) just ahead of the attacker.

The referee believes that the ball has been deliberately kicked through a place where the GK could handle it to somewhere else. No infringement?

25. Greyhnd00

Greyhnd00 New Member

Jan 17, 2000
    Rediculously far nor
    Read your own post (and the ATR):
    "The requirement that the ball be "kicked to" the goalkeeper means only that the play is to or toward a place where the keeper can legally handle the ball. "

How much more clear can this be. You DELIBERATLY kick it to a spot where the keeper can handle it....and he handles it.....IFK....period. No mindreading...No "better have meant for the keeper to pick it up." Nothing that says you just ignore the foul because the all if a tough one and might effect play because the keeper was stupid.

It isnt gotcha to call the game as we are clearly prescribed to in the LOTG and the ATR. It is LAZY to NOT call it and it makes trouble for those of us who do bother to read the laws and call the game. The players have no qualm if they know what to expect.