NSR: Give me your rested, your rich, privileged White Colombians yearning to post in soccer forums...

Discussion in 'Colombia' started by dapip, Oct 18, 2018.

?

My parents/grandparents/great great great grandparents arrived:

1. They were here when Columbus got lost and hit America

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. They arrived in the Mayflower

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. They came shackled and got to work in plantations at the sound of a whip

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. They arrived through Ellis Island between 1830 and 1950

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. They came here as a result of _______________ crisis

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  6. I'm the first one to move here from my country.

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #3026 dapip, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    crzdcolombian repped this.
  3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

4. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This fool is a freaking disgrace to my alma mater...

dapip repped this.
  5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1293953504764203011 is not a valid tweet id

dapip repped this.
  6. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

8. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    what does this information do exactly or is for. Again everything posted here is like

Batman is better than Superman or Dc is better than Marvel

Xbox is better than PS4

or you talk to a 6 year old nope The switch is the best because it has Mario.

this is one side just dumping all the information from I’m right.com or agrees with my wordview.com

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    TBH, this whole administration has highly devalued the reputation of an Ivy League education and brain surgeons. It's unbelievable how many fvcking stupid people has a diploma from Yale, Harvard or Wharton...

sidspaceman repped this.
  10. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I know a ton of people who have gone to both. Most of it are brilliant people who killed themselves to get there and sadly a lot of times kill themselves while there because of the pressure. My wife went to MIT. But the big 3 schools basically are mostly made up of legacy students or people who “donated”.

trump if he wasn’t rich wouldn’t have gone and the standards then must have been lower. Way less Asian kids who were never allowed to go outside around when he was in school

11. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #3036 ryu79, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Its certainty highlighted the extent to which money influences admissions. For undergrad in particular, it's hard to get in when you aren't legacy or have major donations going in.

Also - and this is important - relevant experience matters too. As much as Kushner is a disaster, his life experience irrespective of his degree or alma mater had zero relevance for the responsibilities he's been given. Same for Ivanka and others in the admin who are there based on nepotism or because they've gone on Fox news and advertised themselves as ready to do Trump's bidding.

I'm super psyched to have Kamala representing HBCU in this election though and think her presence in White House could do a lot to raise awareness of the calibre of education there.

sidspaceman and dapip repped this.
  12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

sidspaceman repped this.
  13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #3038 dapip, Aug 14, 2020
    I’ve been listening to the gangster capitalism podcast and that’s one of the topics they touch, tangential to the college admissions scandal. One of the key arguments is that the college admissions backdoor (legacy, donations) helped pave the way for rich people to find other ways to rig the system. It also shows how non-profits are a burden on society, despite its apparently philanthropic nature.

On a related note, the NRA downfall series is also interesting and, the NRA is a non-profit entity that hurts the country while benefiting just a few.

14. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #3039 ryu79, Aug 14, 2020
    I can also say that by the time I attended Wharton (and this was a long time ago now!), ALL MBA apps were evaluated by at least three 2nd yr students (with the direct aim of achieving fairness), and that was before even getting an interview. I was on the adcom and a huge point of emphasis was not just where did you go to school - but what you accomplished there, not just your grades but whether you challenged yourself, and if your track record post graduation indicated progression. We were specifically trying to weed out people who coasted based on connections or that were trying to come to the program to acquire them rather than learn and contribute (why do you actually need this degree? Was a key question we needed to see answered). Of course this wasn't perfect, and yes, we had royalty and shieks and people wearing Nantucket red pants, but it was genuinely competitive. I think for undergrad this is a lot tougher and legacy is even harder to weed out because of the prep school world... Which itself is highly legacy based.

By the same token, there are great non profits doing fantastic work. And sadly, crime syndicates like the NRA fronting as them too... In recent years there is more transparency on % of money going to overheads at these orgs though and more scrutiny which is a good thing agree we need to see more oversight.

sidspaceman repped this.
  15. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Encouraging... But I remember being so confident four August's ago...

16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1294427812670124033 is not a valid tweet id

sidspaceman repped this.
  17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The fact that so many places are held for rich people based on connections and donations is a travesty. But it’s also because so many people wants to attend the same few schools, that aren’t necessarily the best or the most adequate for each individual candidate. But I agree with you that the process for those spaces reserved for competitiveness are properly vetted.

The point is that instead of paying taxes and allowing technocrats to decide where resources are needed, plenty of our society’s resources (IIRC 3 trillion per year) are funneled to charities of various qualities that waste plenty of money on CEOs salaries, fundraising, legal fees, gifts, etc, that at the end do not accomplish what they’re supposed to in a big majority of cases. IOW, we allow rich people to feel good about themselves for donating a million here and there to causes of varying importance, while skipping billions in their tax bill and at the same time influencing public policy.

And off course you have crime organizations using the tax code, like the NRA or the Trump foundation.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/06/against-philanthropy/563834/

18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  19. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  20. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This is true and gross. That said, it's pretty easy these days to find out how much money non profits actually put toward their purpose vs. their pockets. For example, the red cross is notorious, while direct relief scores well for low overheads and high efficiency of donations.

I think their is a role for non profits that are well run and I hope the movement to transparency will lead to survival of the honest here...but of course, we've got a long way to go and it doesn't help when the President literally had his own non profit dissolved due to fraudulent use of funds...

21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If we had a strong social network with some vacuums to be filled, specially at the local level, or where private sector expertise was required, I would agree with you.

Unfortunately we have a crippled social network and “charities” taking advantage of the tax code, with an unknown portion actually making good on their purported goals. There was a piece a few years back on how the Susan G Komen foundation sued a school or the Girl Scouts for using their “race for the cure” slogan...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/komen-foundation-charities-cure_n_793176

And also this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/busines...to-charity-or-lining-someones-pockets/393725/

22. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hopefully something comes of this...

23. crzdcolombian