Giovinco

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by TOFC/ARSENAL, Jan 18, 2015.

1. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    and in other countries, it is not even newsworthy...this is how the BBC reported on the Italian squad selection:

2. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Have no idea....but TFC have, what, 7 matches scheduled during what would have been Gio's Euro adventure.

3. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    I just hope he doesn't sulk over it.

4. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    What a farce that Eder, a Brazilian, makes the cut but not Giovinco. Is there a team other than the NT that would prefer Eder over Giovinco? Conte should just leave already.

5. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Too bad Gio's already capped for Italy. Could've gotten him Canadian citizenship and have him play for Canada!

OK, I doubt it's that easy, but was nice to ponder...

RobinVanRobben repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The 1986 Canadian World Cup squad had like 10 naturalized Canadian citizens.

7. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i count 7....most of which were people born somewhere else but who had emigrated to Canada as kids and played here and learned the game here....quite different than a Givovinco would be.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not all of them were that young. Regardless these guys were all born outside of Canada. Lettieri, Gerry Gray , Vrablic , Valentine, Segota, Sven Habermann, Colin Miller, David Norman, Paul James, Randy Samuel. Bob Lenarduzzi's was born in Vancouver I believe but his brother Silvano or Sam born in Italy.

9. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My point was more like TOAreaFan said. FIFA rules are more stringent than just being a citizen. If I understand them correctly, a player must have spent a certain number of development years in a country if not born there.

10. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    which is probably why i did not say "all of them" ;)

And it is hard for a professional athlete to get citizenship......playing for a Canadian club for 3 years does not count as 3 years residency.

Matt Bonner played a couple of seasons for the Raptors...even married a Canadian girl (IIRC) and 7 years after applying for citizenship he still awaits approval.

11. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    True, but if you tell the minister of Immigration "This guy will make a huge enough difference to our national team that your party will secure a considerable advantage in important swing ridings", it could be cause for an expediting of his application.

No matter anyway, Gio a capped for Italy so it's all a moot point.

12. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Can we recruit baby Giovinco to play for Canada? I think he's three years old or so. That gives us some time to work with to get those citizenship papers in order. If he turns out to be half as good as his dad, it's worth pursuing.

RobinVanRobben and Polygong repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Éder was good at Sampdoria but just one in the crowd at Inter. If you are going by current form, Giovinco would easily win over Éder.

14. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    And that's saying a lot. Giovinco's been off recently.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its sad that Conte won't even bring Seba in for a look. This level of the league crap is so overrated its not even funny. You can either play the game or you can't.

16. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It could also be a factor that the European leagues are off season now while MLS is in full swing.

17. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You never know, but it's possible that Gio spends the rest of his career here and then upon retirement decides that he likes it here and his son grows up in Canada. He just can't get good enough that Italy comes chasing after him.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Many Italians in today's Italy would rather leave the country rather than stay there. When I lived there only a decade ago, most people I spoke to would relish an opportunity to live in North America. Maybe not the extremely wealthy ones but most everyone else. Most soccer players and athletes are done playing before their 35th and sometimes even 30th BD therefore, they are still young and have a lot of life ahead. Staying in Italy, with the economy the way it is, isn't always the greatest thing. Maldini and Nesta are in Miami starting up because they see incredible potential for growth. They couldn't really do what they are doing by staying in Italy.

19. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    So kind of like his brother Giuseppe Giovinco.

20. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Fixed your post.

Deleted User x repped this.
  21. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just wondering.....how many consecutive free kicks from scoring positions have to go "wasted" before we even consider something other than a Giovinco shot? I think trying something else might surprise the opposition.

Case in point the final one last night ....did anyone even think for a minute that the lined up left footed Cheryou was an option? Certainly not the VCR defense and the wall stayed where it was and let the shot bounce off it.

Love Seba (nearly) as much as most TFC fans....but this is not working on set pieces at the moment...and we should mix it up a bit.

whitbytfcfan and crazypete13 repped this.
  22. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Seems like he's been really pressing lately. When he gets the ball and takes on the defence, I feel all the time that he's going to shoot, regardless of whom is in a better offensive position. I wonder if that continues against Seattle.

23. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Giovinco is now the all-time goal scoring leader for TFC.

[​IMG]

RobinVanRobben, falvo and crazypete13 repped this.
  24. scarborotfcfan

May 26, 2008
    That explains the long gap between goals. Must have been all that pressure from realizing his name would be on top of all of those illustrious names in TFC's proud history. :rolleyes:

25. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    crazypete13 repped this.