Giovanni “Gio” Reyna national team discussion (from YA)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by gogorath, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    There was

2. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    Yep. There was so much to bitch about back then. I was thinking if Ian Harks could make some major improvements we could have a Harks and Reyna midlfield again.

3. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    what I remember most was receiving a PM from Donovan’s father during the olympics, offering to tell me dirts about Conor Casey n Clive Charles. Should have accepted the offer!!

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  4. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there... but because I'm so old I can't remember. :p

russ repped this.
  5. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Lots of people didn't like Claudio, but we didn't have so many pretty young things making people call for his removal.

Bob Morocco repped this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Worse. There were threads about replacing him with Manny Lagos.

russ, USOutlaw16, gunnerfan7 and 4 others repped this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    #432 Ghost, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    With Claudio, it was more that some people thought we should move him to right back. He played there at times early in his club career. The thinking was that we could plug a hole with Claudio at right back and/or John O'Brien at left back, because we had young midfielders playing well in MLS who could make the jump, which was somewhat true (Mathis, Mastroeni) and somewhat not true (Lagos).

People both underrated MLS but also naively overrated MLS, in terms of ability to produce international players. If anything, there was even more of a "We are not integrating Hispanics!" thing going on back then. Clearly, there is a little bit of truth to this, both past and present. But people were more fanatic about it back then. There were (outlier) posters who would say there were better players in Sunday leagues in the barrio than on our national team.

Hence Manny Lagos, who had about two caps, IIRC.

8. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Little did anyone know that the 2002 team was the best US World Cup team to come before or after for another 18 years.

russ, nobody and Lloyd Heilbrunn repped this.
  9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No, but the future USMNT General Manager was called different names and the nicest of them was McFragile. And generally speaking those who are bitching about tough crowd here now never met Michael Lasort and friends.

russ repped this.
  10. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Hope Harks embraces left back.

11. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you might be thinking of the other Mike, Seagroves!

dlokteff, deejay, butters59 and 2 others repped this.
  12. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Gio got some more burn vs. Freiburg over the weekend and again, he looked like a solid contributor. He and Haaland are beginning to form an understanding, which bodes very well for Gio. For instance, on one play Gio receives the ball on the left, about 35 yards from his own goal as his teammates look to push the ball out of danger. Gio takes a quick look upfield and flings a direct ball 50 yards that puts Haaland in a great position to receive the ball and take on defenders at goal. Haaland just about creates a chance out of it.

Strikers are going to love Gio...he already knows how to get them the ball.

13. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the longest standing problems on the USMNT.

14. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well why the hell didn't you???

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He has a nice middle/long range air ball. Lotsa tools in Gio's tool belt. Looks like an old fashioned 10.

16. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Reminds me a bit of Riquelme. No joke.

It may be inevitable that he moves centrally and a little deeper.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Old fashioned 10's were wild cards who played everywhere. He could fit that role, moving around to maximize the team synergy.

18. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I did not want to have anything to do with that character, and I would not believe in anything that he had to say.

19. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Yes, and having guys like Adams and McKennie to clean up around him and contribute power, speed, and total skill packages would be fantastic.

People should focus on 2026 as the year that the US could really make some noise in the world cup. Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, Adams, McKennie, Dest, Steffen, etc, will all be in their primes and looking to do some damage at home (knock on wood).

20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Claudio was injury prone. He was also overrated.

onefineesq repped this.
  21. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    It was when Claudio was absent (due to injury) that many fans realized how good he was and how the team missed him. He was great at playing the ball away from pressure, thus allowing the team to maintain possession. Hardly over-rated.

22. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Also great at unlocking space with smart passes.

nobody repped this.
  23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was great at the sideways pass or diagonal ball. But watch a Claudio Reyna highlights video and you will be left wanting. He's not a bad player; just overrated by US fans. He's not in the top tier of all time US players like Donovan, Clint, Howard, or Friedel. Hell, I'd take peak Cobi Jones, Tab Ramos, or Brian Mcbride before Reyna quickly.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Reyna pere was a great US player. When fully healthy, he was a top club player on one the old opta charts. And with the US, he made the WC'02 team of the tournament. He was possession hub, though. His main job wasn't to score goals and assists.

NietzscheIsDead, deejay and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana