Gilberto Silva

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mario, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Gilberto Silva Signs For Arsenal

Arsenal look to have signed World Cup winning midfielder Gilberto Silva for a reported £6m.

The Brazilian's agent has revealed that he is just finalising a contract with the Premiership and FA Cup winners.

Atletico Mineiro announced earlier this week that they were looking to offload Silva and president Alexandre Kalil set off to try and arrange a deal.

Silva's agent Paul Vilhena said: "Gilberto is happy with the prospect of playing in England, he just needs to tie up a few things with the contract."

A spokesman for Mineiro added: "We're expecting Gilberto's transfer to be completed swiftly."

2. bolas

bolas New Member

Mar 1, 2002
    IN THE CARIBBEAN
    Re: Gilberto Silva Signs For Arsenal

ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT MR.WENGER HAD HIS EYES OPEN AT THE WORLD CUP. GOOD , NO GREAT MOVE!!

3. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    I'd heard the courts in Brasil halted the transfer since Atletico Mineiro still owed money to some players union or something. Which of course is stupid because with that money they could actually help pay for anything they owe....

4. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gilberto Silva and Atletico Madrid in talks

Madrid could be his next home:

http://br.esportes.yahoo.com/040318/4/iw03.html

5. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Why would he even contemplate such a move?

6. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, check out the Edu thread - I guess he has the impression he'd be a regular started at Madrid, whereas at Arsenal he's a squad player who's often behind Edu or Vieira on the coach's (and fan's) order of preference.

7. Ronaldo+10

Ronaldo+10 New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I think this would actually be a great move, la liga is alot more similar to brazil then Epl. And as ombak said, he's clearly not appreciated at arsenal.

8. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Gilberto has actually started twice as many games for Arsenal as Edu, in the Premiership. Edu got in a lot of Carling/FA cup matches because he rode the bench and didn't need the rest, but Gilberto's been consistently in the starting XI for Arsene Wenger, even if he's on the right side more often now.