Gilberto out for rest of season

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Arsenal_pwns_all, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=316880&cc=4716

This is really, really bad news. I have never been a big fan of Gilberto, but now that he is missing we can see his value. Without him and his defensive interceptions, we have very poor defensely, particularly against set pieces. I guess he is the type of player you don't miss until you don't have him.
    What do you guys think? As one of you guys have said, these kind of back injury are often carrer-ending and we might never ever see him playing again. Now, our central midfielder is horribly thin and any more injury could potentially derail our entire season, if it hasn't been derailed bad enough.

2. bergkamp10

bergkamp10 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    You are talking as if we have already lost all competitions. Please tell me what has been derailed? We are 2 points behind Chelsea and stand a very good chance of advancing to the next phase of the Champions League. It's far from being over.

Gilberto is not out for the rest of the season. The keyword was "potentially."
    Cesc has played very well, thus far. We are all aware of what Edu can do (good and bad). Finally, whilst we have seen very little of Flamini, I am confident that he his adept to fill the defensive midfield role. We have a good crop of players.

3. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang. We were fairly lucky last year with injuries and now this year they are beginning to creep up a bit. Losing Gilberto for the season would be serious despite the emergence of Cesc. Cesc is going to need rest sometime and Edu has been poor at best this season. Flamini's prowess at DM remains to be seen. Anyway, lets hope that Gilberto recovers for the second half of the season and certainly for the continuation of his career.

4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    @#*%^&*#@#$%^#%

I've been fearing the worst. But as someone who's long been a fan of Mr Silva, it is good to see him getting some respect, at last.

5. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    While Gilberto's not among my favourite players, I wouldn't wish a bad back injury on anyone (OK, maybe Wiltord ;)). It's time for the real Patrick Vieira to step forward. With Edu not hitting form yet and two young guys filling in in the centre midfield the skipper needs to step it up big time. We know he can do it, it's time to show his leadership qualities.

6. Goldy

Goldy New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    New Jersey
    I have always noted that he holds the shape of the team, i.e. players look to him to determine where they are or should be.

that is his biggest attribute.

7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree. We're not winning anything with Paddy in his current form.

8. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello January window!!!

9. W26 D12 L0

W26 D12 L0 New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Miami
    I hope he gets better quickly. With Edu out for a few weeks and potentially thinking of leaning, Cesc needing rest and Flamini injured (and PV4 playing like crap), I don't see us retaining the premiership based on chelski's form.

Maybe the new signing from the Ivory Coast can help out either by slotting straight into midfild or replacing toure at the back with toure moving to midfield.

Someone posted this might be the case (injury to gilberto) a couple of days ago...how did he know?

10. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to say that i predicted this, and now i'm sorry that i was right. We need another CM pronto, Scott Parker maybe?

11. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Clint Mathis can play in the midfield, right?

12. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am assuming that you're kidding but apparently Van Bommel is looking for a move, Van Bommel to Spurs? BBC i think Wenger was looking at him a few years ago, his contract is up in the summer and Jan. could be the time for a cut price move.