Gil Vicente vs SL Benfica [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Hurley

Hurley New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Porto
    1. I need to see more of Dos Santos before deciding whos the better player. He seems to me like a poor man Roberto Carlos.
    2. Amoreirinha is not exactly a RB. He gets the job done in the center.

2. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I haven't seen the game on TV yet, but I listened to it on the radio. From what I heard, it seemed that Benfica attacked more and were more dangerous but couldn't seem to score. Anyways, Benfica gave it their all to the very end and it paid off with 1 point. 1-1 is a disappointing result for Benfica, but seeing as they were 30 seconds away from loosing, it's acceptable.

3. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Benfica is in first place. As far as I'm concerned, Trappatoni has done a very good job.

4. Hurley

Hurley New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Porto
    Gil Vicente outplayed Benfica today, they deserved the victory.

5. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Too bad Gil Vicente didn't play like that on Wednesday, maybe they would of still been in the Taca da Portugal. Gil Vicente were motivated today (with reason since they were playing Benfica in front of a packed house) but next week they will probably lose 3-0 or 4-0. If these small teams played against teams on their level the way they play against the big 3 they would be much more competitive.

6. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    i think u didn't see the same game as me, tie was totally deserved

7. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    1 dos santos was french u21 capped, and was called to some WC, but he picked an injury, so he didn't go, was marseille captain, played very good in all matches this season for benfica
    2 he played all last season as RB in Alverca..

8. Hurley

Hurley New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Porto
    So what?

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I'm watching the game on rtp international, starter a few minutes ago

10. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    do u want to compare Greece with France?

11. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think Gil deserved the win, Benfica was lucky to escape this one with a tie.

I think you may watched the game through "Red" colored glasses.:D

12. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    that's why Paulo Jorge was the man of the match, :confused:

13. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just finished watching the game on RTPI and even though Benfica didn't play as good as they can they were the better team. A tie is fine but if there were a winner it should of been Benfica.

14. Hurley

Hurley New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Porto
    Well... :rolleyes:

Just because he is a French international does that make him a great player?

15. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    you're stubborn too, nows in skills attributes

Dos Santos is better in
    defensive role
    attackin' role
    speed
    technique

equal:
    Positioning (both crap)
    marking

Fyssas is better :
    cause is tall, nothing more

and Dos Santos plays better with Simão than Fyssas plays with Simão

16. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Who could argue with such an unbiased opinion? Seriously you can tell which team is more experienced and polished but Gil Vicente did what needed to be done to win while benfica did the same old diving and complaining that isn't anything new to the superliga but when first place does it against the last place team it's kinda pathetic. The tie was probably deserved, Benfica before the Game should of won by three but in the end I feel for Gil cause it took a freekick and deflection for them to lose against the "mighty" :rolleyes: Benfica.

17. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    I didn't get a chance to see the game.

But, damn, if Benfica played that bad against Gil Vicente then thanks for the tie.

What's going on? Last year Benfica was the team giving up 3-1 leads to Belenenses while Porto would pull it off late. Now Porto is giving away 2-0 leads in injury time and Benfica are stealing points on the road?

Sweet.

18. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    They almost pulled a Greece you could say. They played well defensively and took one of their only chances and scored a goal. On the flip side, Benfica played terribly yesterday. If that's how it is without Petit & Miguel, then please come back in a hurry. A last minute goal to tie with the last place team is hardly a good result. Most important though, we're still in the lead.

19. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Of course Gil deserved to win. Why stop there, I would even say they deserved to win 10-0. How about Gil Vicente for Campeao!!!

20. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    If Gil Vicente can get away with grabbing and holding on to players in the box, they will be tough to beat. I admit Nuno Gomes and Fyssas both dove and their yellow cards were deserved, but Sokota and Karadas were both grabbed and taken down in the box and the referee said play on. Benfica should of been awarded two penalties.

21. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Please don´t say that, simply because isn´t true.
    Everyone here in Portugal said that wasn´t a single penalty, Benfica players are complaining and diving too much.

22. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    No offense, but since when do you get to speak for the whole country. ;)

I do agree that there were no penalties though.

23. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Considering the penalties Benfica has had called against them over the past few years, Benfica could argue that there were two penalties (especially when Sokota was taken down, even the commentator on RTPI said that it was a penalty) that weren't called. I agree that Nuno Gomes and Fyssas both dove and maybe that hurt Benfica's chances of getting a penalty call in their favor when it was really a penalty. Either way that's not why Benfica didn't win, Benfica didn't play as well as they can and that's why they tied. By the way, Benfica isn't doing anymore diving than the rest of the Portuguese teams in the SuperLiga.

24. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    maybe it was, but one things for sure RTP, Rtpi commentateors are blatantly biased, fort the big three naturally. It pisses me off when a game is on the radio and when a big three team scores they mark out and play that music and when any other team scores they just say weather it was a good goal and are usually dull over it.

You don't see that in the EPL or in North America and is a contributing factor to keeping the big three at just that 3.

25. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    When i say everyone, i am talking about the media in general ;)