Giggs: never eligible for England

Discussion in 'England' started by Scotty, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  2. Gar7

Gar7 New Member

Feb 7, 2001
    Southington, CT
    He 's Welsh through and through! When he's done in Manchester he can come home and settle in the Valleys!

3. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Fixed your post. :)

4. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    it's funny how i seem to be the only person in england that understands this.

well, giggs has been my no.1 idol for over 10 years, so i've learnt quite a bit about the man.

football will never be the same again for me when he retires :(

5. crummy

crummy New Member

Sep 8, 2002
    Watford
    It's really quite straightforward.

Giggs played for England schoolboys - the selection criteria for schoolboy internationals is that to represent a country the kid must go to school in that country - Giggs, although born in Wales, went to school in England.

So as an example - if a 15 year old came over to England from the US and was good enough he could play for England schoolboys.

He couldn't however, play for England at representative level unless he has at least 1 grandparent who was born in England.

That is why somebody like Owen Hargreaves can play full internationals for England - but couldn't have played for England schoolboys.

Confused ???

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, the plot thickens.

7. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Giggs could play for england under residency rules.
    He has lived here for most of his life so he could've played for us.
    Just like various other players played for countries under residency rules...

Asamoah and various others for germany..
    Branko strupar for belguim..
    John barnes for england.
    etc, etc...

8. england4eva

england4eva New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    England
    i don't think England works like that now. he wouldn't change anyway IMHO!

9. crummy

crummy New Member

Sep 8, 2002
    Watford
    The residency rule does apply in England - it is applicable worldwide - all countries in FIFA competition have to use the same selection criteria.

I forgot about it to be honest.

Barnes was eligible to play for England as he was the holder of a British passport.

He could have played for any of the home nations.

10. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    I could be wrong, but I am fairly sure that Giggs could NOT qualify to play for England under residency either. This is because there is only one passport for all British citizens. (unlike players like Olisadebe or Asamoah)

There is some sort of "gentleman's agreement" between all the home nations. If the FIFA rules strictly applied, any "British" player could play for any of the home nations. This would mean (normally) that Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland could pick any of the English players who cannot get a game for England, even if they have no link with that 2nd country. The agreement negates this, and places an emphasis on birthplace(s).

The point of the agreement is that if you have a direct blood link to one of the home nations, you can't play for another home nation - unless you also have a direct link with that second country. Giggs has that direct blood link to one of the home nations (Wales, through himself) but doesn't have that link with England.

11. crummy

crummy New Member

Sep 8, 2002
    Watford
    You're probably right.

confused ??

You bet !!!

12. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001

Look like Vogts forgot about the so-called gentlemans agreement .
    He's seem hell-bent on filling his team up with english players...
    i read in the paper this mornng that he wants Gilchrist from West Brom...
    Add him to stockdale ,dobie ,devlin and all the others like elliot ,sullivan ,etc....
    The scottish FA is becoming like the Irish FA .
    They're spending all their time researching the backgrounds of english players to see if any of them have got scottish grandparents or any other family..
    This is getting beyond a joke...

13. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Aye cos all these are important first team regulars arent they.

14. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Have you actually got any players good enough to be called "important first team players"???
    Its doesn;t look like it does it??

Vogts comes down to england every time he needs a new player .He usually picks some journeyman like Devlin or graham alexander from preston .Players that spent their entire careers in the lower divisons ...Alexander spent most of his career at teams like luton and scunthorpe..

Scotland have got the same team selection policy as ireland and jamaica..
    the policy which goes along the lines of "why bother producing our own players when we can go to england and get an english born player with some distant link to our country??"...

what a fuckin' joke...
    You're getting worse than ireland for poaching players...

15. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Quite true.
    But, aren't a lot of this current crop actually born in Ireland?

16. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Yeah ,im not saying their whole team is like that..
    But they've got plenty of players with dubious heritage ..I'll never understand how they got clinton morrison.

17. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    None of those players broke the gentleman's agreement since Stockdale, Elliott, Sullivan and Dobie all have a Scottish grandparent. Devlin's father was born in Coatbridge.

And yes, I think some of these call ups are a joke since there are plenty good young Scottish players (outside of the ones that have already been used).

18. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    Simple. Clinton was eligible to play for about 5 countries and chose Ireland.

19. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    Poor git :D

I agree, I reckon hes just trying players out though, its better to get them capped in the event we could unearth a gem eligible for another country and lose them, rumour has it Sven was trying to get Shaun Maloney into the England youth set up after he broke into the team in his first old firm game for exactly that reason, and they did do it to a certain canadian as well.