Gibbs-Transfer in Winter?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by olafgb, Nov 6, 2003.

1. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Dortmund fan lived in Germany for a long time, and has seen quite a few Bundesliga matches, and also saw Gibbs in action as well. The kid might not set the world on fire from the start, but the potential is there for him to grow and do well. Plus Dortmund needs help in the back.

I thought Reyna did pretty well when he went to Wolfsburg. Wasn't he made captain for a bit as well?

2. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    yes, Reyna was captain for 1 or 1 1/2 yrs...he was particularly good against BM...had goals in 3 different games I believe, including in Munich for the win (which was historic/almost historic for a club like Wolfsburg)...

Final year, 1/2 year...Claudio got hurt, club was struggling some, new coach....and it all went downhill for him (but yet happy transfer to Glasgow....)

YA's should find more Wolfburg situations, IMO...smaller clubs willing to give responsibility early and often to the most talented, and not particular pedigrees....sure, you might not make it...but better than languishing in reserves somewhere (a la Donovan)

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like to bring up Donovan because I think that was a problem with maturity as much as any problem with Bayer. His agents did a poor job as well and need to accept some responsibility.

I think you are right though, our boys need to get to situations where they will have a chance to succeed in playing, and then look for big moves afterwards.

Danny Szetala comes to mind. With Man U reportedly chasing for his signature. The options are wide open for him, but a move to smaller club would be my suggestion.

As for Gibbs, reports are differing as to how he's playing, but we all seem to agree that he has potential but needs to develop it. Sammer might not be able to do much, but he has been able to develop some pretty decent defenders.

4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You'd expect Kirovski to play 2000 minutes? In one season? For God's sake man, the man needs his rest.

From Luvdagame: ``clint is barely playing worth his weight in mls right now. he should be sent down to the a-league. what he does in bl2 next year won't tell us much.''
    Well, that's asking a bit much, isn't it.

And to all, saying Hedjuk was poor in Switzerland is a bit harsh, isn't it? I mean, when he was booted from the first team, weren't they still holding folks under 12 gpg.

5. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Didn't Eric Wynalda tear up the Bundesliga, until they broke his leg?

6. Eisern Union

Eisern Union New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Berlin
    BL2 clubs won't spend the money because most of them don't have the money, especially for someone who has A) never proven himself and B) available for free six months later.

I hope it pans out for the kid, but if he doesn't tear up the Regionaliga (and he isn't) I don't see where all the optimism comes from.

7. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    NO, he didn´t. 9 goals in 32 matches are not what I call "tear up"....

He was on the shared 23rd place in the overall-goalgetter-board. 20yo old midfielder Christian Ziege had more goals than Wynalda.

8. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    You're right with the first, but not with the second part. Gibbs started pretty weak into the season when he was disappointed that he has to stay in St Pauli. Since then he is one of the top players of the league, often St Pauli's best player - only disadvantage is that he is too undisciplined as one yellow-red, a two games ban for complaining and right now his fifth yellow in just 11 games prove. Even the St Pauli fans, who didn't like him a lot in 2.Bundesliga, would now sign that he is one of their key players. Personally I wouldn't even agree that he played bad last year - and in Bundesliga two seasons ago he proved to be a quick learner, although he surely doesn't have the level yet.

And the Wynalda matter: he was definitely a shooting star in his rookie season with Saarbrücken. Couldn't keep the level though, but I don't think that it had anything do with an injury - he rather lost the ease of his play when the expectations grew.

9. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    But 9 goals in 10 matches is what I call "tearing it up." For at least a couple of months (during those 10 matches), he tore up the Bundesliga.

At the very least, I'd say that scoring 9 goals in 10 matches is having a real impact.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eisern...every fan has that player whom they massively overrate. Whom they can't fairly judge.

jri is Gibbs' biggest fan, and that includes his mother.

:)

11. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    WTF did you get this from?

He had 8 goals in the first 13 matches of the 92/93 season, still impressive but far away from your 9 in 10. He made his ninth goal of the season on the 32nd matchday.

After these first 13 Bundesliga matches he only scored 1! time in his following 41 games.

The best striker after 13 matches in this season was Anthony Yeboah with one goal more than Wynalda.

He was a "one-hit"-wonder. He had 13 good games and then he went down with the sinking Saarbruecken ship.

12. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    These web sites all say that he scored 9 goals in his first 10 games:

http://www.soccertimes.com/usteams/roster/men/wynalda.htm
    http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/players/eric_wynalda/
    http://www.spalding.com/players/ew.html
    http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/8884/soccer.html

They all could be wrong -- if they are, you should email them (at least soccertimes.com, which I think of as a fairly respectable soccer web site). Where are you getting your info from?

In any case, even if it was "only" 8 goals in 13 games, I still think that that counts as having an impact, no?

13. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Yes, they are all wrong. I got my numbers from www.dfb.de

If you want i could tell you the game, the minute of the goal and the final score......

The specific side is:
    http://www.dfb.de/bliga/bundes/archiv/1992/spielplan/right.php

His impact was very, very, very temporary. Thomas Dooley played over a decade in Germany. I think the difference is obvious.

14. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    On www.soccerplayers.com they say he scored 12 goals in 28 games in 93/94. That may be right, but he scored them in the second Bundesliga and not in the first.

www.soccertimes.com says he made 2 goals in 94/95 season, but he didn´t. He made two goals in the following season, but again the second league.

Looks like they should take a closer look on where they get their numbers from.

15. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Well, the foregoing has at least a partial basis in reality. Reyna played in Wolfsburg's first two BL years, during which time they played Bayern four times. In the 1997-98 season, Wolfsburg lost 5-2 at Bayern and 3-2 at home, with Reyna netting goals in each of those games (at 3-0 and 2-0). In 1998-99, Wolfsburg lost 1-0 at Bayern and 3-0 at home. Obviously, Reyna did not score in those games (he started one and entered the home game as a sub) and obviously, he did not score a winning goal in Munich.

16. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Do you have data on Cup games.....I coulda swore he scored on a free kick in Munich (in a win)

17. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    The last time Bochum or Saarbruecken played Bayern in the DFB-Cup was in the mid-80´s, so it´s not even possible that he scored in such a game.

He never scored against Bayern.

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    he might have been referring to Claudio Reyna when he was with Wolfsburg.

19. soccerfreak #1

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    Oh, but still wrong. Wolfsburg lost 3:4 by pk.

20. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Good call on the third goal. In fact, Wolfsburg did host Bayern in a Pokal 2d round game in 1997, and Reyna did score the first goal in that game. Wolfsburg took a 2-0 lead, but the game ended up tied at 3-3 after regulation. Bayern advanced after OT and penalty kicks. I am almost certain that Wolfsburg's first win against Bayern came this fall (3-2 at the VW), and while Reyna is good, I can categorically state that he did not score in that game.

21. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    (Wolfsburg....just beat Bayern.....While Reyna is good, I can categorically...Reyna did not score...)

Haha...that was a good one (intended or not)...good show...

BTW- I reckon Reyna didn't score but 6 or 7 goals at Wolfsburg in total (don't know for sure), so to get 3 goals against (solely) the Evil Empire is not too shabby...and really kindof odd actually (best competition brings out best in a player? dunno..)

22. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Ingo Peter (ex-Chicago Sting) just got let go/resigned at Regensburg....not good news for the Regensburg option I reckon (although I wasn't high on that one anyway)..

23. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Regensburg apparently is trying to get St Pauli's Coach Franz Gerber. Wouldn't harm their chances to get Gibbs I guess.

24. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    kicker today notes that Gibbs is one of ten players, who were already allowed to go on winter vacation. They add that it's rather improbable that he returns to Hamburg, but probably joins Regensburg.

I'm not quite sure though, if they don't stick to old stories. Regensburg fired their American-friendly coach Ingo Peter (formerly Siegen), they didn't sign St Pauli's American-friendly coach Franz Gerber (still St Pauli) and still didn't decide if Peter's former assistant remains head coach after the break. I wouldn't wonder if they lost their interest in Gibbs meanwhile. Might be that Gibbs becomes a topic at LR Ahlen, who are 16th in 2.Bundesliga, signed Ingo Peter and have tons of money due to a rich President.

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Gibbs makes the most of his opportunity. Is there any interest from bundesliga clubs? If so why play in the 2 bundesliga. Gibbs has a tremendous upside but his club woes could prevent him from developing the talent he has and hurt his chances of making the '06 squad.