Getting our best 11 on the field for WC 06

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Murray, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    As far as I'm concerned, the most important point is getting our best 23 on a plane and over to Germany. The WC is a tournament...and it can be a grueling one...we might play games where we need possesion players to keep the ball away from dangerous attackers...we might play a game where we load the line-up with speed to expose and opposition's aging back 4...we'll have injuries and yellow cards...every player won't play every game, nor should every player do so.

International soccer, especially at major tournaments, is a dynamic sport...if our true "Best XI" never lines up together, we can still be very successful...if there even is a true best lineup...to compromise, I'd say, only considering field players, a best 15 would be a more realistic list.

Here's mine, in the order that they came to my mind

1. Donovan
    2. Beasley
    3. EJ
    4. Bocanegra
    5. Lewis
    6. Cherundolo
    7. Gibbs
    8. Gooch
    9. Reyna
    10. O'Brien
    11. Mastroeni
    12. McBride
    13. Dempsey
    14. Wolff
    15. Hejduk

I think this is a more applicable list than our best XI.

Thoughts?

2. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    ------------Keller------------

Dolo---Onyewu---Gibbs---JOB

----------Mastroeni----------

Reyna----------------Beasley

-----------Donovan----------

-----Johnson----Mcbride------

Doesn't seem that hard to me.

3. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd agree, but with Lewis over Reyna at this point. It's been a long time since Claudio showed any quality with the USMNT. If JOB isn't in back, Bocanegra takes that slot, and if completely healthy, JOB slides in over Pablo. O'Brien was very wise to get into the mix during the Gold Cup, as he needed to get some time in camp to demonstrate his abilities and fitness.....Reyna should take note.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A marking back in a 3 man backline does NOT have any opportunity to get forward. Every team in MLS (and I mean this literally) has at least one player better suited for that role than Steve C. Califf, Namoff, just from guys whose names end with 2 f's. Boswell, Curtin, just from guys who came out of nowhere. Hejduk, Sanneh, just from guys who washed out of Germany.

5. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    I'm going to have to disagree. I think the right-sided player in a three-man back line can get forward, especially with two d-mids positioned in front for cover.

And as I mentioned on another thread, I'm pretty sure Steve C. played in a 3-man back line in the last home WCQ against Costa Rica, and I seem to remember him getting forward some...not as much as usual, but some.

However, against elite teams, I doubt Bruce would throw that many players forward, and that's a prudent tactical decision.