Get well soon, Preston Burpo

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, May 29, 2010.

1. neophilus

neophilus Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Methuen, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts and prayers are with you Burpo.

I'm not even thinking of him seeing playing time again, I hope his injury heals well so he can continue to live his life without it plaguing him. Hopefully in 5 years there's no trace of this injury any more.

I appreciated that the trainer hung his jersey next to the bench for the second half.

2. Stiff Nicol

Stiff Nicol Member

Jun 13, 2004
    C'mon you people you are talking like he died. He's out for the season, but I expect he'll be back next year.

3. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    38 years old with rods in his leg? He's not coming back.

4. beryl420

beryl420 Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Hartford
    Best to Burpo. Hope he heals and has the option to return if he so chooses.

I was about 10 feet away from the exact same play in college (although it was the attacker who suffered the injury). It isn't pretty and it isn't quiet. It was exceptionally disturbing. I fully understand Nyassi's reaction.

I haven't seen the replay (they didn't show it at the stadium), but I am surprised it was the goalie who got the worst of that collision. Usually, it is the field player who gets caught in a compromised position.

5. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See my post above.

6. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get well soon Preston...

Thoughts and prayers are with you..!!

7. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    May his fractures be of the simpler/"clean" kind. Best of luck Preston, your time with team has been small, but your contributions large. We won last night because of two great saves by you.. we wish you the best and hope for a full and speedy recovery.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it's worth much, but we heard at the taiglate last night that both bones broke, but they were both clean breaks. We also heard he was already in surgery around 11, but not fully sure.

Get well soon Preston ... and good luck.

9. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the bone ends bon't break through the skin ( causing a compound Fx)
    the chance of infection is much less. The biggest problem with a closed Fx like he has is that lower third breaks are very slow healers and a significant percentage go on to not heal (non-union) and require further extensive interventions. Odds are with him for a good recovery and ability to return to action next season.

10. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As he was wheeled off behind the visitors bench, we wished him the best. In obvious agony, he managed to give us the thumbs up. Man I hope all goes well for him and his family.

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very Theismaneque. Nyassi took that really hard, makes you wonder the influence Burpo had on that team the short time he has been there. This very well could be the last time we see Burpo in net. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

12. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    My thoughts and prayers to Burpo.

13. Gutch220

Gutch220 Member

Apr 26, 2010
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he'll be back at the begining of next season at the latest. I don't think an injury like that will effect him as much as a striker/midfielder/etc. Plus he's a keeper so at 37, he could still have a couple years left if he wants.
    Just look at Charlie Davies to see how people can come back. Even though Charlie is younger, he had much worse injuries. Burpo will be walking by the end of the summer.
    Mentally though, I doubt he will ever be fearless going for another 50/50 ball ever again.
    I hope he gets well soon.

On a side note: does anybody know if these trainers have/use morphine injections on players (on the field) with such catastrophic injuries just to relieve the pain and/or keep them relatively calm?

14. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Get well Preston!!

Has there been an update today on his status?

15. Hooligan Mom

Hooligan Mom New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    MetroWest (MA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get well soon, Preston! Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery!

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best wishes on a speedy recovery Preston, you've been great all year in goal.

17. Stiff Nicol

Stiff Nicol Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Geez, here i try and put some positive spin on it just in case he's reading this and you snuff it. Care to volunteer for ugliest guy in the stadium now that Mariner and Burpo won't be around?

Regardless, the overall sentiment is coming through - Preston was a definite asset to this team, was definitely loved and appreciated by fans and teammates alike. It's great to see everyone acknowledge it, much as we love Matt Reis.

Say what you will, but the Revs have historically had some of the best, classiest GKs in MLS history: Heaney, Zenga(?) Feuer, Causey, Warren, Sommer, Fernandez, JMM, Brown, Reis... welcome to the club, Mr. Shuttleworth.

18. boring

boring New Member

Mar 5, 2010
    London
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What even happend i missed the game last night. Sounds like he broke it from everything i've read but noone's actually said what he did to it everyone's just said that he got injured & it was really realy bad. When is Reis back anywho?

19. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    preston likes to burp-o!

20. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get well soon Preston.

21. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Soc4Us

Soc4Us Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Dunstable, MA
    I was in the stadium last night and felt proud how the crowd was cheering for him. It was long and loud and he obviously took some note of it when he raised his hand.

And best of luck to him.

23. Stiff Nicol

Stiff Nicol Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Damn, how could I have left off Mr. Burpo off that list? Other than it's obvious he belongs since this thread is about him.

24. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery Preston, you have been invaluable this season.

25. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see it and from it sounds like I don't want to. Terrible luck we have this year. I hope this isn't career-ending for Burpo, he's been a great soldier this whole time.