"...get to a higher level" (The January Transfer Window Thread)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we're basically paying to have a guy they knew was injured, this is ********ing mental. What a shit window, basically subtraction by addition. Even if Schalke wouldn't sell and the fee was met, why the ******** wasn't there a backup plan? Why were there (allegedly) 2 loan bids made ON DEADLINE day for strikers? Why not Jan 1st? So frustrating, luckily this months schedule is light and we have a completely full 100% injury free squad. Ridiculous.

2. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    seems that way.
    there's little excuse for the way this club have approached transfer dealings in the last few years. it's borderline incompetence, especially given the on field situation right now. does no one at the club see this?
    of course, we *might* win the league, but it will have been so much harder and requiring so much more luck than would have been needed had the club an actual clue about what they are doing.
    it's the same damn mistake over and over and over again.

3. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I'll be honest, if we would have managed to keep Theo and Ramsey heathy I wouldn't care if we brought in any players but we don't live in a world where we aren't fuvked by injuries consistently. This squad has so much talent and potential that 1 quality player could have won us the league. I'll still keep believing in this squad because they deserve it but damn do they deserved help as well. Wenger, will have to get every single line up spot on from now on and hope the lads aren't run into the ground.

4. Dynamo and ArsenalFC

Aug 5, 2006
    Beaumont
    Wenger always does just enough to keep me hanging on...signing Carzola Podolski and Giroud had me optimistic for last season. Then he sells RVP, which still hurts. Then there was the Ozil signing with a good chance to win the league. Then this.

sigh.... :( I just don't understand the incompetence of not having a back up plan like many of you have said either.

5. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I'm so glad last seasons talk about the Bundesliga being top 3 in the world is over. With the last CL final people were being delusional.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Uhhhh that talk is over? Besides England, what other country put 4 teams into the Champions League knockout round? Just because Bayern is better than the rest of the league doesn't mean that the rest of the league is automatically trash. You can argue that Spain has a better quality league, but you absolutely cannot make that argument for Italy or France and maintain any credibility. The top 3 leagues in Europe/the world are Spain, England, and Germany, in whatever order you want to place them.

Loddar, mebeSajid, daedalus and 2 others repped this.
  7. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what are you talking about?

8. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are we gonna do without Kim K for a month! He was supposed to be our savior! Oh, what a world, what a world!

kanonier repped this.
  9. iffstarz

iffstarz New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Signed the wrong Kim K in my eyes. Kim Kardashian has better ball control ;) and most importantly fit.

3rd_I repped this.
  10. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    #2235 R9Kevinr9, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    Overall quality the Italian league is much better. If you base your entire judgement on a cup competition than actually watching the league then you'd see the difference.

I'd say England, Spain, and Italy. In my opinion the French and German league are equal. But of course most will not agree because Bayern is the best and Dortmund was so good and Schalke, whatever.

11. 3rd_I

3rd_I Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Problem is, you never know whose ball she's got her eye on. Btw, folks aren't bemoaning the player's injury, just that Arsenal again seem unprepared for scenario we've seen before.

12. iffstarz

iffstarz New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah I know. It frustrates me that Wenger can't seem to multi-task when it comes to chasing multiple targets.

He really should delegate chasing squad depth to his minions and only be personally involved in the big fish like Draxler

Fifty repped this.
  13. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed; people were losing it on Draxler coming here when he's not even the finished product or close to it. Would've preferred using that money to reinforce Arsenal's weak spots.

And now Kallstrom injured his back on the beach, Arsenal found out about it at the medical...STILL went ahead with the move.

o_O

14. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Schalke wanted the buyout clause + another few million euros extra after the WC. That's what they're banking on.

Of course, Draxler blows chunks or gets injured in Brazil: There goes that pipe dream for Schalke.

15. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    As upset as I am about the transfer window it actually appears that we met Schalke's evaluation (or close to it) but they didn't want to risk losing out on the CL. It's a little concerning that we never seem to have a good plan b but I suppose kudos to Wenger for actually trying to sign the kid. I'm still upset but oddly enough that made me feel better for the summer. Is that silly?

16. blueguitar322

blueguitar322 Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Has Draxler actually stated that it was Arsenal who met Schalke's price? Maybe I missed something, but the interview I read didn't specify the team. We know Bayern was in on Draxler as well - perhaps they were the team that met Schalke's price, but Schalke's manager didn't want to sell him within the Bundesliga?

After all, that would lend credence to Arsene's statement that the whole Draxler thing was tabloid fantasy, and never started with him.

17. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, this is funny or tragic (or whatever your opinion maybe).

Seems like RvP wants to come back to Arsenal in the summer (as per the Daily Fail). Seems he's lost that loving feeling in Manchester.

18. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way we would pay his salary, and from what i understand, his departure was much more contentious then it was portrayed in the media. I think he has burned his bridge with Arsenal.

Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  19. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost feel sorry for RVP. It's a weird situation of feeling sympathy because you know that someone is making a horrible short-sighted decision, and yet at the same time wanting them to suffer for their mistake. Like watching a 50 year old guy ditch his wife of 20 years so he can marry the cocktail waitress he met in Vegas the past weekend. You know it's not going to end well, but then you think maybe that's what he deserves.

20. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most Arsenal fans are enjoying his situation, I know I sure am. Karma. Perhaps he just needs to get back in touch with his younger self. Then it'll all be ok.

R9Kevinr9 repped this.
  21. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the little boy inside him is singing a different tune now. Anyway, thanks but no thanks. I doubt he would have a welcome reception in the locker room (not to mention in the stands), he antagonized a lot of people at the club.

22. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, as it turns out, Kallstrom is a perfect fit for our injury prone team.

daedalus repped this.
  23. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to forget or forgive his press release before his departure....

every player has a right to leave a club for whatever reason..but without reason, burying your former employer who stood by you for nearly a decade is unforgivable

daedalus and charlie15 repped this.
  24. gogunners14

gogunners14 Member+

Dec 6, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Report this morning that we're trying to cancel kallstrom loan deal. This just keeps getting better

aphex repped this.
  25. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL